• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• voltron

• rkent

• Nellie

Top Posters In This Topic

1) When I try to change a linetype in a particular file I am studying I cant see the changes I've made to the linetype of a layer. I changed the layer linetype from "Continuous" to "ACAD_ISO3W100" but the linetype remains that of the continuous type. How may I change it?

Unless you have a real specific need for the linetypes that start with ACAD.. I would just stay with the basic Hidden, Dashed, Phantom, etc. I have never encountered anyone using those in the 20 years I have been using AutoCAD.

When I start a new drawing it starts fine. The linetypes as reflected by the layer. But going back to my practice drawing where I try to change the linetype it doesn't change.

Linetypes display based on the LTSCALE and more recently with the Annotation scale. When you are in Model space you have to know what your desired plotting scale might be. So if you think you want your house plan plotted 1/4"=1'-0" then you would set LTSCALE to 48. 48 comes from figuring out how many time 1/4" is in 1 foot. So 12 divided by .25 = 48. Now when you move to a Layout (or PaperSpace) you need to set the LTSCALE to 1, or even .5 to get the linetypes to show. There is another variable you may have to set when in a Layout and that is PSLTSCALE. Look that one up in help.

2) Also I see in a reference drawing that there is a AM_ISO02W050 line type with a .25mm lineweight but when I check the load list of linetypes there is no such linetype.

See my comment for #1.

3) Is this one added or I need to create a new linetype? If so how may I do that?

From the command line you can type LINETYPE, pick the load button, pick the ones you want, OK.

4) Can I save layers of an existing drawing file to a new drawing file?

You can use DC which is Design Center, navigate to the file with layers in it and pull them to your drawing.

5) Can I save a dimension style from an existing drawing file for use to a new drawing file? I ask because it will make my self-study more "understandable" as I do not need to have to change the settings and just practice drawing in the meantime.

For # 4 and #5 the best strategy is to create a template file with all the settings, layers, dim and text styles, etc. maintained there. You can do this many ways. One way is to open a file where you have already created this information and saveas to a template of your own, like mytemplate.dwt. Now erase any lines, circles, etc and save and close. Now go into OPTIONS, Files, Template Settings, Drawing Template File Location, and set that to where you might want to keep and where you saved your mytemplate.dwt file. Now go to the Default Template File Name for QNEW and navigate to your mytemplate.dwt.

Now when you hit the qnew button, or type qnew, the new drawing will start from your template. As you add things you want in future drawings do that in the template and they will be there on new drawings.

You can also type new at the command line and use the browse, and navigate to an existing dwt or dwg and the new drawing will be based on that file. This is the same as opening a drawing and using saveas command.

6) Are there plug-ins that are to be added to ACAD 2008. What are they?

There are lots of lisp files to help automate things. You can go to cadalyst.com, and find them there. There are too many and too many places to list. If you run across something you would like to automate post back here in a new post and someone will upload one or tell you where it can be found.

Hi; I will check it out dude! Can you give me tips on how may I attach an acad file or a screenshot for my next inquiry? I kinda hit something of a snag and I want to ask in this forum and I don't know how to do it... Thanks! voltron

Remember to start a new post with your next inquiry.