Problem subtracting.

cvriv.charles

I am trying to create cut threads. I am unable to subtract the threads. Can you please check out my model and tell me what I am doing wrong?

The top thread subtracts but not completely. The bottom thread doesnt subtract at all.

This is so frustrating. It seems like nothing wants to do what it's suppose to do. I almost put my fist through my screen just trying to move something from one layer to another! Simple right?!? Wrong! Click object, click new layer. Didnt work. I finally got it to work and I dont know how. Great.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cvriv.charles

• ReMark

• hoss

• JD Mather

You seem fixated on creating threads. How many drawings do you create within a week that call for that level of detail? And if you need them so badly why don't you just go out and purchase a 3D library? You'll save time and cause yourself less frustration. CAD is not supposed to make you that angry. Keep on the sunny side of life.:)

Just had a go and as you said when trying to subtract the lower one whole thing disappear:? . So what I did was subtracted the top one, Slice the cylinder in half, delete the lower part and 3dmirror it and use union to join them together

You seem fixated on creating threads. How many drawings do you create within a week that call for that level of detail? And if you need them so badly why don't you just go out and purchase a 3D library? You'll save time and cause yourself less frustration. CAD is not supposed to make you that angry. Keep on the sunny side of life.:)

That's a worthless reply. Because I want my drawings to be detailed? Because maybe I would rather do it all myself other than having everything handed to me? Because I want to learn. There's nothing more frustrating than learning.

I assume you don't have a real answer to my problem as to why I can't subract the sweeps the way they are as oppose to doing what hoss stated.

Because it shouldnt really have to be done the way hoss did it I would rather not do it that way. The sweeps should subtract the way they are right now. It should just work.

I assume you are trying to do something like this?

YES! But how did you do it? It wont subtract for me. Did it subtract for you? Did you have to do it another way?

So I got this to work in another file using a simplified version of the tube and the threads im using. The only difference is that the tube is only 1" long as opposed to the 4" I was using and the ends of the tubes are not borded out. Also the major diameter of the threads is a tiny bit smaller seeing the tube is not bored out.

I tried two different shapes for the sweep command, the actual shape(both flats) I want to use and a simplified shape(one flat). Both worked just fine. Why? I dont know.

I ran the threads all the way through the 1" tube. Thats more threading then the original tube. The original being 5/8" of threading.

I guess I will go back into the original model and try again.

Ok I narrowed it down even more. Back to the original drawing, if I remove the the portion of the thread that curls inwards, the thread will subtract just fine. But with the curl in place it obviously wont.

Now I initially thought the the curl was like interfering with the inner lip created by the bore but after moving the thread down some it still didnt work. Thats when I decided to just remove the curl. It worked.

So tehre's something about the curl that AC isnt liking. Maybe the way it's attached? Not mating flush? I zoomed in as close as I could and didnt see any gaps.

Then I thought it was the isolines were the curl unites with the thread. Not really the isolines that contour the shape of the thread but that one isoline in the back of the thread. That line is just there. How I can select it to delete it?

Your pointless.

Your high praise and admiration is what I live for.

I figured you were smart enough to figure it out on your own.

I have every confidence you'll arrive at a satisfactory solution to your problem given the help you have already received from others. No sense in stating the obvious.

Thank you. And have a sparkling day. :)

Solid3D for AutoCAD $144.95 (U.S.)

"The Solid3D Fastener library allows you to create solid models of assorted Nuts, Bolts, Screws and Washers. Selecting a standard fastener, thread style, other desired property, and clicking the OK button automatically creates the fastener for you."

Time is money. :)

Time is money and so is knowlege. I haven't had any help with this problem. What I have is people doing it for me instead of explaining whats going on.

I will not buy the library.

J.D. Mather and hoss have both provided you with help so I am puzzled as to why you would claim otherwise.

Since this exercise is mainly for the benefit of increasing your AutoCAD 3D knowledge then by all means do press on. I would be interested in hearing how you solved the problem. Maybe you need to go back to the beginning and retrace the steps you took for creating the basic components you're working with. You have kept copies of the geometry used as you have progressed through this exercise haven't you?

J.D. Mather and hoss have both provided you with help so I am puzzled as to why you would claim otherwise.

Since this exercise is mainly for the benefit of increasing your AutoCAD 3D knowledge then by all means do press on. I would be interested in hearing how you solved the problem. Maybe you need to go back to the beginning and retrace the steps you took for creating the basic components you're working with. You have kept copies of the geometry used as you have progressed through this exercise haven't you?

Mather provided a complete model. Thats all. His tutorials are ehlpful and I do appreciate them/ him. You merely said you got it to work. Hoss is the only one who explained anything. Although I wasn't really looking for an alternative. Thanks you anyways hoss. I wanted to know why it wouldnt subtract.

Fortunately I figured it out. Unfortunately it took me several days. Time is money right ReMark? Good thing for me, at the moment it is not. It's time to learn. I was hoping that someone here would know exactly what it was that was causing the trouble so that maybe I could save some time to move on and learn other things.

In a nutshell,... AC apparently did like how the threads skimmed along the solid face were the threads were to be subtracted. You saw how the thread surface was going in and out of the surface of the tube while view in 3D realistic with xray off? Thats what I mean. Sometimes the subtraction would work and sometimes it wouldnt. It was very random. Sometimes I would have to seperate the end curl and subtract the curl and the thread seperate. Sometimes they wouldnt subtract even seperately.

So what I did was make sure the back portion of the thread was passing through the tube completely. I subtracted the thread alone(no curl) at a top and bottom of the tube. I united the curl with the thread so they were one when I subtracted and it worked fine. As long as there was enough passing through the tube surface. I can only assume it works both ways. The object being subtracted is either passing completely through or it is completely submerged within the solid. Having two surfaces skimming each other, AC doesnt like that. I'm pretty sure that if the surfaces that were skimming were simple like two boxes etc that AC would be fine with that.

I'm going to sleep and when I get up I am going to do it again just to be sure.

Just in case your wondering mr. ReMark, if this is in fact the answer,... this is what I was hoping to get out of you guys. Not a completed model or a "It worked me."

Nappy time.

I am happy to hear that you figured it out all on your own. I had every confidence in your ability to work through the problem and reach a solution. You really should have more faith in your ability. The best lessons learned are often the most difficult. I think patience and tenacity won out don't you? Congrats.

I am happy to hear that you figured it out all on your own. I had every confidence in your ability to work through the problem and reach a solution. You really should have more faith in your ability. The best lessons learned are often the most difficult. I think patience and tenacity won out don't you? Congrats.

I have total faith in myself. I was just hoping that one of you knew so that maybe it would of saved me time. Thats all.

I thought this was more about gaining knowledge than saving time. But none-the-less you did prevail and that's what counts. All is well with the world. :)

I thought this was more about gaining knowledge than saving time. But none-the-less you did prevail and that's what counts. All is well with the world. :)

To me it doesn't matter. I would of fully understood it if I learned it myself or if I had someone explain it to me. Having it explained is just quicker.