Tapered ellipse

Berzerker

I'm not sure why that's happening? If you want to upload your file, I can take a look at it later and see if I can tell why the chrome isn't working. No guarantee's though. The difference in versions makes it a little difficult for me to diagnose these issues. It will probably work fine if I open it in 2018. :lol:

The more I think! I'm using chrome satin and I don't know if that's the same thing? I've looked for just chrome but I haven't found it yet.

Hope you get it all I didn't close AutoCad before I sent it I just done a quick save and attached it.

3D speaker 1.dwg

Yeah, the satin chrome you're using isn't working. I applied a polished chrome material and rendered and it works fine. I'm not sure why you don't have a polished chrome? That's a pretty standard material in all 3D programs.

3D speaker 1-Temp0007.png

I'm just missing something, Don't know what? Looks great if I could do that I'd be in hog heaven. It isn't that important to the working part of it but it would be nice to have where it looks just like it when you render it. I'll fiddle with it here and there and I'll figure it out. Somewhere there is a page that will tell me what exactly I'm doing wrong.

Thanks Cad64 for everything.

Edited by Berzerker

I made the material and tried to render it but it still didn't look like chrome so it has to be in my render settings. I've only used one other version of Autocad  (R14) and I don't remember it being this hard to get it to work. I can add the texture part to the object like "riveted plate" and I can see the texture but the colors don't change when I edit/adjust them "like silver" and then no change in the render.

Here's something else I just found: 3D Tutorials AutoCAD 2007

There's a lot of information about other subjects, but if you scroll all the way down to the materials and rendering section, there's some good information about lighting and setting up the rendering environment. I think you need to set up a View and then either change the background color or use a bitmap image for the background.

I also been reading on visual styles and the settings in them. Does it have something to do with it "I don't know" but one of the styles are "realistic" and some of the settings have to do with appearance of what your viewing.

Believe it or not that's the same tutorial I was just looking at LOL.

Edited by Berzerker

The "Visual Style" doesn't have anything to do with rendering. It's just how you view the model in the viewport. You could have your Visual Style set to wireframe but it will still render as a solid model with materials and lighting, etc. But I encourage you to play around with everything, to see what works and what doesn't work.

I think there is something wrong with your environment setup and possibly the black background that's causing issues with the materials. But the more I read up on 2007 I'm starting to remember how basic it was. I believe that 2007 or maybe 2006 was when Autodesk completely reconfigured their whole 3D modeling/rendering toolset. So this was all pretty brand new for Autocad and still pretty bare-bones. You had to jump through a lot of hoops to get things to work correctly. It's much more streamlined now.

I'm beginning to think my speaker drawing is corrupt or something. It won't change/add an object from the materials palette sometimes but if I make one myself it will except it sometimes. Chrome even though I made it in both drawings will work in my marble drawing but not my speaker drawing. I've tried to remove all materials from the drawing but that doesn't seem to work either. Can select certain objects to change but there is one part of the speak it just refuses to allow me to select it to be able to apply a material, it's weird.

On 9/22/2020 at 7:15 PM, Berzerker said:

Thanks Dadgad, my version doesn't have press/pull but extrude and subtract I have become quite familiar with. What objects you can and can't pedit/trim, all kinds of useful knowledge.

The PRESSPULL functionality and command was added to AutoCad in 2007, so if your software description in your forum Profile is correct, you should have it.

There is no "/ " in the command call, just PRESSPULL.  You'll like it, if you find it.  :beer:

The SLICE command is another very useful one, I am quite partial to slicing with a planar OBJECT, typically I use a cirle.

Edited by Dadgad

Sorry I forgot to tell you Dadgad I did find the press/pull when going through my toolbars yesterday trying to find the "Perspective and Sunstatus" commands. Don't think they're in a toolbar and I might just make my own and place them in the light toolbar. Don't like to keep typing it in every time I turn around.

I know all you guys are so good at it that it's easy for you to remember the keyboard shortcuts and commands but for me I just set my UI so I know where all the commands are in a toolbar. It makes me faster that way. 

1 hour ago, Berzerker said:

I'm beginning to think my speaker drawing is corrupt or something. It won't change/add an object from the materials palette sometimes but if I make one myself it will except it sometimes. Chrome even though I made it in both drawings will work in my marble drawing but not my speaker drawing. I've tried to remove all materials from the drawing but that doesn't seem to work either. Can select certain objects to change but there is one part of the speak it just refuses to allow me to select it to be able to apply a material, it's weird.

I think I know which part you're talking about, and this is why it's a good idea to put the different parts of your model on their own layers. I typically create layers for metal, plastic, glass, wood, etc. Or you can put each part on its own layer, which gives you even greater control of your model. Having parts on layers allows you to Freeze them when necessary, like when you can't select a part of the model because other parts are in the way. You can Freeze the layers temporarily, do what you need to do, then Thaw the frozen layers to bring everything back.

I found out that no matter if I was entering 1 or 0 on the sunstatus it wasn't actually changing it (turned off in settings) go figure (?) That helped a little bit. Lights matter!

I found out that chrome in 2007 isn't the same chrome you have, it's some grey ugly thing that doesn't reflect right. Working on a mirror but duller look, not as shiny. 

I think I might do that set up layers, I've never done it but I'm sure it can't be that hard. I've always started with what I call a layout drawing. I draw everything in one drawing to make sure it all fits together then separate the sections into their own, separate file to dimension the parts. If that makes sense (?) I just change color to represent different things.

Remember! I did teach myself.

Layers are simple. If you can teach yourself how to do 3D, I'm sure you can figure out how to create and use layers. ;)

Also, you don't need to separate the parts out to their own files. You can do everything in one drawing using Paper Space Layouts: https://www.mycadsite.com/tutorials/level_2/layout-tabs-plotting-autocad-paper-space-2-8.html

Don't use AutoCAD to render. Yes I know it can do it BUT there are better and easier solutions. Give me your cad file and I'll show you ;)
Great job on the model BTW. It looks great.

Edit: I see the dwg, nevermind ;)

• Like 1