Shell Command

spursnutter

I am doing something wrong with the shell command but cannot see where I am going wrong.

I create a cylinder with a diameter of 50 and the height as 200.

I the select the shell command and pick the cylinder. I remove every face other than the top and press enter. I then enter a value of 10 then enter,enter but nothing happens.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spursnutter

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• SEANT

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Command: _solidedit

Solids editing automatic checking: SOLIDCHECK=1

Enter a solids editing option [Face/Edge/Body/Undo/eXit] : _body

Enter a body editing option

[imprint/seParate solids/Shell/cLean/Check/Undo/eXit] : _shell

Select a 3D solid:

Remove faces or [undo/Add/ALL]:

Enter the shell offset distance: 20

Modeling Operation Error:

Change in topology detected.

Enter a body editing option

[imprint/seParate solids/Shell/cLean/Check/Undo/eXit] :

Solids editing automatic checking: SOLIDCHECK=1

Enter a solids editing option [Face/Edge/Body/Undo/eXit] :

Well I suppose that is one way of doing it that I had not considered. Personally, I would have used a profile and revolved it or I might have created the cylinder (in any number of ways) and added a base. Each to his own. That's the power of CAD.

After thinking on your problem for a bit I decided to attempt it. What I did different was to not remove any faces when I used the SHELL command. The result was a cylinder with a wall thickness, as described, but both ends were "capped". I then used the SLICE command to lop off the top 1/3rd of the cylinder thus ending up with a "cup". Try it.

I believe your problem lies when select which faces to remove. To do a cup type deal just click top face of cylinder when autocad asked which faces.

The first pick selects the solid.

Then click in the middle of the face to remove (not an edge which would actually pick 2 adjoining faces). Once you figure out how it works it will always work.

I remove every face other than the top and press enter.

I don't think this is really what you mean as if you remove every face except the top face you would end up with a 10mm disc (another cylinder).

After thinking on your problem for a bit I decided to attempt it. What I did different was to not remove any faces when I used the SHELL command. The result was a cylinder with a wall thickness, as described, but both ends were "capped". I then used the SLICE command to lop off the top 1/3rd of the cylinder thus ending up with a "cup". Try it.

I tried what you have suggested but still nothing.!

The first pick selects the solid.

Then click in the middle of the face to remove (not an edge which would actually pick 2 adjoining faces). Once you figure out how it works it will always work.

I did the steps you said but again still nothing. I am obviously doing something rediculous wrong as nothing happens.

J.D.Mathers had a good suggestion. Did you try that?

Are you sure you are using a solid to start with?

I admit that some of the ways I do things might not be considered correct but I typically work in 2D wireframe so I can visualize what is taking place. Thus, when I create a cylinder (via extrude) or use the shell or slice commands on an object I can see what happens. After I am satified I have what I want I switch to a conceptual or realistic view to see the end result. I'll even go as far as to use the 3DOrbit command to confirm it. I guess I don't believe my own eyes at times. Call me silly.

J.D.Mathers had a good suggestion. Did you try that?

Are you sure you are using a solid to start with?

I admit that some of the ways I do things might not be considered correct but I typically work in 2D wireframe so I can visualize what is taking place. Thus, when I create a cylinder (via extrude) or use the shell or slice commands on an object I can see what happens. After I am satified I have what I want I switch to a conceptual or realistic view to see the end result. I'll even go as far as to use the 3DOrbit command to confirm it. I guess I don't believe my own eyes at times. Call me silly.

I also work in 2d wire frame mode as you can see more once you get used to millions of isolines. I just don't understand why I am having so much of a problem with this damn Sheel command. I feel I have tried everything. I create the solid straight from the cylinder command so I know it is definitly a solid. I then select shell and select the cylinder. I then remove the top face of the cylinder which in the command line it says it has although it is still a dotted line. I then Enter the shell offset distance to 10 & then notice this error: Enter the shell offset distance: 10

I'd go back and try it the way JDM suggested. Failing that all I can say is post the drawing in hopes someone will take a look at it and see what's going on.

I then remove the top face of the cylinder which in the command line it says it has although it is still a dotted line. .

Unlike more modern 3D CAD programs that highlight the selected face - AutoCAD only highlights the boundary of the face which can make it difficult to tell what has been selected, especially when selecting multiple faces. There is also a bug that causes AutoCAD to shake, rattle and roll while cycling through all faces when shaded and multiple viewports and the part has curved edges. But that is another thread.

I then Enter the shell offset distance to 10 & then notice this error: Enter the shell offset distance: 10

I believe there is an Enter missing in that workflow. I've posted the step-by-step here several times before. A search might turn up previous posts on this topic. http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29237&highlight=shell

This could all be resolved much more quickly if you attached what you have so far. It sounds trivial to reproduce but sometimes users do some unexpected things that confuse the issue at hand.

Here you go. I dont know why but this dwg just wont do it.

Move the center of the bottom circle to #0,0,0 it will then work.

Move the center of the bottom circle to #0,0,0 it will then work.

Well I would never have thought of that. Why did I have to do that then? Why wouldn't it do it where it was? Why is water wet?

Is there a way to use shell to make a open ended tube?