Impeller Headache

DaleLloyd7569

Hi

I am fairly new to Inventor but have managed to figure out most problems I have run into myself. However I now need to model the impeller on the left of the attached PDF drawing and other than the main boss I really don't know where to start as it isn't a straight forward blade design. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dale

Impeller.pdf

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JD Mather

• DaleLloyd7569

• shift1313

• Rob123

Ahh, I see the problem - your drawing is upside down! :lol:

OK, now that I've had a good laugh can you zip and attach the ipt with what you have been able to do so far?

that should be a fun one:)

it looks like you have some fairly planar cross sections to work with so thats nice. I would draw the 3 cross sections givent at their location in the plan view. Looking at your elevation view the lower edge of the impeller appears to be planar so i would create a plane, draw the top view and project it down onto that plane. You also have a nice reference in the elevation view for the cross section of the top of the blade. I would use all these in a loft operation.

Id have to sit down and give it a shot later(cant right now) to see how this would all work out.

...a quick 2 min drawing , its rlly nog that hard to make...

"rlly nog"? Looks like 2 minutes of work.

...just ^^ try to draw it the same way i did

I prefer a more robust approach - but I'm rather slow at 5 hrs effort.

Impeller.png

Sorry I didn't send you what I had done straight away but I have been trying the method suggested by shift1313, but with not much success. I can see by your image that it can be done but I have to ask... how?...is it done using the sections and a sweep because it wont work for me. I have attached what I have done so far

impeller.zip

Create a sketch on the XZ Plane as shown and then attach the file here and I can walk you step-by-step through a solution to the problem.

Impeller Top Sketch.PNG

I also noticed you are on SP0. You should install Service Pack 1. I have a nice solution to your problem when you are ready to continue.

OK I have read the other articles and have worked through your MA105-1L tutorial, I didn't realise it was so important to have everything constrained. I have restarted the impeller part but I haven't gone to far with it as I am not sure if I am going in the right direction. According to Inventor the whole sketch is fully constrained but there does seem to be a lot of dimensions. I have attached the restarted part, am I on track so far? On a separate note I think the derived part tool which was in your tutorial will be useful for me when I want to make the pattern plates.

impeller.zip

Just noticed your other post, just shows you should check all the replies and not just the one you get an email for.

OK I have done the sketch as per your post, is it necessary to fully constrain a sketch because it still says it requires two dimensions which when I put them in don't seem necessary.

Ignore the attachment to my previous post the correct one is here

impeller.zip

I have a realy nice solution for you on this problem if you stick with me.

In the last file you attached the Sketch1 turned color indicating that it is fully constrained.

There are two Extrude features that should not be there. Delete those two Extrude feathures.

The next step is to create a Workplane offset -160 from the XY Plane. (see steps 1-3 in attached)

Then start a new sketch on the offset workplane and Project Geometry the line indicated in step 4 in attached image. Let me know when you have completed these steps.

Workplane.jpg

Now,

Create a WorkAxis through the center of the R387 arc.

You can do this by selecting WorkAxis and then clicking on the endpoint of the construction line and the perpendicular sketch plane (I believe your sketch was on the XY Plane).

Work Axis.png

Next create a Coil surface.

The command will try to select your closed profile Sketch1 -

Change the Output to Surface see 1

Now you can select the projected line created in Sketch2

Your coil won't look like the attached preview yet - don't hit OK just yet.

Coil.png

Click OK and you should have a yellow or orange translucent surface.

Select Extend surface and then click the three edges to extend as shown below. Set the extend distance to 10.

Let me know when you have completed this step.

Believe it or not - you are almost done.

Extend Surfaces.png

Now Extrude - To the surface.

Then right click on the surface in the browser and turn off the Visibility of the surface.

Extrude To.png