Nuts and Bolts

The Drafter

I can't speak for ReMark but I laughed out loud when I read your post: Because, in fact, it IS. See the image below. (BTW She has published a Bible for every version back to at least R14.) You may be able to pick up a used copy for 2006.

Glen

lol....

Well in regards to that - I should say "it's a great resource"

just was not giving steps for my version of CAD....

:D

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joemaddigotz

• ReMark

• SuperCAD

• The Drafter

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe it just required repeating the above.

This info was also provided in another thread as well wasn't it?

Never mind. I hadn't had my tenth cup of coffee yet.

I was able to see the Helix.lsp thread ----- but I was not able to understand how an .LSP file actually worked.

I read the other thread that Fuccaro posted in a link and it gave me an understanding of how to use .LSP.

As far as the "helcon" command - I still have to learn how to use it -

:D

You might have had a better understanding of how an AutoLISP routine worked had you followed my early advice about checking out the AutoCAD FAQ section as instructed (after I clued you into the Helix.lsp routine). I think because you basically posted the same questions in two different threads you might have forgotten what you read and when you read it. Nevermind. LOL

You might have had a better understanding of how an AutoLISP routine worked had you followed my early advice about checking out the AutoCAD FAQ section as instructed (after I clued you into the Helix.lsp routine). I think because you basically posted the same questions in two different threads you might have forgotten what you read and when you read it. Nevermind. LOL

Darn,

Okay I see what you were saying now and your right about that. I must have missed the "archive" portion of what you posted and didn't realize there was such an area. I was searching the forum for it - but unaware of the actual location on the website. I made a mistake of overlooking a good lead --- :oops:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1396

Sorry ReMark... I hope you will still continue to help me in the future -- :geek:

Well, here is my attempt at a perfect screw thread. Machine screws and bolts are easy since the thread doesn't change diameter from start to finish. The only thing you need to do is bevel the bottom at a 50 degree angle (give or take a degree or so).

A wood screw is not for the faint of heart however. The problem is creating a gimlet point at the end. The picture I've attached, along with the DWG file is probably over 90% accurate (I can still see some separation from the thread and the root body near the point). I could get it to 100% by creating more loft segments.

For the wiseguy who's replies have been deleted, the steps involved in creating a gimlet point would take a week to write so that it was understandable, so I'm not going to do that. What would be the point any way? There really is no need to go to this level of detail on a screw unless you're manufacturing screws. If that's the case, I would think that you'd be using a program like Catia or Pro-E or something way more powerful than AutoCAD.

That said, here you go. I think what the problem with Ellen's video tutorial was that she forgot to use the align option when sweeping the profile along the helix. Without that, the threads end up looking all jacked up and not perpendicular to the body.

A word of warning: IF YOU USE TOO MANY OF THESE SCREWS IN YOUR MODEL IT WILL CRASH!. This little tiny screw is over 150K by itself, and it adds up quickly.

EDIT: Here's a cheesy render of it too.

Thanks, ReMark.

Just an FYI for everyone, if you go to McMaster Carr's website, they have a ton of 3D models and 2D drawings that you can download for free. No wood screws, but plenty of nuts and bolts with a lot of sheet metal screws thrown in as well.

Sure beats trying to model all of this yourself.