Error while defining a keyboard shortcut

Hi!

I get this strange error when defining CTRL+C for copy selection command.

I never had any problem defining keyboard shortcuts and now this happens.

Every other key combination that I hit seems to be ok, but this one just pops u the message.

Ive checked of maybe someother command is already on this key, but none.

Please help

problem.jpg

I typed manualy CRTL+C (letter by letter) and assigned it to "copy" command.....I couldnt find "copyselection"

Saved everything but it doesnt work.

The CRTL+C is on the alias list but doesnt work

Ctrl+C is normally copy clip (copy to clipboard and is a well known Windows shortcut).

It isn't enough to remove that from the keyboard shortcut list you actually have to reassign a new shortcut to the copy clip command and then you are free to use Ctrl+C for something new

• Like 1

Why did this work when I had instaled windows 7 and now with new windows it doesnt?

I moved the copy selection command to keyboard shortcuts window and tried to assign new shortcut CRTL+C....everytime I get the same message as in post#1

What am I doing wrong?

Please help

1 hour ago, Butch said:

..........What am I doing wrong?

When I started using AutoCAD, I found that the shortcuts were not as I would like (for me AutoCAD is a foreign language programme), so I re-assigned shortcuts to what I thought more useable. However in those days a new version of AutoCAD required retyping the whole lot again and again.

I got fed up with that and learned to use the default settings. If you do customise AutoCAD, then you will be dumbfounded when you try to use a version which is not to your usage.

So, learn to use the defaults. Your life will be much easier.

• Confused 1

Are you now using Windows 10 with AutoCAD 2011?

As Eldon, I try to use the defaults, helps when at some else's computer helping them, too.

Butch are you trying to setup a keyboard shortcut to copy and paste from one drawing to the other? The reason I'm asking is there are two different "copies" in Autocad at least from what I can tell. When I hover over my "copy" in the Standard toolbar it already says: "Copy CTRL+C". So isn't it already setup that way?

The other "Copy" is in the Modify toolbar and it's: $M=$(if,$(eq,$(substr,$(getvar,cmdnames),1,4),GRIP),_copy,^C^C_copy) 

In Standard toolbar: ^C^C_copyclip 

I have to give Cad64 credit for when he helped me with a command I was having trouble with.

See Cad64, I do pay attention. 

Edit: Just tried it. Hit CTRL+C and it ask me to select objects. I did and left clicked for select. Went to another drawing and hit CTRL+V and it pasted it into the other drawing.

This command: M=$(if,$(eq,$(substr,$(getvar,cmdnames),1,4),GRIP),_copy,^C^C_copy) 

Only copies objects in the window from one place to another in that window in my AutoCad.

Edited by Berzerker

Also remember that until Windows 10  version 1809 you could only have one thing saved in the clipboard.

Now you can have multiple clips saved which can confuse some older versions of software. They should use the last clip, but ......

You can turn the multi-clipboard off.

https://pureinfotech.com/disable-clipboard-windows-10/

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Butch said:

No, Im tring to asign an keyboard shortcut to the "copy selected objects command" from the MODIFY tab.

Then I would think steven-g is right. The "Copy" (COPY CTRL+C) command is already being used by the copy from drawing to drawing by the ^C^C_copyclip command in the standard toolbar. Your trying to assign two different "Copy" commands to the same key/keys.

CTRL+C....^C^C_copyclip is to copy from window to window just like in windows (X)

$M=$(if,$(eq,$(substr,$(getvar,cmdnames),1,4),GRIP),_copy,^C^C_copy) is only in that window in AutoCad.

Now you can set it up anyway you like but you will need CTRL+C....^C^C_copyclip to move things from one drawing to another sooner or later and now this might not work.

Use something else on the keyboard.

Edited by Berzerker

To move objects form one drawing to another, I always use "COPY WITH BASE POINT".

I think this is different then the command COPY SELECTED OBJECT.

Is this still going to couse problems?

Ive noticed now that my shortcut key to mesure distance isnt also working.

When I try to assign it to CTRL+D, it spits back the same message.

In my drawing CRTL+D toggles the dynamic UCS on/off.

How to change this?

My question would be why are you wanting to redesign the shortcuts in AutoCad to be more like windows.

(CTRL +C) is copy to clipboard, (CTRL+V) is paste from clipboard. I've never even used "Copy with basepoint". So now that makes three "COPIES" in AutoCad.

If you change one the others might not work and not saying you can't cause you can "it's your AutoCad" but it seems to me your already seeing a cascade effect messing around in it. Sometimes it's better to leave the problem alone than touch it and make it worse. Why not just get use to how it works instead of the other way around.

This probably doesn't help, but how about getting slightly creative with your shortcuts instead of using Ctrl + ?

For Copy you could just use two letters CN (copy normal) for Copy with basepoint use CB and so on, both these shortcuts are on the same row on the keyboard so not really a stretch.

Neither of them are being used by anything else and you can leave Ctrl + C alone.

I use 2 for the Distance command as it asks for 2 points.

Just saying.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Butch said:

To move objects form one drawing to another, I always use "COPY WITH BASE POINT".

I think this is different then the command COPY SELECTED OBJECT.

Is this still going to couse problems?

They're all different, that's what we're saying. Your mix matching copy commands.

This command: $M=$(if,$(eq,$(substr,$(getvar,cmdnames),1,4),GRIP),_copy,^C^C_copy) asks you to select objects and then select basepoint and then you place it where you want "In that drawing".

(CTRL+C) asks you to select objects so you select it/them and after that you left click to accept there are no more command line questions, It's waiting for you to go to the other drawing and click paste.

When I get a chance I'll look up more on "Copy with basepoint". Not sure about it so I'll keep my opinions to myself till I know.

Edited by Berzerker

18 hours ago, Dahzee said:

This probably doesn't help, but how about getting slightly creative with your shortcuts instead of using Ctrl + ?

For Copy you could just use two letters CN (copy normal) for Copy with basepoint use CB and so on, both these shortcuts are on the same row on the keyboard so not really a stretch.

Neither of them are being used by anything else and you can leave Ctrl + C alone.

I use 2 for the Distance command as it asks for 2 points.

Just saying.

Using the AIASEDIT functionality, I would make C for regular COPY, CC for Copy to clipboard, and CCC for Copy With Basepoint.

One key, 3 different functions.