AutoCAD 2010 running slow

www.cmorephotos.co.uk

So your problem is mostly with slow response times when it comes to printing then and not actually while drawing and editting?

Are you on a network?

Yes and Yes. I did find out if I unplug from the network, ACA runs great. It loads faster, no hang ups with undo, and it plots faster. Well it doesn't actually plot but it goes thru the motions faster.

I looked at all the paths in options under files and there are no broken links, and I verified that the files were in the locations. I'm starting to think it has something to do with the Add a Plotter Wizard. But I don't know what to do besides searching the internet for a solution.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• clydemit

• cwize

• Larry711

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I got it now (fingers crossed). I have the plot styles on the server, I went and seen there was a 2007 add a plotter wizard along with the 2010 one. I left the 2010 one and moved the 2007 on to another folder not in the search path. I also removed all the ctb and stb files that I don't use. So far everything is great. ACA 2010 now loads in under 15 seconds and the plots and undo are a lot faster.

Thanks for the help.

• 1 month later...

Hi. I have a similar problem with LT 2010, which was running beautifully for about 2 weeks, now very sluggish. I've moved the drawings I'm working on to my local hard drive to eliminate network issues, but if I grab items to copy or move, the program goes into "not responding" for about 15-30 seconds before continuing. Same happens switching from model to paper space, etc. I've watched my resources, and nothing is taxing the CPU or RAM at all. Any suggestions?

edit: I also tried to download the update 1, but it says it can't find the product on my machine. Is the update specific to AutoCad and not AutoCad LT? Is there a way to "show the update" where my program is?

Update seems to have helped with the speed of launching the program, and very slightly improved the sluggishness, but it is still "unusable" compared to previous versions on different computers. I was running AutoCad 10 (full) on a 6-year-old IBM Thinkpad at my last job (just changed 3 weeks ago) and it was blisteringly fast.

Now, AutoCad LT, on a far superior machine, is just so slow to respond... I hate to think I just have to get used to 10-30 second waits when regenerating a drawing, switching between model/paper space, copying/moving items and zooming. It's driving me crazy.

I'm running full 2010 on a Win7 64-bit computer with no problems. Running 2010 LT on your machine should be a piece of cake.

Is the sluggishness an overall problem or does it seem to occur with certain drawings?

By the way, are you running an onboard video chip or a dedicated graphics card?

I'm running full 2010 on a Win7 64-bit computer with no problems. Running 2010 LT on your machine should be a piece of cake.

Is the sluggishness an overall problem or does it seem to occur with certain drawings?

By the way, are you running an onboard video chip or a dedicated graphics card?

I thought it was all drawings, but now I see it's not all. The particular dwg that has been really dogging me, I'd moved to my local HD to speed it up, but it didn't help. Then, I purged the xref'd title block to see if that would help - no dice.

I just opened a different drawing on our server, with xref'd title block, etc. and it does not have the problems (well, I think it's still a little slow, but nothing like this other). This was a drawing I started from scratch, however.

I have an NVidia Quadro FX 570 video card with 256MB onboard memory and 3070MB available total.

I'm new at this job, and I notice other Cad users like to group a lot of stuff instead of blocking - might this cause a slow-down? I'm grasping at straws to see what else might be kluging this up. The CPU and Memory aren't breaking a sweat according to Resource Monitor... it seems to be within AuotoCad LT.

"I have an NVidia Quadro FX 570 video card with 256MB onboard memory and 3070MB available total."

A dedicated graphics card would be hard pressed to borrow resources from main memory while an "onboard" (hard wired to the motherboard) wouldn't. It would happily and greedily steal resources.

This drawing file have a large scalelist? Might try thinning it out.

What's the speed of the installed RAM?

Also, you have 6GB RAM installed. Then you must have four slots right? Check your manual. If the RAM is not installed correctly (two of those slots MUST be filled before the other two) you could have a problem. With four slots usually two slots will be one color and the other two a second color. Do you have a schematic of the mobo layout?

I've purged everything out of the drawing (blocks, layers, text styles, dimension styles, etc.), and took out all but about 8 scales in the scalelist (whatever the default list was what was there). Still taking about 6 seconds to change tabs or go from paper to model space.

I just ran Passmark's benchmark test and my memory shows up as three 2048MB sticks in three slots, with slots 4, 5 & 6 "not populated". I don't know if I have 6 physical slots or if that's just a boilerplate thing in passmark. The speed of the memory is 1066 MHz.

I don't have any other info on the guts of this machine. I believe it was ordered from Dell configured this way (don't think anyone here cracked it open and installed anything).

Very interesting point about the dedicated vs integrated vid card... I don't know if this NVidia is upgradeable or not.

The Dell Precision T3500 actually has 6 memory slots and can accommodate up to 24GB of memory.

The nVidia FX 570 graphics card is an entry level workstation card configured with 256MB of DDR2 vidRAM. It is a dedicated card and not a chip installed onto the motherboard. I'm not sure where you are coming up with the phrase 256MB dedicated and 3048 available.

A quick scan of the 33 customer reviews that I saw had many users claiming "this machine flies". Unfortunately, you are not claiming the same thing. I suspect your problem may be related to the drawing itself and/or the way you access drawings via the network. I don't think it is a problem with your computer nor with AutoCAD LT.

By the way, is Win7 and AutoCAD LT 32-bit or 64-bit? Just curious.

cwize: Does your drawing live on a network drive, or is it stored locally?

If you're saving to a remote computer, NAS, branch office, etc. then you're at the mercy of your bandwidth for file saves. A slow network wouldn't slow down anything other than saves, and possibly accessing palettes or libraries that aren't stored on your computer. If you're not working from the local hard drive, try copying the file to your desktop and work from there, see if that speeds anything up.

I have moved the drawing(s) I've been working on to my local machine to avoid server & bandwidth issues.

The 256 dedicated 3048 available was actually the way NVidia describes it ("total graphics memory: 3048Mb" I assume it just means it will go grab RAM if necessary. Yes, the 256 is the onboard.

My Win7/ACadLT is 64-bit.

I am thinking you are correct, that I'm dealing with some odd file management, way too many cut/paste/save-as drawings (they seem to be fond of "go-by's" here instead of drawing anything from scratch). We're not doing "real" architecture here, mostly schematic-style diagrams (lines, squares & circles) and some dwgs where we add items to existing plans/elevations/sections given to us by architects.

Oddly enough, it's not the drawings with the large Xref backgrounds causing me the most headaches, rather the schematics.

thanks for hearing me out, I will continue to investigate.

Try the command line version of purge and put a in front of it like this:

-purge

Purge Regapps, Zero-length geometry, and Empty text objects and see what happens.

There were a lot of regapps, a handful of Zero-length Geometry... but no improvement. I have started just deleting items out of the drawing.

it appears that it's dynamic text that is bogging everything down. I deleted all the text from the drawing and things move, copy, tab-switch instantly now.

I've never seen text slow things down that way... are there certain parameters or styles to stay away from? I just had a style called "ARIAL" that used arial.shx as the font, no other goodies. At my old job, our standard font was isocp.shx... so I don't see why this would cause such hangups.

I am no AutoCad guru, but I have been using it since R14 in 1999. This is the first time I've had this sort of issue.

New: I just put in hundreds of text items using the truetype arial font... and I can copy, move, etc. - flip tabs, everything is instantaneous now. Everything points to the style from the 'go-by' drawing.

I am at a loss to adequately explain why a certain font would have such a dramatic affect upon a drawing.

Thanks for updating us.

• 3 months later...

I have an HP xw4400 Workstation

Intel ® Pentium ® D CPU 3.2 GHz

1 GB RAM (Just upgraded to 2 GB Ram)

Hard Drive 141 GB

Graphics ATI FIRE GL V3300

Windows XP Professional 2002 SP3

Needless to say I am running so painfully slow and inefficient. Can someone recommend anything to help speed up? My company does not have funds currently to upgrade, and I may do some tweaking on my own to bring me up to speed. Suggestions? I tried increasing cache, but max it gives me is 2048.

The system you have will never run Civil 3D 2010 smoothly and efficiently. You need to upgrade. Below are the minimum system requirements for Civil 3D 2011, but should be the same for 2010.

For 32-Bit AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011

Windows® 7 Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, or Home Premium (32-bit); Windows Vista® Enterprise (SP1 or SP2, 32-bit); or Windows® XP Professional (SP3, 32-bit).

Intel® Pentium® 4 processor or AMD Athlon, 3.0 GHz or faster; or Intel or AMD dual core processor, 2.0 GHz or faster.

4 GB RAM minimum recommended.

7 GB disk space with 2 GB free after installation.

1,280 x 1,024 true color video display adapter (true color) 128 MB or greater, Pixel Shader 3.0 or greater, Direct3D®-capable workstation-class graphics card. 1,600 x 1,200 or greater recommended. Multiple monitors are supported.

Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 7.0 or later.

DVD drive.

For 64-Bit AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011

Windows 7 Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, or Home Premium (64-bit); Windows Vista Enterprise, Business, Ultimate (SP1 or SP2, 64-bit); or Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (SP2, 64-bit).

AMD Athlon 64, AMD Opteron, Intel® Xeon with Intel® EM64T support, Intel® Pentium® 4 with Intel EM64T support.

4 GB RAM minimum(8 GB recommended).

7 GB disk space with 2 GB free after installation.

1,280 x 1,024 true color video display adapter (true color) 128 MB or greater, Pixel Shader 3.0 or greater, Direct3D®-capable workstation-class graphics card. 1,600 x 1,200 or greater recommended. Multiple monitors are supported.

Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 7.0 or later.

DVD drive.

If your company has the funds to purchase a $7,000 piece of software, they should be able to spend a few more bucks to upgrade your computer so you can run it.

Sorry for lack of feedback being the OP.

Been extremly busy at work and net access has been restriced.

The original problem was resolved by cleaning up the PC, running all the usual virus, malware and spyware tools along with adding in the Autodesk service pack.

Have since upgraded to 2011 and it runs alot smoother.

Autocad can be a dream most of the time but theres always that little something.:)