How do I put 2 visibillity list in one dynamic block

alijahed

Be careful when attempting this, as your visibility states will grow exponentially (x^y, where x=the number of options, and y=the number of "switches"). For example, if you want to have two switches with 2 options each you'd have 2^2=4 visibility states. But if you wanted those same two switches to have 4 options each it would be 4^2=16 visibility states. Plus you still have to set up one copy of each switch for all the vis states, and hide all those which should not be visible from each vis state.

The complexity involved in this can pretty quickly get mind-boggling, and it can make editting a block down the line darn near impossible. That being said, I still like to see how complex I can make them sometimes, its a good brain workout.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fuccaro

• dbroada

• Cad64

• dusko

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, a lot of hand work needed. Just for the record: the block I uploaded contains more then 2 visibility states, so you should adjust the calculus :)

Yeah, it's more statistics than calculus, permutations and all that jazz...I've never been a fan. I had a bit of time this morning during some long drawing regens and created this example. It might be a little easier to look under the hood and understand whats happening. Unfortunately, it's not a smiley face. No promises on the 2004 version working, it would surprise me more if it did:)

Multiple Visibility Hack Example.dwg

Multiple Visibility Hack Example-2004.dwg

can you help me out with my block, please!?

to every visibillity state (17) i would like to add one more state that would add 4 more rows to cartography (like in visibillity K).

how can i do this!?

is it procedure too much complicated?

DYN Kartografija.dwg

• 5 months later...
Yeah, it's more statistics than calculus, permutations and all that jazz...I've never been a fan. I had a bit of time this morning during some long drawing regens and created this example. It might be a little easier to look under the hood and understand whats happening. Unfortunately, it's not a smiley face. No promises on the 2004 version working, it would surprise me more if it did:)

Nice work! (And a lot of work) :)

With the smiling block I have the same prob, cant get eyes to open wile wearing hat .....

edit: Hmm, sometimes it seems to work, sometimes it doesn't ....

• 2 years later...

New to the forum and have educated myself quite well with dynamic blocks. this sample drawing you have provided is exactly what i am looking for; however, i still do not know how to create the same conditions with one of my drawings. i know this is an old post, but is there any way that you can elaborate on how the lookup parameters and this block were created. i tried to pull it apart with the block editor, but cannot. thanks in advance.

• 8 months later...

fuccaro,

I checked your dynamic smiley block nice work.

The thing is though that when I open it in Block Editor to see how it is set up and then close the Block Editor I get a ´Custom´ option in the dropdowns of the Lookup tables.

The block does not show this when I open it at first, just after I have opened it in Block Editor.

I have this issue on my own blocks too, any idea what this could be?

I use AutoCAD2013 btw.

Thanks in advance.

Wow! Five years old thread returning to life!

CLS, I am really sorry to read that in the newest relase of AutoCAD the problem still exists. Also I am sorry because I can not help you. That was just an experiment, a funny try and because of the problems it was never advanced to be a real, usable "thing". And also I can't help you because these days I use SolidWorks, previously I worked for years in Catia and the last AutoCAD I used daily was 2006.

No problem fuccaro, thanks for the fast reply.

You helped me with replying and making that block. I am currently working on a different block and that one does not seem to have issues. It has 1 lookup table less than the one that was causing problems for me.

Thanks again for the fast reply and really nice that you are still checking these forums, although you are using SolidWorks.

• 2 years later...

Hello all,

Sorry for reviving such an old thread.

I did some testing with Maxwell’s block (the 3 digit: 1 to 3) and I might have found a way to make multiple Visibility parameters without using a lot of lookups. Personally I think this way is easier to program.

What I did:

1. I created 3 lookup parameters/actions (one lookup for each digit), these lookups are the manual input for the block.

2. Then I made 3 linear parameters (no actions, just the parameters), these linear parameters are controlled by the 3 lookups described above.

3. Now I have another lookup parameter with 2 lookup actions which controls the Visibility state (I have to say I do not know how to create the 2 lookup tables with 1 parameter, it was a copy from another block).

4. The first lookup table is the input, it combines the 3 linear actions to the corresponding number.

5. The second lookup table is the output which sets the Visibility to the right state.

This way I only have 3 linear actions, and 5 lookup actions, whilst Maxwell’s block uses 27 lookup actions to achieve the same goal. With my example you could even create any number till 999 without having to create any extra actions, only the Visibility states would have to be added.

Hope this is of use to anyone.

333.dwg