Impeller Headache

DaleLloyd7569

Then add a Varialbe Radius Fillet along the edge shown. Your Start and End radius might be reversed depending on where you pick the arc - doesn't matter as long as you have the visually have the 125 and 70 on correct ends.

I forgot to arrow the important entries in the attached image so study it carefully to see that I am on the Variable tab of the Fillet dialog box.

You might be wondering by now where I am coming up with some of my dimensions. I'll explain that in a bit - and if you want to change any dimensions that is easy enough to do as it is a fully parametric model.

Variable Fillet.png

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JD Mather

• DaleLloyd7569

• shift1313

• Rob123

Select the Shell feature and then click the 3 faces shown. Set the Thickness to 16mm and click OK. Let me know when you have completed these steps. One more tricky step and the rest is gravy.

I realized that I might have confused by having the three arrows going from the selection tool it will be active when you start the command - you do not need to click that icon - just click the 3 faces as shown.

Shell 16.png

OK all done, but you are right i can't see where you got your radius dimensions from

I'll get back to that and suggestions on how to edit once we see all of the geometry.

Create the sketch as shown on one of the origin workplanes (I'll let you figure out which one to make it look like attached.) I assume by this point that you are starting to anticipate my method. On your drawing it shows the 5 dimension as 3, but do it as 5 for now. Notice the position of the Origin Center Point. Everything I do is in relation to the origin.

Once you get this sketch Revolve the feature.

Cylinder Sketch.png

The order in which you place fillets is critically important.

Add the Variable radius fillet to the inside edge as shown.

Fillet order.jpg

Select Circular Pattern and be sure to click Pattern Entire Solid as shown with the red arrow in attached image, then select appropriate origin axis in the browser.

circular pattern.png

I started out with parallel sections exactly like the original drawing.

As I started constraining it became obvious to me that the original designer fudged some dimensions as they didn't have the advantage of a parametric geometry solver when working on a drawing board.

I decided that even on the drawing board radial sections would have made more sense than parallel sections. I could argue the parallel sections aren't even drawn correctly - the round ends would be ovals in a true projection. See my image of the same sections imposed over my final solution.

To get the final solution I adjusted the variable fillet dimensions to fit the given section dimensions as closely as I could. If these dimensions don't suit you simply keep adjusting till you get what you want.

If my entire technique doesn't solve your problem, all I can say is good luck!

I think you can figure out the hole.

I hope I was of some help, even if this solution doesn't solve your design problem.

rough dimensions.png

Thanks very much for all your help. I came to the same conclusion on the dimensions when I first started to draw it. The impeller blade can't be drawn using all the dimensions shown which actually means the sections don't quite line up either. I think the client will be happy with this model and I have sent a copy to him to evaluate and explained about the dimensions on the original drawing. I have managed to figure out the hole myself, and also the circular pattern.

Once again thanks for your time and effort, I have learned a lot over the past few days but I also realise there is so much more to learn!

i want to draw it now:)

To really appreciate the end result you should try without looking at my solution (OK, too late for that). I did 4 iterations with the first 2 much more complicated than the final solution. I find it a fun challenge devise really simple and robust solutions to what seem initially to be very complex problems.

once again J D shows us why we use inventor,as a self taught inventor user i appreciate all input from all forums,but J D's tutorials keep me wanting to keep trying to improve my skills

thanks J D