Long saving times

AstroNout

Hi guys,

I've had some trouble using the autoCAD 2011 program to save my drawings. It takes forever to save, even with small drawings. I always save to 2004 and use VBA and LISP codes while drawing.

I've set the SAVEFIDELITY to 0, since I use a bunch of annotive objects, but can't seem to get the thing working?

What am I missing?

Thanks y'all!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• AstroNout

• SLW210

• DANIEL

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see a full spec on your computer hardware. And as far as the software is concerned are you using 32-bit or 64-bit?

What else do you have running in the background? Ex. - antivirus program.

Are you on a standalone computer or on a network?

• 1 month later...

Right, sorry for the late repost, but I've been a bit busy.

So, I'm using Windows 7 64 bit, see my details on my profile for my computer. I've tried tuning up, but the system doesn't seem to use the full processor capacity. Just one of the two processors is used for Acad.

The anti-virus is AVG2012. Nothing else is running on the background, to my knowledge :unsure:

It's a stand alone.

I've just updated to the update 2 for autocad 2011 Map.

In addition to my previous problems, I and my colleage are having problems with slow snap-performance.

Thanks for the help,

Arnout

It can't be that pressing of a problem then if you lived it with for almost two months.

I take it you are working over a network right?

Are xrefs being used?

Have you checked for bloated scalelists?

Do you make use of layer filters?

Have you disabled or enabled hardware acceleration?

Haha, well, it wasn't pressing the last two months because I was using my Toughbook, wich was working fine. 2004 on that one. Could it be the changing between a 2004 and a 2011 platform that causes the problem?

Anyways, every program is installed on this computer. So no programs are loaded over the network.

We don't use XRefs, but we do use a lot of blocks for visualisation of key points. New pieces of drawing are inserted as block and then exploded so we can edit dated maps into an updated version. Since this uses up a lot of space, we regulary purge the drawings before changing to another platform or sending it to our contractors.

No layer filters are used and the hardware acceleration is disabled.

I don't attribute the problem to a change in software (2004 --> 2011) unless you never changed your OS or your computer hardware specs.

Exploding blocks is certainly frowned upon but you say the problem happens even with small drawings. What typical file sizes are you normally dealing with?

Your computer uses an onboard graphics chip rather than a graphics card?

Yeah, well, I'm stuck with the computer wich my boss provides, so, hell...

The drawing I'm working with now is 30 MB, inserted drawings are max 2MB. Not too large...

Since I saved to 2004, it was a bit slower, but now I save to a 2010 file, so the saving is a bit faster. Still no speeding bullet. But the snapfunction is bleeping anoying. Drawing the first line of a polyline takes a couple of seconds, and I have to make the new drawing fit into the old one, so a lot of snapping, breaking, deleting, drawing and selecting is going on.

One considers throwing out the laptop, but that doesn't really solve the problem, now does it... :)

A 30MB file on a laptop without a dedicated graphics card, in my opinion, is going to perform like molasses in January in the Artic circle. Veeerrrryyy slooooooow. Get my point?

Kill as many processes as you can that are running in the background and try again.

If that doesn't work then increase the size of your virtual memory.

Yeah, I know where you're coming from, but the strange thing is that it worked just fine in earlier versions of the file, using up the same space. Performance was okay. Evidently not the fastest on earth, but pretty workable. Editing now is waiting for the sun to come up on the North pole around this time of year... But zooming and all other commands work just fine...

In my opinion something changed in the settings of the drawing. Yesterday everything worked on my toughbook too, but now the file also lags on the toughbook, even though I saved everything and shut the laptop down normally. I copied the file from the toughbook for further editing on my ASUS. Therefor I don't think the problem is platform related.

Is there a way to set the speed of the point acquisition? Or the magnet of the snap? It seems it just snaps when you're really, reaallly close to the point you need, and then it still seems to take 2 seconds, but then exactly 2 seconds.

Is there a way to set the magnet of the snap? It seems it just snaps when you're really, reaallly close to the point you need

Check the size of the Aperture.

All updates/service packs applied?

How deep is your file structure? Are the paths to folders abnormally long?

Set ISAVEPERCENT to "0". Close all drawings and exit AutoCAD. Restart and test.