REBAR QUANTITIES AND LENGTH CALCULATIONS WITH TABLE TO EXCEL

achila

Autolisp that can calculate the quantity of steel bars as it placed on the plan of reinforcement read the annotations from an existing drawing and makes a summary table out of it.

See this article from Autodesk. Why write code when you can use tools you already have?

Welcome to the forum!

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Using the in built tools may be the way to go as suggested, because everybody draws objects in different ways Layers, using blocks, Xdata to mention a few ways of getting data about your bars.

You may have to look at a semi custom make a table of bar details, some one may have something close that can be edited, remember a bar can be straight, hooked, curved and so on not just a length.

Can you post a sample dwg ?

Ps make table & export to Excel can be done.

Edited by BIGAL

4 hours ago, BIGAL said:

and excel file

On 5/17/2024 at 4:43 PM, CyberAngel said:

See this article from Autodesk. Why write code when you can use tools you already have?

Welcome to the forum!

Please can you share the procedure with me on how to make use of the tools because am not too good in AutoCAD just trying to make bar bending schedule from the drawings. Thanks 

On 5/18/2024 at 12:26 AM, BIGAL said:

Using the in built tools may be the way to go as suggested, because everybody draws objects in different ways Layers, using blocks, Xdata to mention a few ways of getting data about your bars.

You may have to look at a semi custom make a table of bar details, some one may have something close that can be edited, remember a bar can be straight, hooked, curved and so on not just a length.

Ps make table & export to Excel can be done.

The main problem is that I don't even know how to make use of the inbuilt tools , please can you share the procedure with me, all I wanted to achieve with the drawing is to generate quantities from the drawing for bar bending schedule. Thanks 

Just a quick look at your .dwg, but, the rebar are just lines, so how would you know which bits are the rebar bent parts? Are the bends all the same size?

Can you clean up the drawing and just leave the objects that need to be in the schedule?

Is a purchased APP doable? You may need to redo the drawing in any case.

I think this is Excel, you will still need to pull some information from the drawing. Bending Schedule Spreadsheet – Civil and construction design tools (civilconstructiontools.com)

Apps for AutoCAD

AutoRebar 2025 | AutoCAD | Autodesk App Store

Quick BBS - TRIAL | AutoCAD | Autodesk App Store

Here are some YouTube videos, not sure if they can help, there are a few videos on YouTube using the above applications I believe.

27 minutes ago, SLW210 said:

Just a quick look at your .dwg, but, the rebar are just lines, so how would you know which bits are the rebar bent parts? Are the bends all the same size?

Can you clean up the drawing and just leave the objects that need to be in the schedule?

Is an purchased APP doable? You may need to redo the drawing in any case.

I think this is Excel, you will still need to pull some information from the drawing. Bending Schedule Spreadsheet – Civil and construction design tools (civilconstructiontools.com)

Apps for AutoCAD

AutoRebar 2025 | AutoCAD | Autodesk App Store

Quick BBS - TRIAL | AutoCAD | Autodesk App Store

Here are some YouTube videos, not sure if they can help, there are a few videos on YouTube using the above applications I believe.

Thanks for the update, I have the bending schedule excel and likewise auto rebar 2025, with CadRC 2020 even with cad plus but the drawings were detailed from another source and am to prepare bending schedule from the drawings, so what I actually need was to know total length of the lines represented in layer called REINF'T and multiply with the annotations that has the line information such as 2Y1003-200, what it means is that 2 represent the numbers of lines at the spanning width, 10 after Y represent bar size, 03 represent bar mark and 200 the bar spacing. 

Should be doable take 7-Y1017-250 CRS. T.

make (7 Y10 17 250) then send to Table and say Excel. Sort on beam number.

But can see 2X1-Y1015-250 CRS.T.& B. What to do with  2X1 ?

7 hours ago, BIGAL said:

Should be doable take 7-Y1017-250 CRS. T.

make (7 Y10 17 250) then send to Table and say Excel. Sort on beam number.

But can see 2X1-Y1015-250 CRS.T.& B. What to do with  2X1 ?

Thanks for your response, but please I don't really get what you meant, meanwhile 2x1 simply means 2 multiply by 1number, the X1 can be sum together to have just one whole number.

I tried a lisp with total length, and I was able to get the total length of each line in a tabular form, the only part am trying to merge with the lisp code is the annotations strings so that the table will be complete in the form of ( total length -bar size- bar code) I don't really need the spacing.

Like SLW210 you have to have some form of link between a line and a annotation.

One possibility is using XDATA, this is probably what the commercial software is using. You would add the annotationl as XDATA you will not see it but it is attached and can be retrieved.

Only other way maybe is if annotation is a block with 3 attributes label, att1 & att2 the last 2 are set to invisible and hold the top and/or bottom reo details. 

5 hours ago, BIGAL said:

Like SLW210 you have to have some form of link between a line and a annotation.

One possibility is using XDATA, this is probably what the commercial software is using. You would add the annotationl as XDATA you will not see it but it is attached and can be retrieved.

Only other way maybe is if annotation is a block with 3 attributes label, att1 & att2 the last 2 are set to invisible and hold the top and/or bottom reo details. 

Thanks, the major challenge is that I can't actually write lisp program, I only make use of chatgpt to generate based on prompt, if you can assist I will appreciate by incorporating the annotations code with the total length code I make use of to get the total length of the polyline, I will attached the lisp.

LAYLENGTH.LSP

I don't understand why you aren't using the Add-Ons for AutoCAD that you have.

From what I saw of your drawing, no matter, the Add-Ons or a custom LISP, you have to do some work setting up connecting the Rebar to the Text and other information.

Lots of Videos for setting up with both of those add-ons.

Engineering videos - CADS UK

And here is Tutorials - Get started – AutoRebar see #5... Tutorial 5 - turn polylines into Rebars

For XDATA, try to roll your own, though I would just learn to use those add-ons you all ready have.

Extended Entity Data - Part 1 | AfraLISP

I personally have never had to do a Bar Bending Schedule, I do place the sizes and spacings on the drawings, I suppose the concrete people do the BBS.

I am way too busy at the moment or I would look more into setting up your drawing. How many drawings do you need to do?

Do you have an Excel file already?

6 hours ago, SLW210 said:

I don't understand why you aren't using the Add-Ons for AutoCAD that you have.

From what I saw of your drawing, no matter, the Add-Ons or a custom LISP, you have to do some work setting up connecting the Rebar to the Text and other information.

Lots of Videos for setting up with both of those add-ons.

Engineering videos - CADS UK

And here is Tutorials - Get started – AutoRebar see #5... Tutorial 5 - turn polylines into Rebars

For XDATA, try to roll your own, though I would just learn to use those add-ons you all ready have.

Extended Entity Data - Part 1 | AfraLISP

I personally have never had to do a Bar Bending Schedule, I do place the sizes and spacings on the drawings, I suppose the concrete people do the BBS.

I am way too busy at the moment or I would look more into setting up your drawing. How many drawings do you need to do?

Do you have an Excel file already?

Thanks very much, the drawings are two and I don't have any excel but if this drawing is setup I will use it as template for the second drawing. Thanks 🙏 am expecting at your convenient time 

8 minutes ago, achila said:

Thanks very much, the drawings are two and I don't have any excel but if this drawing is setup I will use it as template for the second drawing. Thanks 🙏 am expecting at your convenient time 

There's one excel someone gave me I will upload it so that you can work with it. Thanks 

Go talk to who gave you the Excel it obviously has been made for reobar's. Do they use something first of all to make the bars ?

As it is there is no way to pull out a schedule of reobar's without lots of work.

1 hour ago, BIGAL said:

Go talk to who gave you the Excel it obviously has been made for reobar's. Do they use something first of all to make the bars ?

As it is there is no way to pull out a schedule of reobar's without lots of work.

The excel was meant for me to input the information extracted from the drawing just as I earlier said, and the information needed are the quantities, length and rebar size, which I was able to use laylength lisp to get the total length,so the remaining information is the annotations, if the annotations can be generated into tabular form I will use it for filling in the information in the excel.