Block insert: Immense!

rhbelter

Ahoy, Dadgad,

So how so do I fix this serious fault in my Autocad Program/files.

Yeah, I have indeed flown a LOT of interesting airplanes.

In fact, I'm one of the five guys who put the 'coffin-nails' into the F-111. McNamara's 'wet dream'.

He, and IT, are both mercifully GONE.

Enjoy /s/ Bob

s

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rhbelter

• Dadgad

• ReMark

• danellis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you earlier said IMMENSE, you mean it LOOKS immense?

As when I select everything in your original drawing it is only 303kb, and contains 101 blocks and assorted other stuff?

So, I could use some clarification?

rhbelter quick properties display.jpg

Ahoy, Dan,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

You solved the problem. When I go to Format: Units: Insertion scale: enter 'miles', block entry goes just fine. Measurements are now correct. If I insert a block, explode it, rename, and re-create it, re-insert it, becomes correct in dimension.

I open other files, and the 'Insertion Scale' is 'unitless'. Same effect -- immense blocks. Change to 'Miles', and OK.

Now: My question: What happened, and why, and why does it work now? ---- Too clever for me.

Enjoy /s/ Bob

You should familiarize yourself with the -DWGUNITS command.

It provides a one stop service for sorting out such anomalies, by consolidating all of the related and relevant commands into one concise sequence of commands, instead of randomly jumping aroung between the different commands.

Create a copy of your file to experiment with.

Then either stretch your commandline history up, so that it will display about 10 or 12 lines, or hit F2.

Then start -DWGUNITS at the commandline, and pay attention, read the commandline prompts carefully, because this command can really do it all, including scaling the entire data base if need be, AND you tell it to.

Very glad Dan piped up.

As you run it, watch the output in the commandline history, you will be able to see what got bent out of shape. :beer:

Glad you are back on the deck, and out of the drink.

Now: My question: What happened, and why, and why does it work now? ---- Too clever for me.

Enjoy /s/ Bob

In my experience 99% of the times when an object comes in at what seem to be the wrong size the cause is a units mismatch. I probably know or can recognise the most common ones: 25.4, 1000, 304.8 (millimetres mismatches with inches, meters, and feet, respectively) so I thought a quick google of "what unit is 63360 time bigger than what unit" was worth a try. Once you know the mismatch is miles/inches you know what setting to change. If you're going to be using these blocks in future (or perhaps even as a learning experience) it's also worth looking into the absolute number - the difference between inches and miles is extreme, so I'm going to use inches and feet as an example. Basically you can probably tell instinctively whether an object you've just measured at 1.5 units is supposed to be 1.5 inches or 18. From that you can learn whether you need to just switch the units, just scale the object or do both.

As for why things like this pop up: the reason is largely historical. Units only appeared in AutoCAD relatively recently ('96, I think). Before that everything was unitless. Because drawings, settings, and standards get handed down from user to user weird discrepancies like that (my firm, for example, draw site layout in meters with the units set to millimetres) also get handed down.

dJE

Ahoy, Dadgad, Dan,

I don't really understand your explanations, but 'things' are working OK now. It is clear that I had 'missed-it-by a MILE'. It was a 'teaching moment' for me. Again: Thank you.

Enjoy /s/ Bob

Typically when I receive a drawing from someone else, I will run the -dwgunits command, since looking at the information it displays you can see what the database is, meaning metric or Imperial, and what the units are set to, inches, feet, yards, and yes MILES are all imperial, but if one fails to pay attention, things cn get a bit out of hand. :)

You will also be asked if you want to scale objects on isertion, which if you are working with Unitless blocks, is probably not a good idea.

If there is a need the entire Data Base can be rescaled too. Maybe you realized you had done it on a metric mmbased template, and you wanted it to be in units of a mile, a foot, inch, or whatever you could tell it to fix the whole database to comply with the intended units.

Because all of the numerous variables need to play nicely together, it is helpful to have them all display in a logical sequence.

Edited by Dadgad

Ahoy, AutoCad,

Thank all of you for your support of me and my 'glitch', in which I went a MILE off course. I don't really know how it happened, because I knew nuthin' of INSUNITS before. At least it is only this computer/program so afflicted. If it had scrambled the files of a large commercial activity, it would be a colossal mess, enjoyed only by the lawyers of the injured.

This computer is a 'loaner' from a friend who is off on an extended trip, for me to get a look at '16. I have '11 on my own, and considering my limited needs (and $$$), I'll stay there, plus I am studying Inventor, which is more appropriate for my efforts. I'll return the computer -- 'slightly bent'. BTW, for you small airplane/engine guys, I have written two pieces for EAA, pertinent to the 'push-pull' airplane featured -- see: http://eaaforums.org/forumdisplay.php?5-Homebuilders-Corner. Go to pp3, and 4, find:

Needed: A twin: The Airplane and Needed: A twin: The Engines. Find them on pp 3, and pp 4. I suggest that my thesis is quite valid, but generated little interest.

Again, thanks for the help.

Enjoy /s/ Bob

Now that you divulge that the computer is not your usual ride, try this.

Turn on the computer and a blamk drawing will automagically open.

Once it is open, with nothing added to it, just empty, run the -DWGUNITS command.

I am curious to see what the function reports back to you, in terms of current units, etc.,

but just use the -DWGUNITS, to see what the current default settings are.

Don't start changing things, just keep hitting enter, and pay attention to what is reported at the commandline. :beer:

I am totally swamped at the moment with close to a thousand drawings I need to check, going out of the country tonight on the redeye.

I look forward to checking out those two links you posted, when I am not so time constrained. :)

Ahoy, Dadgad,

OK, In turn I see:

Drawing units display format

1.Scientific

2. Decimal

3 .... etc

Then:

Linear display format : 2

Linear display precision : 4

Scale objects from other drawings upon insert

. yes

no

Match insunits to drawing units?

. yes

no

Repeat starting at top line.

I made no inputs or changes.

Thanks /s/ Bob

rh, the very first response is the one that tells you a number which is in Vanilla 1 through 6, that identifies the current database units.

I work in mms, so want to see , if I see a different value, then I need to think about what I want to do, meaning how to deal with it.

If I am working in mms and am given a drawing, for which the response is which stands for inches, then I will probably want to enter , and start changing that database to mms, so that they will play nicely together. READ THE COMMANDLINE, work on a copy for practice, and go all the way through the series of prompts.