AutoCAD 2012 - Some anomolies I have encountered.

ReMark

I think my new work system (see Computer Details to left) is just about right for the work I do but if I every get invited on Jeopardy I'll take another look at the Cray CX1 Jack.

That of course wasn't a serious suggestion, but for what those things cost you should be able to just think about what you want and see it appear.

At any rate i hope you get it figured out. Hinkey stuff like this is always a challenge.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Jack_O'neill

• SLW210

• rkent

Yes, it is hinkey, especially since I have 2010 running on the same computer and do not have the same problems. Odd. Very odd.

Yes, it is hinkey, especially since I have 2010 running on the same computer and do not have the same problems. Odd. Very odd.

As i said earlier, I use 2010 and had it do that a few times, but I could never make it do it deliberately. I can say that it has never done it in the classic workspace, so I gave up trying to figure it out. Wrote it off as a video card aberration.

Let us know if you figure out what it is. If you're having that problem, chances are others will too.

So, just to update this thread, I reported a problem with an AutoCAD Error message that reads "Unrecognized version and cannot be read" using the redesigned Customer Service Portal (for Subscription members) and I have to say that AutoDesk goes out of its way to make things MORE confusing than they have to be. One cannot directly type in the required serial number and product description. As a matter of fact instead of asking for a serial number the term used is "Supported Asset". Now, I ask you, would you instinctively know that AutoDesk is requesting your product serial number just by seeing those two words?

Who comes up with this crap?

That would make me think they wanted the title, like AutoCAD or Inventor or whatever, not the serial number.

I hate it when companies start renaming thier terminology and buzzwords.

One would think that's what they wanted but just below it is an entry for "Supported Product". The customer cannot enter the program name directly though. To do so produces a warning that there is information missing that is required! WTF?

Makes perfect sense to me...if you want to keep complaints to a minimum, make the complaint form difficult to use and impossible to decipher.

2011 crashed twice yesterday, about half the time I switch from Model to Layout my cursor disappears, and already crashed once today. I hope a new computer fixes my troubles with AutoCAD 2011.

Had to skip 2011 the second time around. Ran into a problem trying to load it. Was almost going to do it "flat" but figured 2012 would be a better choice. Maybe I made a mistake. I do not usually jump on a new release for about three months.

I usually wait quite a while between releases, skipping some of them even. Usually when I get an email saying it's my last chance to upgrade before having to buy a new seat, in fact. Decided not do that with 2007, and bought a seat of 2010 to go on a new computer. Having done that though, my upgrade money is in a severe pinch now and will be for quite a while. I'll let all you guys sort out the bugs in the new releases this time.

I had 2012 sitting on my desk and I was going to install it, but I decided to shelve it. Maybe after the first round of patches have been out for a little while.

• 2 weeks later...

2012 has a lot of bugs I have wasted two days to configure it

still very buggy I have been a beta tester for Atuodesk

but with kids i had to stop. Looks like they need to beta test.

What "bugs" have you encountered?

I submitted a request for some assistance since I am on Subscription. I followed all the advice/recommendations given and the problem I encountered still remains. I even sent AutoDesk a sample drawing file that exhibits the problem. No one as yet has been able to pinpoint the source of the problem. The three things they initially had me look at were the UAC, my "permissions" and the driver for my graphics card.

I guess Autodesk is trying to squelch the odd number years being extremely buggy talk. :ouch:

They could do that most effectively if they would just thoroughly test thier products before releasing them. Every time they rush a new release it's full of problems. I know that with the size and complexity of these products, they can't possibly find everything but for crying out loud...when people have this much trouble just installing it? Surely they can beat that.

And what's the rush anyway? Have they forgotten the lessons learned from 13? "The next big thing" won't make you any money if it don't work.

Unless there is a good reason to do so software and cars should have new model releases every two years not every single year. LOL

They could do that most effectively if they would just thoroughly test thier products before releasing them. Every time they rush a new release it's full of problems. I know that with the size and complexity of these products' date=' they can't possibly find everything but for crying out loud...when people have this much trouble just installing it? Surely they can beat that.

And what's the rush anyway? [b'] Have they forgotten the lessons learned from 13?[/b] "The next big thing" won't make you any money if it don't work".

R13 being so buggy just created a hike in the # that immediately moved to R14. :ouch: They are still bigger than ever, so they do not care, just look at the response to the problems of ReMark

What "bugs" have you encountered?

I submitted a request for some assistance since I am on Subscription. I followed all the advice/recommendations given and the problem I encountered still remains. I even sent AutoDesk a sample drawing file that exhibits the problem. No one as yet has been able to pinpoint the source of the problem. The three things they initially had me look at were the UAC, my "permissions" and the driver for my graphics card.

For the price (even if it was free), I feel Autodesk customer support is extremely lacking, hence why more questions are addressed at CADTutor than the Autodesk forums. Most likely why my company will move to Bentley.

The testing is thorough enough, it is the response that lacks.

I was on the Autodesk feedback community at one time, but after it seemed they never were interested in fixing the reported bugs, I stop messing with testing. As it turns out the last Beta testing I did was the 2009 versions of AutoCAD and Mechanical, considered second buggiest behind R13. Coincidence that many of the bugs in 2009 Released are some of the same problems reported in my testing of the Beta.

R13 being so buggy just created a hike in the # that immediately moved to R14. :ouch: They are still bigger than ever, so they do not care, just look at the response to the problems of ReMark

It had the opposite effect for me. Once we got a stable install of 13, I was done. When the dealer called trying to sell me 14, I said "absolutely not!" Took him a month of calling every week to talk me into even trying it. I will give them this...14 was as good straight out of the box as I've ever seen, up to 2010. I don't know the consensus on 2010, but I've had the least amount of problems from it than any of the others. I really like it, with the following caveat...in "autocad classic" workspace. That ribbon thing is ok I guess, but the few issues I had with 2010 originally went away when I switched to classic. Gone back a few times and tried it...no thanks. I'll stick with classic.

My previous favorite is the 2007 ADT I have on the other machine. It has had no problems either. After I got everything set up like I wanted it, its been great. I will say however, that some of the stuff in the tutorial for the vertical end of it does not work like the tutorial says it will, but there are ways to get it to do it. I don't recall right now what specifically it was, too long ago now, but there were some menu items that weren't where they were supposed to be and a command or two that didn't exist, but I found the ones that did what the text called for. I figured that was an error in the tutorial rather than the software.

2000i was a misfire in my opinion, but 2004 seemed to be ok. Skipped everything between them. I skipped everything after it up to 2007, then skipped again to 2010.

I'm one of the minority I guess. You sell me good stuff, I come back. Sell me crap, I go away. When the 13 fiasco happened, there wasn't really anywhere to go in that price range. They used to have us by the short hairs, but there are some pretty good packages available at much less cost these days. We have alternatives now, and Autodesk needs to realize that before the users do.

Favs: r9...r14...2000...2004...2007...2010. Everything between I either did not buy, did not load or hated. Can't remember prior to r9. It's been too long! LOL Although come to think of it rllc2 was OK too.

My favs are/were: R14, 2000i, 2008 and so far no real complaints on 2011, everyone here except me is on 2005, so occasionally I will do some work with 2005 and I have no complaints, except trying to use commands from 2011 and not existing. I have a copy at home of 2000i, running some add-ons and lots of lisp, that I haven't used for a while. R10 was pretty neat at the time.

Alas I believe we are telling our ages and on top of that I was no teenager when R10 came out. :ouch: