Object Snap not easy to use

sketch11

I'm using AutoCAD LT recently and have typical settings for snapping. See below.

The issues is that it's not very easy to use. It does work but takes a while to hover over the end point until you get a clear indication of the snap point, especially for centre of circles and intersections.

In previous versions of AutoCAD, it seemed to work effortlessly.

Is there a setting which affects this?

image.png.36fad6cc5924f9fb4653dcda8da4326c.png

I must say that I never have Snaps on all the time. I have assigned Snaps to the "F" keys and activate one at a time as I need them. That makes it faster for me.

I use them all the time, but I just activate what I need - that saves having a machine to pick the one that I thought of!

I have my PICKBOX set to 4 and my Aperture set to 7.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You could also just use the commands to activate certain snaps.  i have a few enabled as standard, but when i need a Perpendicular snap i just use the 'PER' command when i need it.
Same goes for 'END' 'CEN' 'NEA' and all the other snap options.

Unless you need them a lot of times in a row that also makes sure you only snap to what you need, all the other snaps are disabled for that single time you activate it by a command.

The range for 'snapping' was a mistery for me once too.  I kinda searched for it on google and never found a clear answer.  Maybe this topic helps though:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/how-to-modify-strength-of-snap-magnet/td-p/8844469

• Agree 1

Maybe it's a graphics card issue.

I've always been impressed with how logically Object Snaps work.

When snapping to an Endpoint which may have other possible snaps close by remember you can pick anywhere on that half of the segment so there should never be a reason to accidentally snap to the wrong point. I have coworkers that still feel the need to hover near the endpoint for snapping to them though, drives me nuts.

With your settings it logically only snaps to Perpendicular or Center if you're not near one of the more specifically defined ones like Endpoint, Midpoint or Intersection. 

You don't need to check Intersection mode as it's logically included with Apparent intersection checked. The visual cue for Intersection will display if it's not just an Apparent intersection.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Are you aware that, aside from all the other good advice offered here, you can use TAB to cycle through those osnap options which might be coming into play close to your pickbox location?  :|

I have never used LT, so am unsure about this suggestion...

In OPTIONS check Priority for Coordinate Data Entry on the User Preferences Tab.  Presumably it will already be set as shown in the screenshot.  That sets your OSNAPCOORD system variable setting to = 0.

image.thumb.png.05e7e5041425d70a73b2e1e398a235cb.png

OK thanks.

I have set Priority for Coordinate Data Entry to Keyboard entry though as that's a preference.

It's the snap with the mouse though. And it's a visual thing, when you hover a point, you're not as sure if it's snapped. Or as described before, like a magnetic aspect.