New Forum Feedback

CADTutor

@CAD64 - for Firefox, there is a similar add-on called STYLISH

I'm not sure if it includes a GUI for selecting and modifying a style, but this CSS code does the trick. You might have to adjust the color to your liking.

div.ipsColumn.ipsColumn_fluid {
    background-color: #a3a3a3;
}

• Thanks 1

Yeah, that Stylish add-on is the one I found, but it doesn't have any sort of simple interface to change things so you need to understand web coding, which I do not. Thanks for the piece of code but I wouldn't know how to use it.

I tried installing some dark themes from the Stylish site but they were way too dark. I just want a subtle change, so I'll either have to figure out how to change the code myself, (which I don't want to do), or wait for David's dark version.

Thanks again for trying to help, but I'm a bit challenged when it comes to web coding. If it isn't a simple button click, I don't want to mess with it.

3 hours ago, TerryDotson said:

What happened to the Mark (All) Forums Read item?

Also these groups are WAY TOO GRANULAR, you have to perform several clicks to drill down into the subcategories where only one post awaits.

I find the best way to use Invision forums, if you visit regularly, is to click on the 'Unread Content' button. (Top right next to the 'Mark site read' button - these 2 buttons are also repeated bottom right of each page).

That will then give an 'Activity Stream' of all new posts made since you last logged in.
You will also see a 'filters' bar where you can further refine what is shown.

You'll find filters in many different sections of the forum and you can set/save multiple types of filters for different places.
Like everything else new  it all takes a bit of getting used to and working out what's best for your way of working.

Edited by nukecad
  • Like 1

I have zero complaints so far. I like the new forum software. I know that it's a work in progress and will wait until everything is to a more complete state to make any more comments or suggestions. 

A couple of minor points that I've noticed:

• I'm surprised that full member profiles are visible to non-members (i.e. everyone).
  • I'm not keen on the visibility of all forum actions: currently everyone (member or non-member) can see exactly what every member is viewing, who follows what, and when they last visited the forum - this feels rather intrusive and we were given the option to hide this on the previous platform.
  • Unfortunately formatting is no longer permitted in code posts (given the automatic syntax highlighting now available), which renders some old code posts as unusable (e.g.) - I realise that this may be unavoidable however.

8 minutes ago, Lee Mac said:
  • Unfortunately formatting is no longer permitted in code posts (given the automatic syntax highlighting now available), which renders some old code posts as unusable (e.g.) - I realise that this may be unavoidable however.

Wow, that is a lot of detail on colors. 😲

11 hours ago, Cad64 said:

Hey, I kinda like that look. Not too dark. Thanks for the info.

No prob brah ;)

Edit: something something something

12 hours ago, Lee Mac said:

I'm surprised that full member profiles are visible to non-members (i.e. everyone).

Hmm, there doesn't appear to be a setting to prevent this. I agree it would be beneficial to not allow guest access to that data. I will investigate.

I'm not keen on the visibility of all forum actions: currently everyone (member or non-member) can see exactly what every member is viewing, who follows what, and when they last visited the forum - this feels rather intrusive and we were given the option to hide this on the previous platform.

You should have the ability to login anonymously. If you log out and login again, you should now see a checkbox in the login form.

Unfortunately formatting is no longer permitted in code posts (given the automatic syntax highlighting now available), which renders some old code posts as unusable (e.g.) - I realise that this may be unavoidable however.

:ouch: That's really annoying. It looks like there's no translation for colour tags in code blocks. That seems to be because code blocks now rely on automatic syntax highlighting (which we don't have for LISP right now). I think the only thing to be done at this stage is to strip out the colour tags - sorry, I didn't see that one coming.

4 hours ago, BIGAL said:

I tried to edit a post and basically got no where, now its text and code ? What did I do wrong ?

You can't edit a code block in-place but, if you click the code button while in edit mode, you can edit the contents of the code block.

13 hours ago, Lee Mac said:

I'm surprised that full member profiles are visible to non-members (i.e. everyone).

There is a plugin for this forum, which I think will do what you are asking for. Would you like to check this description?
https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8982-profile-privacy/

If you're happy with that, I'll add it here once I've ruled out any other possible options.

14 hours ago, Lee Mac said:
  • I'm surprised that full member profiles are visible to non-members (i.e. everyone).
  • I'm not keen on the visibility of all forum actions: currently everyone (member or non-member) can see exactly what every member is viewing, who follows what, and when they last visited the forum - this feels rather intrusive and we were given the option to hide this on the previous platform

OK, all done! No need to look at the plugin mentioned above. There's a very nice, granular approach to application permissions that I wasn't aware of. Curiously, the default settings on this platform are that everyone has access to everything. However, I've now changed that. So from now on, guests cannot see any of the following:

Profiles
Online User List
Status Updates

Hopefully that covers your reasonable concerns about privacy.

All I have to do now is get that syntax highlighting thing sorted out :)

PS Additionally, if you'd like to turn off status updates for everyone, you can do that in your member settings.

Edited by CADTutor
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CADTutor said:

OK, all done! No need to look at the plugin mentioned above. There's a very nice, granular approach to application permissions that I wasn't aware of. Curiously, the default settings on this platform are that everyone has access to everything. However, I've now changed that. So from now on, guests cannot see any of the following:

Profiles
Online User List
Status Updates

Hopefully that covers your reasonable concerns about privacy.

All I have to do now is get that syntax highlighting thing sorted out :)

PS Additionally, if you'd like to turn off status updates for everyone, you can do that in your member settings.

Many thanks indeed David for your understanding and time spent addressing my concerns, I really appreciate it.

I can foresee that removing the BBCode colour tags from code blocks could be difficult unless you perhaps have full access to the underlying database content and can perform bulk updates (though, that in itself could be dangerous); but this is relatively minor in the grand scheme of things - I'm sure you have plenty on your plate at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Lee Mac said:

I can foresee that removing the BBCode colour tags from code blocks could be difficult unless you perhaps have full access to the underlying database content and can perform bulk updates (though, that in itself could be dangerous); but this is relatively minor in the grand scheme of things - I'm sure you have plenty on your plate at the moment.

Yes, as you say, a find and replace on the database table might sort it out but would also be potentially dangerous. I have a dev board that I can use to test but I'd prefer a different option before pressing the nuclear button :D How many instances (approximately) are we talking about?

3 minutes ago, CADTutor said:

How many instances (approximately) are we talking about?

That's hard to say - given the number of years I've posted here, potentially several hundred - but others also used to use formatting in code posts, and so the issue may not be solely limited to my posts - for example here.

Edited by Lee Mac

On 20/08/2018 at 12:34, SLW210 said:

It appears the CAD platform used is no longer in the User Profile.

It is now! :D

Turns out this is a standard feature in this software, it was just buried quite deep in the ACP.