Can someone tell me what this person is doing?

J S Machine

Found this vid on youtube. Seems simple enough. I can't hardly see the drop down menus, and I am using 2009. I have the basic shape of the roof drawn out, but when it comes to the extruding part I lose them.

Any hints?

h t t p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OHx4a-3VBQ

note, had to put spaces in the http above so that it would let me post it. It is not spam lol.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J S Machine

• stevsmith

• ReMark

• kencaz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

he has used the extrude command and added a taper.

Follow the command line prompts

I tried to do exactly what he did, but instead of my geometry extruding towards the center, it extruded into a bunch of different angles.

I tried to do exactly what he did, but instead of my geometry extruding towards the center, it extruded into a bunch of different angles.

Use PEDIT to join the roof lines before you extrude or each line will extrude as a surface.

KC

pedit will only convert 1 line into a polyline.

Use mpedit (type into command line) and select all the lines

Follow the command prompts.

Convert arcs and lines to plines? Yes

Enter option: Join

Fuzz = 0

Exit.

It saves you having to join them all together.

Thanks for you folk's replies. That got me to a certain point, but there is still something being done to the geometry to make everything meet correctly.

Before I knew about the polyline deal, I noticed that when I went to extrude it said something like "11 objects selected". After doing the mpedit command I see it only has "1 object selected". Everything works now like it should, but as I bring the roof up I can only go so far. If I go past 4.5 feet it tells me "unable to extrude" .

I notice in the video that he only brings his up to 2 feet I believe, and then he does some sort of other command before he brings everything up and all the angles meet to make the apex of the roof.

Please excuse my ignorance guys, I'm new to this. I have a book ordered to help me with alot of the basics but it won't be here for a week or two.

Here's what I have so far. This is the roof extruded up to 4.5 feet-

roofextrude1.jpg

JSM: Newbies are prohibited from including attachments until they have a total of ten posts. Hurry up, you've only six more to go.

So, how about the Crimson Tide?

JSM: Newbies are prohibited from including attachments until they have a total of ten posts. Hurry up, you've only six more to go.

So, how about the Crimson Tide?

Well what am I am I supposed to do? lol, I don't know enough about the topic to reply to anybody else's questions..

Mark Ingram is gonna win the Heisman!

Basically if you go higher than 4.5 feet the points then the extrude would clash int other exctruded points and turn itself inside out.

I have highlighted the problem areas. They are to close to each other and would clash.

Hope that explains it.

extrude height.JPG

And what makes you so certain about that?

He set the stadium record for rushing yards the other night against South Carolina. He is one heck of a running Back. I don't know for certain that he'll win it, but I hope he does -he deserves it.

So who do you pull for?

Sounds like you need to change the roof pitch to go higher.

I'm going to try this.

Maybe he is doing something to the roof and changing the pitch. I thought it looked a little flat.

he has edited the top face of the roof.

Do the following from the dropdown menu.

Modify

Solid Editing

Move faces

Select the top face and move the cursor up this will strech the roof up to its apex.

I think Tim Tebow of Florida will get it.

How's that roof coming? Done yet? What's taking so long? Too much football talk. LOL

Just trying to get your post count up JS!

Too much football talk.

It's not football if 95% of the time you use your hands :D

he has edited the top face of the roof.

Do the following from the dropdown menu.

Modify

Solid Editing

Move faces

Select the top face and move the cursor up this will strech the roof up to its apex.

I just figured this out. The only thing that I don't like is that as you move the lines closer, it pulls the outside edges in as well. Trying to figure out a way to get around this.

How's that roof coming? Done yet? What's taking so long? Too much football talk. LOL

I appreciate the post count help lol, most mods would run me out for going off topic.

I like Tim Tebow. I think He is a great ball player. I don't like how the Media worships him and calls him Superman and all that jazz. The one thing that nobody seems to understand is that he does not make that team. Without his offensive line and the rest of his TEAM, he wouldn't be able to do anything.

And besides that, hasn't he already won a Heisman?? Give somebody else a chance. Even if it isn't Mark Ingram...