PC or Mac

lube

...(I haven't used a Mac since around '93 of last century, so don't really know anything about them other than that).

I remember my first computer was an Apple IIe so I'm not against Apple Computer. They make wonderful machines and for decades have dominated the graphics world. But my experience has been that an Apple user will show up to work with a terrific idea or file and no one at the office can use it because it's Apple. This has changed a lot in the last 10 years I agree, but I still find that most users are not advanced enough to cross-talk between the two systems. Now that makes PC's more plausible because PC's are used by the vast majority of business users. That's no smack at Apple. It's just that I find more people using PC's than Macs.

I also agree that there is some kind of clique mentality when it comes to Macs. Maybe it's that illuminated apple glowing on the top cover which hypnotically draws people to it. If it works for you fine. But again, my experience has been that people see a Mac, think it must be cooler than a PC, spend $2K to $3K on buying one and all the needed software and then cannot do anything more with it than they could have done with the PC they just abandoned.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• f700es

• resullins

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not that I want to defend Apple, but I think current market share would be a more viable measure to use. Most recent quarter I think they were at 12%+ of all PC sales.

Your chart is looking at all existing computers for some number of years, a tally of all computers over time. Market share is a snap shot of a point in time, two different things.

Your chart is looking at all existing computers for some number of years, a tally of all computers over time. Market share is a snap shot of a point in time, two different things.

Where do you get that? It's labeled "Market Share".

There may be more PCs than Macs out there but the next time you watch a movie or a TV show just notice how many Macs (mainly laptops of course) are being given the "product placement" shot.

I wasn't clear in post 45, the Current Market Share for the 3rd quarter of 2011 is 12.9% for Apple of all computer sales.

The chart presented in post 42 is clearly a cumulative market share, unless they are still selling NT, XP and Vista but I don't think so.

There may be more PCs than Macs out there but the next time you watch a movie or a TV show just notice how many Macs (mainly laptops of course) are being given the "product placement" shot.

That's cause PC doesn't NEED the product placement. They sell them without the hipsters.

According to the encyclopedia....

Market Share

The percentage of an industry or market's total sales that is earned by a particular company over a specified time period. Market share is calculated by taking the company's sales over the period and dividing it by the total sales of the industry over the same period. This metric is used to give a general idea of the size of a company to its market and its competitors.

The sales and marketing seminar is being held in room 101, down the hall, and on your left. Don't bother to knock. Walk right in, sit right down, the guest lecturer will be in shortly.:lol:

According to the encyclopedia....

If you bothered reading post 48 I explained already that I misspoke, but thanks for the unnecessary clarification.

If you bothered reading post 48 I explained already that I misspoke, but thanks for the unnecessary clarification.

I saw nothing in post #48 retracting your previous statement. Nor did you clarify the definition of Market Share.

I do not need your permission to post a clarification.

Legwarmers AND sipping a caffe' macchiato.

I hate Starbucks and their "Macchiatto". What they serve isn't even CLOSE to a macchiatto. But their mochas are really yummy.... CRAP!

"Coffee doesn't need a menu, it needs a cup! That's all it needs! Maybe a saucer underneath the cup- that's it!"

"You can get every other flavor except COFFEE FLAVORED COFFEE! They got mochaccino, they've got chococcino, frapaccino, capaccino, rapaccino, Al Pacino ..."

Lock 'n Load - Denis Leary

Content edited for language!