Adding materials problem

I got me a new project and I wanted to add some materials to it so I could see what different things looked liked with different materials applied.

Yeah, It didn't go so well. I picked a material and selected "Apply materials to objects", sounds simple. All of a sudden everything in the drawing gets this material. I don't get to pick anything, it just applies it to everything.

I open the materials list:

Can't get imgur to work images in attachments

Select the material

Then I get this:

Image in attachments

And when I do manage to get the paint brush to choose what to apply it to when I select it, it doesn't change anything.

help

materials list autocad.PNG

Material on everything.PNG

Edited by Berzerker

Hey nice to post with you again SLW210. Yes I'm still on 2007. I even assigned each object to different layers, turned layers off and on hoping it wouldn't affect them but it did. I will try the drag and drop but it should allow me to choose with the paint brush which objects I want to apply the materials to.

I'll let you know what happens

Thanks

Ok that didn't work. I'll open my materials list 

materials list autocad.PNG

And if I choose texture map and select anything and try to apply it nothing happens

And if I use Bump map and select a material as soon as I click the open button everything changes.

I still get no choice what to apply it to.

I've clicked everything and still haven't figured this out.

Edited by Berzerker

OK I think I figured it out. I had to make a new material and name it what it was in the list then it showed up as a second material in my list. I could then select it and apply it to the different objects.

Materials list 2.PNG

Edited by Berzerker
On 10/13/2021 at 8:47 AM, Berzerker said:

OK I think I figured it out. I had to make a new material and name it what it was in the list then it showed up as a second material in my list. I could then select it and apply it to the different objects.

Hey Berzerker. Long time, no see. Looks like you already figured it out, but I remember having this same issue back when I used to do 3D work in Autocad. The first material acts like a global material and gets applied to everything, as you saw. So I always left that material blank and created new materials for each object.

• Like 1

Bless you for trying to render in AutoCAD.

You could always use SimLab Composer Lite (free) to render your DWG files. Just make sure that you give each material it's own layer in the DWG files to make assigning materials easier.

• Like 1