What is the point of...

A1DWG

"Nearest" in the OSNAPS. To me AutoCAD is a precision tool, OK I work in the Construction Industry, so I work to 1mm, the Builder works to 5-10mm. But why whould anyone want to draw something Near to something else, surely it is either a set distance away, at the Endpoint, Midpoint, Intersection of, but not just somewhere Near? I always suggest people dont use nearest, we have had several instances of lines being Near to the ends of lines, and dimensions Near(ish) to the end of that...

A colleague say he uses it when he wants to stretch a viewport, even after I showed him how to achieve the same without any snap settings...

Enough of my rant, anyone else feel the same, of have any other AutoCAD commands which seem pointless?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A1DWG

• skipsophrenic

• Jaelin

• Hedgehog

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In all my experience with AutoCAD I can say with 100% certainty that I have never used OSnaps with the Nearest option. Never. Seems pointless.

e.g......

Command: Dist

Specify first point: nea

to Specify second point: per

to

Distance = 50.00, Angle in XY Plane = 162, Angle from XY Plane = 0

Delta X = -47.59, Delta Y = 15.33, Delta Z = 0.00

In all my experience with AutoCAD I can say with 100% certainty that I have never used OSnaps with the Nearest option. Never. Seems pointless.

I can't say I agree. I can say I have never intentionally used them though with 100% certainty. :)

If i've got two lines that ar offest from each other, i use mearest, an then per to find exact parralell distance. - especially if they are at an oblique angle - saves setting up a new ucs just for 1 measurement

If i've got two lines that ar offest from each other, i use mearest, an then per to find exact parralell distance. - especially if they are at an oblique angle - saves setting up a new ucs just for 1 measurement

Is that not the same as measuring from the Mid, or End or an Intersection of line 1 to Perperdicular (of line 2)?

if they're bot the same length yes, but if 1 is drawn at 10000mm and 0ne at 50000 long giong on oblique angle and the mpoints arent aligned an neyther endpoint parralel to each other then that the qickest way i know

if they're bot the same length yes, but if 1 is drawn at 10000mm and 0ne at 50000 long giong on oblique angle and the mpoints arent aligned an neyther endpoint parralel to each other then that the qickest way i know

Is this what you are describing?

screen dump.jpg

To me AutoCAD is a precision tool

The end product can be very precise, but that doesn't mean that all parts of the process of creating it have to be... :glare:

... also you may only want to place an item relative to one (non ortho) plane of another entity & modify it from there :wink:

I don't use it much & certainly wouldn't have it as an autosnap.

Exectly what i'm on about :)

I took the distance command from the End of line 1 (short) and to the Perpendicular of Line 2, this gave me the offset distance. Is that the "apparent" or "extended" perperdicular point?:)

The end product can be very precise, but that doesn't mean that all parts of the process of creating it have to be... :glare:

... also you may only want to place an item relative to one (non ortho) plane of another entity & modify it from there :wink:

I don't use it much & certainly wouldn't have it as an autosnap.

I totally agree, if I want to place an item somewhere near, I will select first point outside the physical drawing and move it by "eye".:)

:? there are 2? oh boy, back to the text books 4 me

I think I have confused you:oops:

There is only one Perpendicular, but it will extend beyond the extent of the line...Oh dear, I think its time for a caffine break as I dont seem to be explaining this very well.:?

I totally agree, if I want to place an item somewhere near, I will select first point outside the physical drawing and move it by "eye".:)

Ah... but you're assuming that one of these points is completely arbitrary... what if only certain aspects (plains) of the points are?:?

I have to say that the only time I use nearest to any extent is usually in labeling. (i.e. when placing a leader to label a line, circle, etc.) I do use it sometimes to measure a perpendicular distance as skipsophrenic is talking about however thats only if I don't have a convenient midpoint or intersection to work with. Typically my Osnap settings are set for endpoint, midpoint, intersection and node and that is what I use 95% of the time.

I use nearest a lot, when is it appropriate. Drawings stay very precise. Not sure why you would rant about something like this but many of us use it and would not want it to go away.

I use nearest a lot, when is it appropriate. Drawings stay very precise. Not sure why you would rant about something like this but many of us use it and would not want it to go away.

Delicately put, i would say it would be rather . . . . . . . annoying to lose the nearest snap

At the moment, I'm with A1 on this. I have never used nearest, and can't think of a reason why I should want to.

However, I am prepared to admit that my reluctance to use it may be borne of ignorance, as I do not really have a clue as to what you can achieve with it.