What is the stangest thing you have ever used CAD for?

Guest vrichard

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strix

• hyposmurf

• Skeeps

• erona

Top Posters In This Topic

I designed my friend's tatoo with CAD. That's about the strangest request I've encountered so far.

That's the exact thing I've done. :D He has it on his shoulder right now.

I designed my friend's tatoo with CAD. That's about the strangest request I've encountered so far.

I designed my next 1, but it's just not realistic at the moment! trying to get a good representation of fire

I designed my next 1, but it's just not realistic at the moment! trying to get a good representation of fire
I'm glad I'm not the only one who designed tattoos on CAD (I did mine on it)

Drew up a 36" dia protractor for the welding department.

Drew up the shoulder patch for our company fire/safety department which they had reproduced in color and sewn on to all the uniforms.

Drew up a large periodic chart (of elements) for one of the chem lab department heads. Plotted it in color. I thought you could buy one of these at any hobby shop or bookstore?

Laid out the floor plans/elevations for a micro-brewery/restaurant and clock tower for the same building at request of company president (we're a chemical company). Also drew a detailed "as built" sketch of the clockworks so it could be disassembled, repaired and reinstalled. His wife was the owner of the business. All on "company" time. Got a free lunch for it too.

I too did the seating plans for the wedding, but also did the list of names for the place cards (well they were glasses with candles in, and I was only copying by hand from the list, but had done the list in the required font), and have produced stencils of celtic knots for one or two things - one being a two seater stool basic bench I'd made as a wedding present for some arty friends (buying a prezzie seemed to be cheating)

I've also used it for scale printing pictures instead of faffing about with software I can't work :P

Ohhhh - and I had some plain metal cupboard handles from Ikea, which we intended having glass overlays handmade for, so I ran off the design in AutoCAD, and printed it onto acetate, then used spray mount to stick it to the handles. We never got round to having the glass ones made so the acetate CAD ones are still in place

there's a chart on our kitchen wall for when to plant seeds, when they flower, and when they should be picked - that's AutoCAD too

Ive designed vehicle graphics (flames, racing stripes, etc.), exported to DXF then imported it into my sign software and cut the graphics out. I have also designed t-shirts and business logos for windows. AutoCAD has proven to be a very useful tool even outside of the workplace.

• 1 month later...

I would say the weirdes thing I have done on CAD was design a coversheet for my company manual. They where full color pictures. Plus I did the manual to in CAD.

i just designed a logo for a karate..group?..i dont really know how to refer to them..but anyways....all designed in autocad, exported to dxf, imported into some embroidery software and had someone embroider a bunch of their uniforms......

can someone think of something CAD cant be used for?....i submit that you cannot

• 2 weeks later...

when my wife and i were looking for appartments my wife (who is also a drafter) would take measurements of the appartment we were looking at and make a floor plan and then take measurments of our furniture, just block outlines mind you and see what arrangement she liked best.

i have also used for tattoo's and i used to use it for modelling spacecraft exporting them to 3ds then importing into game modification tools and finally flying them around in the games themselves :), wedding seating plans, brickwall patterns for CNC machines to manufacture, quite a few strange things really

I used autocad to map out my neighborhoods houses, and put the neighbors i met in each respective house. I dont talk to people much so I always forget names and this was a way for me to keep track of whos who :lol: