Dimensioning Custom Modelspace Objects in Paperspace

ksperopoulos

I'm curious...can one add a type of object to be recognized by associative dimensions?

Can't say that I have ever seen that as an option.

Do these custom objects stand out in any way (visibly) that one could readily notice? When inserted are they on their own layer?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ksperopoulos

• ReMark

• SLW210

• TheCADnoob

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ideally - no. I want to eliminate the user needing to select a particular dimension style because we deal with multiple scales all the time. I think I am going to see if I can access the viewport's scale and multiply that to the measured distance string in the dimension object. I'm just not sure how fluid that method is going to be or if it can even be accomplished.

is there an enabler for the object type

Yes, there is, but the object enabler is for people who do not have the authoring software so they can see the objects in the model. Since I am drawing with the software, I don't need the enabler.

As are all the other objects you are dimensioning too right?

Yes - 99% of the things we work with are 3D and drawn with our software. We only reference 2D objects (e.g. grid lines, walls, floors).

you can always fudge it with DDEDIT, but the tenacious side of me says thats a cop out.

Never :nono:

I have a little bit of an issue with dimensioning. We have objects in modelspace and we want to place dimensions for these objects in paperspace. The problem is that these modelspace objects were created using an add-on software package. So AutoCAD does not scale the text within the dimension like it does with native AutoCAD objects. Is there a way for me to make these dimensions read correctly in paperspace?

Have you asked the maker of the add-on software package for help? Do they advertise the software as being AutoCAD compatible?

Have you asked the maker of the add-on software package for help? Do they advertise the software as being AutoCAD compatible?

That is the only way the software can run - is on top of AutoCAD.

DIMLFAC adjust to suit. In your example: 20'-0" in Modelspace = 5" in Paperspace you would set DIMLFAC=48 for the dimension.

If that doesn't work, post a drawing with one of these dimensions.

DIMLFAC

See Also

Set the Scale for Dimensions

Type: Real

Saved in: Drawing

Initial value: 1.0000

Sets a scale factor for linear dimension measurements.

All linear dimension distances, including radii, diameters, and coordinates, are multiplied by DIMLFAC before being converted to dimension text. Positive values of DIMLFAC are applied to dimensions in both model space and paper space; negative values are applied to paper space only.

DIMLFAC applies primarily to nonassociative dimensions (DIMASSOC set 0 or 1). For nonassociative dimensions in paper space, DIMLFAC must be set individually for each layout viewport to accommodate viewport scaling.

DIMLFAC has no effect on angular dimensions, and is not applied to the values held in DIMRND, DIMTM, or DIMTP.