New Forum Feedback

CADTutor

One thing to note is that the post editor gives double linespacing as standard. (I notice that it has also affected old posts).

This is an Invision thing and also happens on other ICS forums that I use.

And yes it can be annoying , and has had moans on other forums.

You can override it by using Shift+Enter to give single linespacing.

So the above lines were just typed with an Enter.
But this one was added with a Shift+Enter.
As was this one, you soon get used to it.

Edited by nukecad

Yep, that's right. I think the idea is that the editor acts more like a work processor (blast from the past) like Word, where that action is normal. As you say, just as in Word, you can suppress the space between paragraphs using Shift+ Enter. Personally, I quite like that I don't have to rethink each time I move from Word to forum but I'm sure many will disagree. 😉

Just a few more comments;

Admin side:

There is no Report Post button. (May have been left off purposely?)

Maybe not crucial but there is no delete button in 'Manage Attachments', I've seen this before so I know that its a Usergroup setting.
It will need enabling for all usergroups to let users delete their own attachments.

I've not tried how the flood control is on searches, (how long you have to wait between searches), but again that is now a Usergroup setting.

User side:

You may notice there are no Post numbers. For some reason Post numbers are not standard in ICS.
(There is an add-on but Dave may probably want to keep things simple, without add-ons for now).

If you want to give a link to a previous post then right click on it's date and 'Copy Link Location'.

Another trick with the post date. - If it only shows 'Posted # minutes ago' or 'Posted # hours ago' you can hover over it to see the actual time it was posted.

• Thanks 1

Yes, the group settings will inevitably need tweaking as we work out how best to manage things. You should now be able to see the Report Post button.Thanks for the heads-up on the other points, I'll review those later.

Is there a way to switch to a 'night mode' so the background is grayish like before ?

As a 'long-time' member of cadtutor, its hard to re-adjust to the white background, also my eyes hurt.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Grrr said:

Is there a way to switch to a 'night mode' so the background is grayish like before ?

Nice idea! Yes, that can be done by creating a new theme. I've added it to my "to-do" list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grrr said:

As a 'long-time' member of cadtutor, its hard to re-adjust to the white background, also my eyes hurt.

I have to agree on this, way too much white space, it's tiring on the eyes to have to try and pick out the actual post content, I'm old school and started on Forums in the newsgroups, where things where laid out in compact lines. You had the user name and on the same line was the comment, the next line was directly another comment with just the user name starting the line. No need to hunt the post down and identify it, or endlessly scroll. This trend (on all forums) to space everything out makes it really difficult to read, I have dual 23" monitors but still only get 3 or 4 lines of usable content on a page. The last time I read a book with that amount of content on each page I was about 3. Since then I have developed the skill to read whole pages of text and it is much easier to follow what is going on. All that user information repeated endlessly is something I find obtrusive and grabs all the attention. 

Edited by steven-g

hi admin thanks for the afford & updates! 

i'm occasionally volunteering & active in AutoLISP forum, just notice hot thread icon ,kudos & icon missing. hopefully i'll get used to it soon 

i like the new code Tags (stake overflow website) but the hiccup no color / highlighting syntax?

or missing something? 

i'll keep supporting CADTUTOR 

😃

What happened to the Mark (All) Forums Read item?

Also these groups are WAY TOO GRANULAR, you have to perform several clicks to drill down into the subcategories where only one post awaits.

Just now, TerryDotson said:

What happened to the Mark (All) Forums Read item?

Also these groups are WAY TOO GRANULAR, you have to perform several clicks to drill down into the subcategories where only one post awaits.

The mark all forums read is at the top right under the search bar.

18 hours ago, CADTutor said:

I'm sure many of you will want to express an opinion on the new forum software. Please use this topic to give any feedback (good or bad).

This new site is much slower to load pages than before. I'm in the same place with the same connection, etc.

1 hour ago, hanhphuc said:

i like the new code Tags (stake overflow website) but the hiccup no color / highlighting syntax?

There's no syntax highlighting for AutoLISP out of the box, however the API does support Common LISP but I'll need to take a deep-dive to work out how to implement that. It's on my to-do list.

28 minutes ago, TerryDotson said:

these groups are WAY TOO GRANULAR, you have to perform several clicks to drill down into the subcategories where only one post awaits.

The structure and links from the main board page are the same as they were on the previous software. Not sure what you're referring to.

30 minutes ago, SLW210 said:

It appears the CAD platform used is no longer in the User Profile.

Correct. This is another item on my to-do list and requires that I learn how the templating language works for this board, so I can't promise it will be there in the next couple of days but it will return as I know it's super-useful.

59 minutes ago, rkmcswain said:

Do you mean like this?

VKLqOgT.png

I like that. How did you change the color? I checked in my settings but didn't see any option to change background color.

It's possible to do this in-browser using the developer tools ;)

But, I will make a "dark" version of the default theme available in a few days for those who like to work at night!

@Cad64 - In Chrome, I use an add-on called StyleBot. It allows you to modify the style of any element on any page or site, or browser-wide.

It might help until the site styles are added in here.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rkmcswain said:

@Cad64 - In Chrome, I use an add-on called StyleBot. It allows you to modify the style of any element on any page or site, or browser-wide.

Hmmmmmm, ok. I use Firefox, and although I did find an add-on, I couldn't seem to get it to work. I'll wait for David to make a dark version. Thanks anyway.