How to create a walking cane

SFG13

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long while since I've visited this place and am still learning the software on and off at home. I know ReMark helped me with a couple of objects last time. I am currently creating a walking cane that my professor did very quickly in class a year ago. I still have his drawing but don't know how he created the handle and showed it all in 3d.

I created a long cylinder so far but I'm not sure what tool to use to make the 90 degree handle since it's displayed vertically? For a 2d I made the long cylinder, added a circle next to it, then trimmed the bottom circle, that's about it. I want the cane to appear in 3d to see all sides. I can sure use some help!?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SFG13

• ReMark

• Jack_O'neill

• rvpas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Use 'PLINE' to draw the shaft. Don't exit the command and use the ARC option for the handle.

draw your extrusion profile, (the circle), for the shaft diameter.

Extrude using the PATH option. You could use Sweep but using extrude w/path will give you the added TAPER option for a more realistic look.

You could also use a Helix with a single turn to give it a more natural curved look...

cane1.gif

KC

Use 'PLINE' to draw the shaft. Don't exit the command and use the ARC option for the handle.

draw your extrusion profile, (the circle), for the shaft diameter.

Extrude using the PATH option. You could use Sweep but using extrude w/path will give you the added TAPER option for a more realistic look.

You could also use a Helix with a single turn to give it a more natural curved look...

[ATTACH]29036[/ATTACH]

KC

Kencaz:

Awsome demonstration.

How do you do this? do you use screen video recoreder? or some feature in AutoCAD itself?

Hi kencaz how do you draw the circle on the other plain

when i try to do it it just draws it from the top view

when i experience this and the ucsfollow is set to 0, type "ucs" then next option "w" for world then i pick my view and continue drawing-thats my fix

Hi Kencaz and rvpas, I'm only a novice to CAD and was only able to create line A to B, the Pline and Arc. Since class I totally forgot how to do things and definitely need to look back at my notes to practice. I posted an image of how my professor created a cane in class back in 010'. I created the first, second, and third step with the circle, but don't know to finish with the ext and the fourth step? (I also want to add a small equal side box at the bottom of the cane.)

cane extra.jpg

Edited by SFG13

Hi kencaz how do you draw the circle on the other plain

when i try to do it it just draws it from the top view

I drew the cane in TOP view and then switched to FRONT. Use the 3Dview not the viewcube to change your orientation. Then just use the end point snap to get the center of your circle on the end of the PLINE.

KC

when i experience this and the ucsfollow is set to 0, type "ucs" then next option "w" for world then i pick my view and continue drawing-thats my fix

This method did not work for me i had to use the corrdernts tab in the ribbon bar and some how magand to fix it.

I was using the View cube before

Thanks for your help

I noticed that your handle was bigger than the tip

In this case you have two solutions

A-Draw 2 profiles instead of the only one and use sweep like I exposed bebore or

B-If have to use only extrude command

see my procedure (I use 3drotate)

walking cane rotate profile.jpg

And use extrude

Home tab/Modeling/Extrude

1st-select your profile and enter

2nd-select path as option

3rd-select your path

Or before you draw your circle change your ucs

walking cane rotate ucs.jpg

And use extrude

Home tab/Modeling/Extrude

1st-select your profile and enter

2nd-select path as option

3rd-select your path

Good luck

Pascal

Hi,

I'm still stuck with the completed path A and profile B with the line, angle and circle, I just don't know where to go beyond that to click with the draw the extrusion profile, (the circle), for the shaft diameter or sweep? Awww man I seriously feel like a confused caveman!

untitled.JPG

If you are going to EXTRUDE using the PATH option may I make a suggestion? Pedit > Join the line and arc first then EXTRUDE the circle you have positioned there at the end.

Hi,

I typed in pedit, selected the arc, typed in join, and it still said select objects? I typed ext to the circle but it wouldn't allow me to?

The Pedit command is kind of strange. It will continue to prompt the user to "Select objects".

This is what your input and AutoCAD's responses should look like....

Command: pedit

Select polyline or [Multiple]: m

Select objects: 1 found

Select objects: 1 found, 2 total

Select objects: AutoCAD will continue to prompt the user to select objects as you see here.

Enter an option [Close/Open/Join/Width/Fit/Spline/Decurve/Ltype

gen/Reverse/Undo]:

At that last line just cancel out of the command. The line and arc should now be one continuous polyline entity. Now you can EXTRUDE the circle along this path.

Before (line, arc and circle). After (extruded circle along polyline).

Cane1.jpg

It is nearly 7 p.m. in Connecticut. I've got some studying to do myself. I'll check this thread when I get into work Wednesday morning. Good luck.