Initializing PGP file

RonYe

Hi Guran, please excuse my ignorance with this following question. How do I do that, am I looking for this folder in the C drive. The only place I see that folder is in the Support file etc. I do remember in the older versions this is how I did it but I cant seem to find that Application data Folder which I think I used to find through the Programs folder. When I look in the Programs folder in autocad14 I don't see an AppData folder, I do see a Support folder, is this where I should copy and paste MY pgp file? Thank you for you patience ;o)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Franklyn83

• ReMark

• RonYe

• guran

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your acad.pgp file should not be sitting in the root drive of your computer dude. What were you thinking? And delete the path from the Support File Search Path while you're at it.

"I am a little confused since in the Support File Search Path there is no folder that contains or ends in the ...support\acad.pgp" designation?" It's probably because someone mucked around a bit too much without knowing exactly what they were doing and deleted the acad.pgp file from its original location.

Ok Ok, I will remove as instructed. Where should I place my pgp file?

It should be right where the original acad.pgp file was located. Why? Because that is where AutoCAD expects to find it (the default). There was a time, way back when, if a user was going to make changes to a file they would have made a copy of the original or renamed the original (ex. - acad.pgp.original) so they could always start from scratch if things went awry.

Just confirm for me we are talking about plain old generic AutoCAD 2014. Yes or no? Vertical products may have slightly different folder structures.

I have plain AutoCAD 2014 on my computer as well as 2015 and 2016 so there are some things I can actually check against what you say you are seeing.

We seem to be going in circles here. It is under C:\User...... and not under C:\Program Files....... There is a difference. BTW....I confirmed it on my computer.

So besides accessing the pgp file through the Tools/customize/edit pgp pull down menu..... Did you place your changes in the proper portion of the file? When you used this method did you run REINIT afterwards?

REINIT DIALOG WINDOW.JPG

Sorry about the Cyclical nature of this conversation. I'm simply not finding things where they're supposed to be. will continue to mess around with it.

Thank you.

Then I suspect you are not following the exact path as described by AutoCAD as shown in the image taken from Options > Files > Support Files Search path.

There is one other place AutoCAD keeps a copy of acad.pgp for AutoCAD 2014. However, it is not in a location would one normally go looking for. The only way to come across it is via a search using Windows Explorer.

Did you look under C:\User.....................? Yes or no? The path would not be listed if it wasn't recognized by AutoCAD and things were working as they should be.

Is that your edited version of the acad.pgp file sitting in the Architecture folder? It doesn't belong there. Get rid of the folder AFTER you move the acad.pgp file to the correct folder. Part of your problem is you have too many different versions of the same file and unless you start looking at dates and/or file sizes you can't tell them apart. You're just adding to the confusion.

I just did the REINIT command, hit save, closed cad and restarted the computer, oddly enough it now shows the Default pgp file. I did a save as to save the preset settings, then I tweaked a couple of the commands, hit save and restarted the pc, now its behaving according to my settings. Before I was simply erasing the original pgp content and copy/pasting My Pgp content, hitting save, re-start and it would work!?

I just did what I described in my last sentence and its working accordingly/fine and dandy like sour candy.

I must have done something wrong the first time.

Thank you guys for all your help and most importantly your patience.

Sorry for the run around,

Then I suspect you are not following the exact path as described by AutoCAD as shown in the image taken from Options > Files > Support Files Search path.

There is one other place AutoCAD keeps a copy of acad.pgp for AutoCAD 2014. However, it is not in a location would one normally go looking for. The only way to come across it is via a search using Windows Explorer.

Did you look under C:\User.....................? Yes or no? The path would not be listed if it wasn't recognized by AutoCAD and things were working as they should be.

Is that your edited version of the acad.pgp file sitting in the Architecture folder? It doesn't belong there. Get rid of the folder AFTER you move the acad.pgp file to the correct folder. Part of your problem is you have too many different versions of the same file and unless you start looking at dates and/or file sizes you can't tell them apart. You're just adding to the confusion.

Yes I did look in C:\User but it was no where to be found. I did have too many versions of the pgp file you are right. Got rid of the excess baggage and am running lean and mean now. Thank you yet again. This really had me bummed out yesterday.