AutoCAD 2013 Increasing File Sizes

DashaB

No, we've been saving back to 2004 only because of the weird file size issues when saving to anything else. Saving back to 2000 blows up the file size to around 1gig every time haha. The copy and paste issue, I really don't know why it has been a problem lately. But i did the DXF thing on our working file, and tested it and the functionality remains and the copy and paste issue is solved, so that's my solution to the rest of the company. I think somewhere along the lines, something got messed up in the files, probably because of these baseplans. Something about the way 2013 saves or processes something, i guess?

Oh well, it works now, that's all I'm worried about. I had nightmares all last night that i was trying to fix this...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DashaB

• ReMark

• Dadgad

• samifox

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 7 months later...

We are having a similar problem, which I have just posted in the General AutoCAD forum. Did you ever get an answer that worked?

We are having a similar problem, which I have just posted in the General AutoCAD forum. Did you ever get an answer that worked?

Currently our protocol for larger file sizes is to DFXOUT/IN on the file, twice. If you do it once it doesnt quite help all the way.

So, first off, do a -purge (different from regular purge because it offers a bit more in the options). Type in R (for regapps), then enter, and N for no. This will remove registered applications and should not affect your content in any way. We've had drawings with over 100 of these suckers in there, and getting those out helps with the speed of the drawing.

Then, in your working file that is a large size, type DXFOUT, save to a location of your choice. Close the file. In a blank file, type DXFIN and select the DXF file you just created. It helps at this point to run an audit, as for me it finds all sorts of errors in the file that it would not normally find. Saveas and overwrite your original drawing. Repeat procedure one more time.

Not sure why you need to do it twice, but, for example, if my file is 8MB, one DXFOUT/IN reduces it to about 6 MB. The second takes it down to under 1MB.

If you need further help on this topic, send me a PM and I can e-mail you the set of instructions I forwarded to my team here.

Thanks!

I had the same problem but by big drawings dxfout is not working. I found a oder way by deleting all AEC object by using this Lisp:

Name of Lisp :removeAEC

(defun gc:GetDictEntries (dict / result)

(and (= (type dict) 'ENAME) (setq dict (entget dict)))

(while

(setq dict (vl-member-if (function (lambda (x) (= (car x) 3))) (cdr dict)))

(setq result (cons (cons (cdar dict) (cdadr dict)) result))

)

(reverse result)

)

;; delete all AEC*

(defun c:removeAEC ()

(foreach dict (gc:GetDictEntries (namedobjdict))

(if (wcmatch (car dict) "*AEC*")

(foreach entry (gc:GetDictEntries (cdr dict))

(entdel (cdr entry))

)

(entdel (cdr dict))

);fin if

)

(princ)

);fin defun

:)

• 5 months later...

I know this post is a bit old, however, both topics discussed here (large file size and the inability to copy/paste) are symptoms of the same underlying issue, hidden DGN linestyles. You will want to make sure that every workstation is patched with Autodesk's DGN Hotfix which was released in August 2013.

I've blogged about the cause of the issue as well as some ways to automate the process in my blog titled AUTOCAD LARGE FILE SIZE PROBLEM. If anyone has any additional questions, let me know.