How many chances can a person get to make it right?

SuperCAD

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperCAD

• BlackBox

• ReMark

• SLW210

Actually, he asked to be let go today. So technically, he quit.

Hopefully, just letting you know not to drop your guard. He can always state an undesirable working atmosphere, created by you or others, led him to quit.

Sounds like he won't be a problem, but just beware.

Sounds like he won't be a problem, but just beware.

Thanks for the concern. I've had a million different scenarios running through my head since yesterday, trying to figure out how I would react to them. For instance, if he's dumb enough to put me down as a professional reference, and given the fact that I can only answer the questions in a non-derogatory way, how would I respond to another employer calling for a reference?

I guess his big complaint about me was that he felt that I was picking on him with how I marked up his drawings. The fact of the matter is that I treated him no differently that I did the other drafter, it's just that he DIDN'T follow the standards that I had written, whereas the other drafter follows them to the letter. I told him on numerous occasions how I wanted simple things like a hole note to be shown on the drawings, and even though he corrected it each time I marked it, on the very next drawing he would go back to doing it his way. He never learned.

Another one would be notes that required special emphasis. I wanted these notes to be 3/16" tall (twice the height of the normal 3/32" text (11x17 sheets)) and in bold font. Instead, he would keep the text at normal height and draw a box around it with another box acting as a silhouette behind the full box. Total waste of time, but it made the drawing "his" and it looked nothing like the drawings that the other drafter and myself were producing. I even explained to both of them very early on that I didn't want to be able to tell who drew it because the drawings should all look the same.

Sorry about the rant-ish post. I'm expecting some kind of back-lash from the head cheese today so I'm probably just blowing off some steam.

If anything happens or comes back to us, I suppose I could always point back to the standards and bring a few of the marked up drawings to show a non-conformance problem.

I have had some training for supervisory and management and as I coincident, just over the last couple of weeks all the salaried here went for a two day training session, so most of this is fresh in my brian. Feel free to PM me, though I am not a lawyer.

Get all documented evidence you can find and write down anything you need to remember (like print off what you have stated here). Write down what you will say when/if contacted as a reference and say only what is written and save this just in case there is a complaint. Better yet, tape any phone calls about the situation or references, if legal in your state (some you must notify you are recording and laws my apply from the state where the other call is originated).

My wife has to handle the legal aspects of firing/hiring as well as dealing with dept of labor, EEOC and DOT.

I take it this is a small company. Who would be responsible for approve/disapprove unemployment compensation?

Just be prepared.

Judging by the prima donna attitude, I figure this guy either had another job or thinks he can get one in 10 minutes and might be too arrogant to apply for unemployment.

No chance(joke)...nothing at all...drafter is not a simple tasks..when you enter this field let your self learn and have a good imaginations...

Just train within a month...you will see the result

I think you made the right descission supercad, I'm pretty tolerant of learning curves with a new hire but what you described would lead me to believe that the individual is going to continue creating unnessicary work for you and or your co-workers/employees .... which is where i draw the line.

I once worked with a person that developed similar difficulties over a number of years. It turned out to be a combination of short term memory problems resulting from age related illness and personal denial. Thus the apparent arrogance in the face of the issues. Of course that didn't make his performance any more beneficial to the company.

Oh my gawd!! I forgot how to spell "Beneficial".

I once worked with a person that developed similar difficulties over a number of years. It turned out to be a combination of short term memory problems resulting from age related illness and personal denial. Thus the apparent arrogance in the face of the issues. Of course that didn't make his performance any more beneficial to the company.

Oh my gawd!! I forgot how to spell "Beneficial".

The story always goes "I once worked with a person". Sorry to hear about your .....what were we talking about?