help with rendering deck

cso

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm sure I could learn sketchup, but not in one day (which is what I need). And, I really need to fine tune my AutoCad skills, but that is for later too.

I realized that my sketch I was working from was not included, so that may help.

What I am really looking for is feedback on the design of the two steps coming down and how they look with the hot tub. Do you like the way they wrap around? There is a "jog" or bend in the third step. Do you think that is ok, or should the third step go all the way across? Is there too much going on? The way it was (fallback option), is just to have two steps going down to the lower deck and the hot tub just where it is. There was no connection between the steps and the hot tub.

new-option-A.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• f700es

• cso

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I like what you have as for the layout. I like the perch (A) right above the hot tub. I like the steps and hot tub coming together. One could sit on the perch and have their feet/legs in the hot tub. Nice layout.

Sean

I like the layout just fine, very nice. If you would like you could built it at my house first and see if you like it. I would hate for you to ruin your yard.

Let's just start with two-way traffic up/down the stairs especially just off the upper left end of the hot tub. Someone is going to break an ankle. The railing ends in the wrong location too. Try imaging your grandparents using these steps.

It's the diagonal portion nearest the hot tub that concern me the most but the OP can build whatever she wants. I'm not the one paying the insurance premiums. LOL

What is an OP? As for safety and the railing, we'll give that some more thought. Our old deck had the railing where the planter is going to be, so that may become a concern. I have cleaned up my drawing somewhat and here is what I am thinking. Although now I am going to ponder adding a railing, and adjusting how the planter will fit in..Thanks for all your suggestions.

Deck-option-C.jpg

Let's just start with two-way traffic up/down the stairs especially just off the upper left end of the hot tub. Someone is going to break an ankle. The railing ends in the wrong location too. Try imaging your grandparents using these steps.

Could add some bent tube railings or wood if you wanted to add a little more material.

Deck-option-C.jpg

KC

That may work, but I don't think two are needed, maybe just the one near the open door. What do you think of adding step and a planter instead on that side?

Deck-option-F.jpg

Your balustrades are spaced on 6" centers. I believe this is not to code. They should be on 4" centers.

The posts lack style/personality by being flush with the railings. I'd raised them up and add a nice cap treatment to each.

I still think your husband would benefit from the installation of a railing as he enters and exits the hot tub.

The stairs in the image above look to be safer. How wide is the tread?

With the tub and planter located as they are you have basically made for one-way traffic to the right of the tub. How wide is that walkway?

I just noticed that the lower rail, to the right of your planter, penetrates the steps. You might want to fix that.

The balustrades are not drawn right, I just quickly drew them (but I will fix them in time- it will be a good summer Cad exercise for me to finish this project correctly!). My main questions are with how the steps will look/work with the hot tub if we changed them as shown. Previouisly the hot tub sat elevated beyond the steps. Now, it will be slightly lower and somewhat integrated with the steps to created a somewhat sunken look. That was what we are hoping to achieve. At the same time, this will allow my husband to get in on the side near the platform and hold on there for support if needed.

We have been going back and forth on keeping the top railing flush all the way across. There are more turns and corners along the borders than I have not shown, so we would end up with 15 caps if we were to go that way.

I'm not sure how wide the tread will be on the steps. The builder is coming today to review the plan, so we'll figure that out and see what other concerns he may have.

If we put the the planter as shown, it will only allow for one-way traffic, but most people will just use the stairs without a rail. We have had two steps with only the side rail before and rarely did anyone use that side to go up and down.

What is the rule of thumb, deck nail gap between boards?

That would depend on the wood being used. If you're using treated decking, it's important to know if the wood was kiln dried BEFORE or AFTER the treatment process. If it was dried BEFORE, then you can just butt the decking together. As it dries naturally it will create the gap needed. If it was kiln dried AFTER treating the boards are already shrunk and you will need to gap them with a 16D nail, otherwise if you butt them they will expand with the moisture and cause the boards to cup.

If it's engineered decking, follow the MFG's install guides.

i like the improved step design, it is safer and easier to build, as well as cleaner and better looking. and i wouldn't put caps on either. flush is good!

• 2 weeks later...

just stumbled across this thread. I've already done what you are trying to accomplish (very close in design as well) but I must share my experience with you.

1. not sure where you live but when it's below freezing out, that tub seems like a 100 yards further away than it really is :o.

2. ok this is the real pisser, because we sank ours into the deck, it turns out RATS turned the tub into a year round condo from underneath! ate all the wiring, etc... I'm STILL in the process of rewiring it, so make sure its rodent proof!.

3. be carefull how deep you sink it. If you have a lid on it (not having one is not an option really) it comes with a hinge kit so you can fold it back with just 1 person. Well it stands up behind the tub when erect. Make sure it doesn't hit the floor before it's all the way up.

If I think about it I'll post some pics after work.