• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• jp_ssymi

• BIGAL

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What "type" of roof are you drawing? There are several different types and each may require a slightly different approach.

Some roof types are:

Gable

Gambrel

Mansard

Saltbox

Pyramid

Hip

Shed

Arched

Circular

Edited by ReMark

You can draw a roof in 3d from 1st principles using Pface the only problem is you need to work out the maths in 3D, yeah did it back in R14 days.

have a look at this http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?62541-House-AutoCAD-Designing-Walls-and-Doors-HELP!!&p=426672#post426672

PS anyone Help !! I can not drag & drop images to post here (advanced will not worK) WIN 7 64 bit

Makes it non transparent when you do a hide, the code for roofs is now approching 20 yrs old so their is probabbly better commands now have a look at image.

Remark the reason it was done as I say 20 yeras ago with pface is that you just work out the 3d points that make up the roof as a planar shape, these points are world co-ords so it makes it easy to not have to think about planar answers on slopes. It was part of a simple Architectural package the word being simple and the price reflected that. AutoCAD Architectuarl started not long after and was seen as the way to go for anyone serious about house or commercial drafting so the product just dwindled but is still available.

As you you say if we rewrote it we would look at solids etc.

• 1 month later...
i dont know how to make a roof in autocad 2010, wat is the basic step?pls help

:(

how to make a solid roof with these floor plan.. and the plumbing lay out also :(

i nid to pass the lay-out tomorrow morning but i dont know where to start coz i dont have a background or a subject in plumbing,,

f5.jpg

I'd suggest using gable roofs.

As far as a plumbing plan goes tell us exactly what you need to show. Are we talking an isometric piping plan?

wat is gable roof?

yeah, i nid to show the water pipe lay out and the water waste

It looks like you are attempting to do this in 3D. Is that correct?

Have you gone on line to see what the framing looks like for a gabled roof?

Do you plane on constructing all the individual framing members in 3D?

Any easy way to make the roof plan is to layout the elevations around the plan a start drawing the roof in elevation and then project the lines around the plan to the other elevations. This is how I did it when I worked for a builder several years ago. It helped me check that all lined up properly.

jp: I have some bad news for you. It appears you drew your floor plan in decimal inches. The 20.00 dimension in front of the garage is not 20 feet 0 inches but 20 inches (or 1 foot 8 inches). Since you were drawing to imperial units you should have changed to architectural units with a 1/16" precision. But all is not lost. 20 feet is equal to 240 inches. 240 divided by 20 is 12. That is the scale factor you need to use to scale your drawing up to the size it needs to be. I would also recommend you invoke the UNITS command and change from decimal to architectural. You'll also have to make some changes to your dimension style as well.

Remember, you should always draw model space objects to their FULL size no matter how small (a paper clip) or large (a Boeing 777 Dreamliner) they are. FULL size. Got it?

Update: I scaled up the copy of the drawing you posted by a factor of 12. Checked that dimension across the front of the garage and it came in at exactly 20'-0" (using architectural units). However, your wall thickness turns out to be 7 3/16" which is puzzling. Were you going to use 2x6 construction. What were you going to use for the exterior cladding? Vinyl? Cedar? Could it be you were thinking of building a block/brick house?

If I scale up the perimeter of your roof you are going to have a 42" overhang! That is way too much. I could see it if the overhang was 12" instead but not 42". Have you looked at any architectural books or gone on line and done any research regarding the actual construction of a wood framed or brick house?

Edited by ReMark

It looks like you are attempting to do this in 3D. Is that correct?

Have you gone on line to see what the framing looks like for a gabled roof?

Do you plane on constructing all the individual framing members in 3D?

yeah.

i already know what is a gabled roof.

nope.just the sheets, :)

since im new in using autocad, i just converted some of the units, my way, coz sometimes the value is too large.. im still exploring,. i wont construct this plan but i will submit it for the sake of project.. and still i cant construct the truss of the roof to 3d. i had my research online but just to know how to make walls, doors, and windows 3d. ive watched how to make a roof 3d but it didnt help me coz its either they are using a different autocad or they make it in just a snap..