Just received Student Software need laptop please help!

RobertPierce

I would suggest that you return the laptop for a refund and buy a used computer with Windows XP Pro on it. Stop wasting your time trying to kludge together some sort of fix. quote]

(Roberts wife again) I went to Best Buy to return the lap top and was told I would have to pay $144.75 restocking fee for the laptop, case, mouse, and router.:glare: They suggested looking online for XP pro operating system and for $129(there) maybe cheaper elsewhere I could have my laptop downgraded. He said that way I still had the power needed to operate 2000 and the newer one when he is done with school. He also suggested looking for newer autocad online.

I deceided to look found XP Pro operating system on Ebay for most under $100, I am glad you told me that he doesn't need vista. I think his teacher isn't familiar with what operating systems work with what because she told me she knew where to get him 2004, and according to the link (one of you) provided I searched 2004 and that doesn't have vista listed. (though after all my reading I think I can run under compatibilty mode but I ain't screwing up his laptop!)

I found AutoCad 2008 on ebay, 100 starting and 300 buy it now. I emailed and asked if it was new and never used he said yes he is liquidating his store. I asked if he could take less and explained my ordeal he said he could take $175 buy it now through paypal....

So I could return the lap top lose $145. buy a new one with XP installed.

I could purchase xp operating system, downgrade for $150-$229

OR I can buy AutoCad 2008 for $175 and be done with it....

I think I am gonna get the AutoCad 2008.

I wish I could thank ya'll in person for all ya'lls help, send you cookies something! It has been a struggle but I think we found a solution. :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• RobertPierce

• hugha

• JD Mather

I think you better stop and think on that purchase of AC 2008.

This is a program that retails at well over $3000. And this "nice guy" who feels "so sorry" for you is willing to sell it to you for $175? I don't think so. I think you'll be even more sorry if you buy it. If he said he had 2004 for $175 that would be a bit more believeable.

Yes, you can downgrade from Vista to XP Pro. You better know what you're doing and confirm with HP that it will not void your warranty.

The only way I would consider buying AC 2008 for $175 is if the guy lived in the same town as I did (or one very nearby) and he was willing to come over and install the software, run the program for the first time, and get an honest to God, 100% confirmed, authorization code from AutoDesk. Then, and only then, would I fork over the money. I'd also insist on getting all the printed material and anything else that came with the installation DVD. Bottom line: You want to know that first, it is a legit copy and second that it will install properly and actually run. Don't get burned a second time.

By the way, AutoCAD 2004 will run under Windows XP Pro with no problems what-so-ever as well. Once again, someone has been giving you bogus information. Stop seeking advice from that person.

Bonafide students (those who can provide an authentic, verifiable student email address) qualify for a free download of plain AutoCAD. However, I must warn you, that the software should not be used for commercial purposes (i.e. - making money) and anything that is printed out from the program will bear a message that the content has been produced with an educational product. Using content from an educational product inside a drawing created from a commercial AutoCAD product will "infect" that drawing with the message as well.

See this re free AutoDesk software:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23080

Bonafide students (those who can provide an authentic, verifiable student email address) qualify for a free download of plain AutoCAD.

Students do not need an edu email address. There is a link on the homepage of http://engineersrule.org to instructions for students who do not have an edu email on how to sign up.

I have been using Vista on my laptop since shortly after Vista was released. I can't figure out what the problem is - works fine for me. Just turn off UAC. Other than that no real difference that I am aware of.

The only way I would consider buying AC 2008 for $175 is if the guy lived in the same town as I did (or one very nearby) and he was willing to come over and install the software, run the program for the first time, and get an honest to God, 100% confirmed, authorization code from AutoDesk. Then, and only then, would I fork over the money. I'd also insist on getting all the printed material and anything else that came with the installation DVD. Bottom line: You want to know that first, it is a legit copy and second that it will install properly and actually run. Don't get burned a second time.

He is in California, he is calling me today with his store informaiton. I plan on asking about verifying it is real first but how can I verify over phone? I probably won't buy it if he cant verify it or guarentee return if it doesn't work. I found another one for $100 cd only but what good is a cd without a product key or registration? I also found 2009 from 100-700 then all the way to 4,000.

I didn't even think about voiding my warrty. This was supposed to be easy buy a laptop install software begin using..

I am gonna get grey hair @ 24 over this!

I stand corrected re: student email address.

The OP is reporting an error trying to load a 16-bit version of AutoDesk software on a laptop that I believe may have a 64-bit version of Vista. Is that addressable by turning off the UAC?

The OP is reporting an error trying to load a 16-bit version of AutoDesk software on a laptop that I believe may have a 64-bit version of Vista. Is that addressable by turning off the UAC?

are you asking me this?:huh: what is UAC?

16-bit version?

I didn't read the entire thread - only the last response. I have to run right now - but I gather this is for student use. AutoCAD 2010 is only available in 32-bit at present on the student forum. But AutoCAD Inventor 2010 32-bit or 64-bit can be downloaded from the site and it includes AutoCAD Mechanical which can, of course, be run as vanilla AutoCAD.

I think (pretty sure) there is a way to install 32-bit apps on 64-bit OS, but I do not have experience with this. The most common problem I see is the other way around - users trying to install 64-bit apps on 32-bit OS.

are you asking me this?:huh: what is UAC?

I think he was responding to my response. UAC = User Access Control. Is this for student use? If so I suggest going to engineersrule.org and getting free access to most of latest release Autodesk products for free. Including download of free learning material.

He has registration papers, and a contract through his employer regarding attending school 18m and his new hours for work (4-10s) friday school) but he needs it for practice as well as side work so he can't have a watermark on it.

OH 2004 she didn't say wouldn't run on xp, she said to would run on vista but I can find anything to support that it will run on vista.

Grey hair can be dyed. No one will know the difference.

At some point in time AutoDesk went from shipping their products with the serial number and the authorization code to just including the serial number. Authorization, true to Microsoft's way of doing things, had to be done over the Internet unless of course you did not have access. In which case you have to call AutoDesk to get the 64 character (numbers and letters) activation code. This also registers your software with AutoDesk as well.

Grey hair can be dyed. No one will know the difference.

At some point in time AutoDesk went from shipping their products with the serial number and the authorization code to just including the serial number. Authorization, true to Microsoft's way of doing things, had to be done over the Internet unless of course you did not have access. In which case you have to call AutoDesk to get the 64 character (numbers and letters) activation code. This also registers your software with AutoDesk as well.

Maybe grey hair can work in my favor then! I havn't had my hair dyed since he started school! would be nice to take a trip to the hair salon again..

So, are you saying I could have the guy open it to tell me the serial number and I can verify that with Autodesk as a real cpy? If they don't have anything registered for that serial number it is real?

If you called AutoDesk they probably wouldn't give you the time of day. Why? Because they want you to buy your copy of AutoCAD from an authorized reseller and not from someone on eBay, craigslist, Bargain News, or a guy standing on the corner of your street.

Ask yourself, is it possible that they guy could make ten copies of the program and sell them all for $175 and include the exact same serial number with each one? You're not going to know until you try to activate and register the software.

Ask the guy to email you jpegs of everything he has. Close up shots not distance, fuzzy ones. Where did he get the software from? China?

If you called AutoDesk they probably wouldn't give you the time of day. Why? Because they want you to buy your copy of AutoCAD from an authorized reseller and not from someone on eBay, craigslist, Bargain News, or a guy standing on the corner of your street.

Ask yourself, is it possible that they guy could make ten copies of the program and sell them all for $175 and include the exact same serial number with each one? You're not going to know until you try to activate and register the software.

Ask the guy to email you jpegs of everything he has. Close up shots not distance, fuzzy ones. Where did he get the software from? China?

Well, i won't get the chance I just checked ebay and someone bought it for the $300.00 so unless he had more than one I am sol now...again. I guess he didn't get my email back intime to end the auction....

There is still the 2007 version up there but you got me worried about getting shafted...

Man do I get the short end of the stick or what...:(

well then her we go again.

**Oh sqare one nice to see you again**

Doesn't PayPal have some kind of protection policy? Maybe it would work. But I'd ask any seller to agree to take back any software that could not be registered and activated.

Doesn't PayPal have some kind of protection policy? Maybe it would work. But I'd ask any seller to agree to take back any software that could not be registered and activated.

I think I am gonna bid on the 2007 and get the upgrade from autodesk. I would rather him have a new computer to work with and not someone else problem (though I am sure not all used are bad). I called BB and it would void man. warranty if I downgraded but they could work with me on the extended warranty I bought through them.

I feel better purchasing through ebay because I know I can dispute an item if it doesn't work.

i bought my husband a motor for his pride and joy an old honda cbr and it didn't work. They wouldn't respond and paypal handled everything.

Seriously how can I thank you! I make a mean chocolate chip cookie! and a To-Die-For Peanut Butter Death by Chocolate cookie!!!:D