Example .NET Jigging: A parabola parable

SEANT

Part of the problem, I think, is the choice of terms; with manufacturing, jigs connote a more rigid influence on the creation process. With Autocad and .NET it simply means a coding mechanism to allow geometry the ability to move and morph in a fluid manner.

VBA is not very fluid. To add a circle, the parameters; Orientation (Normal), Center, and Radius are set and the ThisDrawing.ModelSpace.AddCircle call will cause the circle to just appear. Similarly with Move and Rotate.

The AutoCAD editor, and most of the remaining cast of APIs, allow for a dynamic adjustment of the circle’s radius, or position, or rotation.

The visual feedback and interactivity no doubt provides more benefit to certain CAD activities than others.

Incidentally, Kean Walmsley has a good example for multiple block insertion and dragging:

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2007/05/using_a_jig_fro.html

It looks pretty straightforward.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SEANT

• Lee Mac

• wannabe

• khoshravan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wait a sec...can we say jigging is just like a visual aid, dynamically showing us what the current result would look like if it took on the present parameters?

Like you mention ghosting, one could almost assume they are propagated from the same concept?

Wait a sec...can we say jigging is just like a visual aid, dynamically showing us what the current result would look like if it took on the present parameters?

Like you mention ghosting, one could almost assume they are propagated from the same concept?

That's it. :)

By Golly I think the boy's got it :P

^^ don't worry, I don't normally talk like this... :P

Haha. I love you guys at times.

**I don't normally get emotional on forums. But the combination of humour and empathy has overcome me.**

wannabe, you’re really demonstrating your geek status by “welling up” on a Cad programming forum.

I can’t say anything though. UPS just delivered my Visual Studio 2008 Standard upgrade, and I’m pretty frikken excited.

I’m such a Microsoft fanboy.

wannabe, you’re really demonstrating your geek status by “welling up” on a Cad programming forum.

I can’t say anything though. UPS just delivered my Visual Studio 2008 Standard upgrade, and I’m pretty frikken excited.

I’m such a Microsoft fanboy.

Wish I could learn more of the VB side of things... I only know LISP and VL (which I am still learning) which is only really applicable to ACAD... But I would love to be able to program MS Office and the like.. :P

Lee

Regardless of what new coding direction you choose, I doubt it will cause you much of a pause. Certainly MSOffice app manipulation is useful for those of us looking to fill a role as enterprise/process facilitator. It’s not in 2003, the version still in use here, but the VSTO variant of VB.NET is probably the most Office-centric language.

If you don’t mind my asking; what level of programming do you imagine yourself pursuing? As I said, I primarily see myself programming in a support role. Something either VB.NET or C#.NET are well suited. Your capacity and enthusiasm seem appropriate for full blown application development. Are you considering stepping right up to C++?

Regardless of what new coding direction you choose, I doubt it will cause you much of a pause. Certainly MSOffice app manipulation is useful for those of us looking to fill a role as enterprise/process facilitator. It’s not in 2003, the version still in use here, but the VSTO variant of VB.NET is probably the most Office-centric language.

If you don’t mind my asking; what level of programming do you imagine yourself pursuing? As I said, I primarily see myself programming in a support role. Something either VB.NET or C#.NET are well suited. Your capacity and enthusiasm seem appropriate for full blown application development. Are you considering stepping right up to C++?

I would love to - but at the moment, programming for me is just a hobby - I dabbled in it at my old job, and liked it so much that I carried on doing it when I left and went to uni.

But, doing a Maths Degree, although there are some modules that involve programming - most do not, so its difficult to focus on both. :(

A Maths Degree does sound like enough of a handful. I’m not sure how universal it is, but in the States many of the schools let students declare both a Major and a Minor. The Minor would only require about half the specific credits towards that particular degree.

A student would have to like number crunching quite a bit to go for a Maths/CompSci combo. I think you can do it, Lee. Remember, sleep is highly overrated. 8)

A Maths Degree does sound like enough of a handful. I’m not sure how universal it is, but in the States many of the schools let students declare both a Major and a Minor. The Minor would only require about half the specific credits towards that particular degree.

A student would have to like number crunching quite a bit to go for a Maths/CompSci combo. I think you can do it, Lee. Remember, sleep is highly overrated. 8)

Ahh cheers Sean - tbh, I do not like the pure foundational Mathematics too much - things like Analysis, Linear Algrebra etc, but prefer the more applied side of things like Geometry and Motion, Differential Equations (could be considered pure), and Mechanics. I have opted for a Mathematical Programming course for next term, which hopefully will lean towards Java.

I think things are slightly different in the States, most of the UK courses have core and optional modules - but thank you for your suggestions, and I shall keep you updated on how things are going :)

Cheers

Lee

• 4 weeks later...

Update

The routine needed a bit of modification to work with Coordinate systems other than the WCS.

Command: PVF

Description: Parabola by picking Vertex, Focus and width at open end.

Command: PBB

Description: Parabola by bounding box (Width and Depth)

ParabolaByUCS.zip

• 4 weeks later...

The easiest way would be to use a program like Camtasia Studio or similar. These, I believe, allow a direct screen recording to animated Gif. I could not justify the expense so I opted for a method combining a couple of apps.

CamStudio is a free screen recording app but can only process animation to AVI or SWF. Both of those formats tend to create large files, however.

I had to reprocess the AVI through Corel PhotoPaint to generate a fairly compact animated Gif. I imagine Photoshop has a similar capability.

Of course, if you do not already have access to either PhotoPaint or Photoshop then the cost of Camtasia Studio probably isn’t so bad.

The easiest way would be to use a program like Camtasia Studio or similar. These, I believe, allow a direct screen recording to animated Gif. I could not justify the expense so I opted for a method combining a couple of apps.

CamStudio is a free screen recording app but can only process animation to AVI or SWF. Both of those formats tend to create large files, however.

I had to reprocess the AVI through Corel PhotoPaint to generate a fairly compact animated Gif. I imagine Photoshop has a similar capability.

Of course, if you do not already have access to either PhotoPaint or Photoshop then the cost of Camtasia Studio probably isn’t so bad.

I do have Photoshop CS2, but have never used it for this kind of purpose, so will have to investigate a bit.

I am using Windows Media Encoder as a screen recorder at the moment, outputting in wmv files (pretty large for posting), and the quality is far from brilliant.

I shall look into CamStudio as an alternative. Would you recommend a safe place I can download it, (I am likely to find somewhere through Google, but I cannot guarantee of its trustworthiness.)

Many thanks,

Lee

I see what you mean, google list several sites for download. I don't recall which one I used.

Apparently there is a 2.5 beta release available. I've only used ver. 2.0.

I've got a copy of the installation package for Camstudio 2.0. A friend of mine gave it to me once years ago, and she had trouble finding it. As far as I know, it's not available to download. I believe Adobe grabbed it and turned it into something else.. not entirely sure. It's a swell program, very fun and I'd recommend it for anyone.

I can send you a copy if you'd like ^^

Also, if you could grab Adobe Flash, you could record to a .swf with Camstudio then turn it into a .gif in Flash.