What is the point of...

A1DWG

Delicately put, i would say it would be rather . . . . . . . annoying to lose the nearest snap

I would agree. I know I could get by without it, but to me it would be an inconvenience. Not a major one but an inconvenience nevertheless.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A1DWG

• skipsophrenic

• Jaelin

• Hedgehog

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use nearest a lot, when is it appropriate. Drawings stay very precise. Not sure why you would rant about something like this but many of us use it and would not want it to go away.

I didnt mean to offend or upset anyone:oops:

I guess I was just letting off steam. I've just spent two days "tidying up" a drawing where corners of a building didn't meet at end of lines etc, dimensions were taken from a point near to the end of a line etc... So ive redrawn the layout and re-dimensioned the lot. After that the idea of Nearest seemed a bit of a sore point.

There is no point... they just put it there so we would go like this on threads:

- How can I snap to nearest?

- Snapping to nearest?

- Osnap to Near object?

- How to Nearsnap!

- Why the hell does autocad have no Nearest Osnap? :reallymad:

- What to put in the next autocad. (Jou can guess right)

Thats why :shock:

I didn't mean to offend or upset anyone:oops:

I guess I was just letting off steam. I've just spent two days "tidying up" a drawing where corners of a building didn't meet at end of lines etc, dimensions were taken from a point near to the end of a line etc... So I've redrawn the layout and re-dimensioned the lot. After that the idea of Nearest seemed a bit of a sore point.

No offense taken on my part. I completely understand where your coming from.

I work in land surveying and currently am working a right-of-way mapping project for a 2.5 mile long 2-lane road widening to 4-lane road. Very congested area with hundreds of different little parcels here and there. These parcels are to be calculated with precision of course.

Well, I was given this job after my supervisor (before she was demoted) had already prepared all the parcel work. I start working with the individual parcels and 75% of the parcels were eyeballed or snapped to nearest. Very few of the parcels closed.

With surveying that means I have to go back through and recalculate each parcel, figure out where she based her rotation, determine what the original parcel was based on, etc. So a couple month project has turned into a 6-month project because of someone not doing their work right the first time.

That being said, I like having the nearest command, and use it quite a bit but it can be a big problem in the hands of someone who doesn't have the work ethic to do the job right.

Here's an idea! :idea: Can we have someone develop the ability to create admin rights only for snap to nearest?? :lol: Lol!!

Here's an idea! :idea: Can we have someone develop the ability to create admin rights only for snap to nearest?? :lol: Lol!!

Unfortunately, often times the ones who would set up those rights are themselves the biggest offenders!

I use nearest everyday. However, I don't use that to replace endpoint or midpoint. I only use it when there isn't an exact location for the the object.

I find it annoying when people aren't exact with snapping to the endpoint of lines too. It looks so careless.