Please help with Structural Drafting Plate 1

Rave

I have a different question, is it a good idea to do the projects in the order or easy to difficult? Is it necessary to do it in order of how Penn Foster has structured the curriculum? For eg: the structural drafting comes before civil drafting which comes before HVAC and electrical drafting and then the choice project. My main aim is to finish as much as possible. I don't know if it needs to be done in Penn fosters order to best learn the course material, or I can actually pick and choose which projects at this point I can complete faster? Does electrical and HVAC projects need to ha e a basis of structural or civil drafting in order to complete those or understand the instructions? I see many people here post that the structural drafting project was the last they did since they submitted thereat before that and finally completed the course. I just want to efficiently plan my progress in a way that I have a chance to complete and get my diploma of possibly December.

The typos in my last message are terrible ! Sorry.....my question is basically is it necessary to have a thorough knowledge of structural drafting or civil to complete the hvac and electrical and choice project? 

I don't know how the projects were initially assigned.  I always assumed students received the first project, Oleson Village, and when that was completed they received the structural project and so on.  The projects were all supposed to be completed within a set time period.  I believe you asked for, and received, an extension which leads me to believe that you are in possession of all the projects.  Is that the case?  I would submit them based upon the original order in which they were received.  Remember, you are receiving training towards a certificate in AutoCAD, not in any particular engineering field thus your knowledge in those fields will be limited at best.

BTW...I was not, and have never been, a student at Penn-Foster.  I was "gifted" copies of the projects by a former P-F student who used the knowledge he gained from completing the projects to assist others.  When he was about to leave the CADTutor forum he asked me if I might like the copies seeing how I had an interest in helping others as well.  I agreed, with the stipulation that I share only images of the projects when responding to questions and not the actual drawing files themselves.  And that is what I have done over the past decade or so.

Edited by ReMark

Thanks for your opinion @ReMark , I hope I can finish this in the order that Penn Foster has laid out. 

i totally appreciate your help. It's really helpful to read the posts here to get a basic understanding of what is expected in a more organized and sane way than a meddled up pdf. I don't know if this is how it is in real world drafting where engineers just write out the same way like a rough pdf document or something with no organization. I would rather understsnd the basics of the job than just copy it blindly. It sure is a hard mou rain to climb from where I am in now , running a young family to top it along with working part time. But I read somewhere in this group that when you complete a course like AutoCAD with Penn Foster, at the end it's like a big boost to morale/ego lol. I will take it. 

Most engineers will provide a CAD tech with rough sketches of what it is they want drawn up.  If a CAD tech is exceptionally good at his/her job a verbal description would be enough to get them started.  I've never had an engineer hand me a PDF with written instructions.  If you become a CAD designer then it is up to you to create the drawing from conception through finalization with little to no input from an engineer.  For that to happen one must be very knowledgeable in the field in which they work.

• Like 1

Structural detailing is often taking the engineers design notes/calcs and reproducing as a cad drawing 

Footing 1000x1000x450, 4xR12 @ 200  bottom both ways.

Photocopy house plan with highlite lines labelled B1, B2 etc.

• Like 1

Entry level CAD operators would not be expected to possess the necessary knowledge to complete a drawing without input from an engineer.  When a drawing is initially completed a print is generated and given either to the CAD Manager or the engineer for review and mark up.  If errors or omissions are found, or design changes are warranted, the mark up will be returned to the CAD tech in order for the drawing to be revised.  This back and forth process will occur until such time as the CAD Manager or engineer is satisfied at which point the final version will be printed.

• Like 1

What details are supposed to be drawn on Plate 2? So much information on it ! this is the pdf: 

https://lessons.pennfoster.com/pdf/054040.pdf

in the file it says

Several components of the building were described in this section of your project booklet. You’ll use some of the information when drafting details later on. For your drawing of the building’s south elevation, however, label only the items listed here, complete with their various size descriptions (such as “26 gage” or the item’s dimensions and so forth). 1. Door header 2. 6′ × 8′ sliding door, (The word sliding can be abbreviated SLD.) 3. Siding 4. Elevations of finish grade, first floor, and second floor. (The word elevation can be abbreviated ELEV.) • In your drawing, remember to show the concrete footings, the steel columns, and the southern roofline as hidden lines. • Use texture lines to show the siding in small patches only. Filling in the entire surface with texture lines on a drawing is unnecessary and can be visually distracting. Doing so may also conceal features that are shown only in that particular view. • Show a line for the finish grade. Show a patch of earth below the finish grade. (Refer to Figure 21-59 on page 31 of Structural Drafting with Basic Architec.

So i should draw the anchor bolt on the channel to girder bolting detail, the the steel plate weld detail in addition to what has been mentioned in pdf? A lot of previous posts shows these additional details. 

Here is my Plate 2 progress so far. 

2020-07-01 (2).png

Plate 2 should only show the building elevation.  The details you refer to are shown on a separate drawing. 

Re: drawing shown above.  Think about how a building goes up.  The footing (or piers) are poured first, followed by the slab, then the columns with their baseplates.  Look at your drawing.  The columns should begin at the top of the poured concrete slab and not be embedded in the slab.

Edited by ReMark
  • Like 1

Remember the columns themselves are attached to the baseplates.  The baseplates are anchored to the slab via "J" hooks.

• Like 1

Oh okay. I now get why those were showing the posts here by other students. I tried to do a search on the pdf and didnt see it mentioned anywhere.

I am almost sure its one of those things that penn foster wants us to somehow magically derive just like a lot of things left to our imagination.

I have a question about the rebar. How can I show 2" overlap at bottom of rebar if its 3" clear from all edges? This is what I have done and I cant see to figure out that. 

2020-07-02 (1).png

Edited by Rave

I did not say to search for a "PDF".  You would search for Penn-Foster structural project.

Your "J" hook anchor should have a radius.  It is not a 90 degree bend.

Re: 2" overlap.  Below is an image of what one student submitted.  From a structural engineering point of view I don't necessarily agree with it.  I believe the vertical rebar in the pier would extend into the footing and overlap the horizontal rebar in the footing by 2" (imagine two parallel "hooks").  This would tie the footing and the pier together thus making the connection between the two stronger.  Otherwise all we have is a keyway and the force of the building slab holding the two components (footing & pier) together.

Footing_Rebar.JPG

Edited by ReMark

2 hours ago, ReMark said:

I did not say to search for a "PDF".  You would search for Penn-Foster structural project.

I am sorry , I was not intending at CADtutor , just my thoughts on the PDF that I am trying to understand. The posts here at CADtutor have been nothing but God sent. I keep going back and forth between here and PDF to make sense of anything for this project as well as Oleson. 

I assumed that the rebar on the footing can be drawn like a rectangle by looking at the above picture (which is what I used a guideline form the start to draw rebar). Is it not a rectangle then? Is it like two opposite facing L shaped corners overlapping at the bottom where the 2" gap is marked with dimensions?