PC or Mac

lube

Well fine then... I guess I'll have to be the old fart who doesn't all this technology a'changin.

Uh oh... I'm only 28... I hope this doesn't get progressively worse, or I may be back to the colonial days when I get to be 50.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• f700es

• resullins

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Next you'll be telling us how much you miss your old 16-bit system, OS and programs. I thought you "youngsters" were the ones most eager to push technology. Seems like some of us dinosaurs are leading the pack instead. LOL

Not me! Remember, it was me that asked you just today how to fix that fact that my AC was reverting back to the RIBBON! I HATE that little update. I'm kinda set in my ways... don't like change. except of course when that change involves making my life easier... like the SNAP thing... or learning LISP... or Tool Palettes.

I'm just a weirdo I guess. That's nothing new.

I disagree. 64-bit IS the way to go. It does not make sense to stay with a 32-bit system. If your printer or plotter is so old that you can't get a 64-bit driver for it then it is time to upgrade.

That's the same logic that says if they discontinue the recommended tire size for your car, you should buy a new car.

You start agreeing with that, then you'll be buying a whole new system every six months, software and all. I can not afford to switch systems, software and plotters simply because someone figured out how do something differently. My plotter is a year old this month, it will not be replaced anytime soon.

You have a 1 year old plotter but it does not have 64-bit Win7 drivers? :huh:

In a more serious note, I don't see a jump to a 128-bit system any time soon.

You have a 1 year old plotter but it does not have 64-bit Win7 drivers? :huh:

In a more serious note, I don't see a jump to a 128-bit system any time soon.

I dunno...never looked. I have three systems here running on the 32 bit version of XP. I'm a great believer in that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

If you contemplating buying a NEW computer then it does make sense to upgrade to a 64-bit system.

But not if buying a $5000 new computer ALSO requires you to buy a $10000 plotter.

I think in that analogy the tired were the computer, and the car was the plotter.

Cool, I can see that as well but (and there always is one) MS is going to drop support for XP soon. Newer software might also be more efficient in new versions of Windows as well. Keep your options open, that's all I am saying.

I dunno...never looked. I have three systems here running on the 32 bit version of XP. I'm a great believer in that "if it ain't broke' date=' don't fix it".[/quote']

$5,000 new PC, what are you buying a Cray?

$1,500 at Dell gets a core i7-2600 (HT quad-core), 16gb ram, 2 tb hdd, Win7 Ultimate, nVidia GT520 1gb video. Sure some don't like Dell but others will similar.

Throw 2 24" lcds on there and you are right at $2,000.

But not if buying a $5000 new computer ALSO requires you to buy a $10000 plotter.

I think in that analogy the tired were the computer, and the car was the plotter.

No question get 64-bit.

You could also use a Mac with Windows OS - I know a very respected Desker who runs a Mac with Windows and states it because it is the fastest (laptop - he has to have mobile system) he has tested. Requires Parallels or something for dual OS boot (I haven't used a Mac since around '93 of last century, so don't really know anything about them other than that).

Why would you need a $10,000 plotter? What are you printing, full "E" size color renditions of architectural perspectives?

Well, full E size, yes. Color, sometimes.

What plotter do you currently have?

It's an HP Design Jet... can't remember the number, cause I don't actually have one. I work from home in TN... but we have two of the DJ's in Phoenix and San Diego, and one that's apparently BALLER in the Vegas office, though I don't know what that one is. It's the newest one, and no, it doesn't have 64 bit drivers, either.

Got a HP DJ 500 Plus here at work. Bought in 2002. The company says it plans to replace it in the second quarter of 2012.

That's a shame. You won't get the pleasure of using the new one for very long till the zombie apocalypse or whatever it is that will end the world next year.

speaking of old plotters that you can't get drivers for....any body want an Ioline LP-4000?

This thing is probably older than half the people who participate on Cadtutor.