Create a 3D solid object from a space bounded by surfaces

luckyvictor

Is everybody satisfied now or do I have to thrash my chest with birch branches too?:lol:

I have some poison ivy I need removed from an apple tree. So, I'll see you Saturday?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• PALynch30

• luckyvictor

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm highly allergic to poison ivy but I'll be there. I'll be the person in the white Tyvec suit with a full-face respirator on. Get the ice tea ready dude!

I'll be the person in the white Tyvec suit with a full-face respirator on.

Super! I kicked some critters out of the attic and need to replace some soiled fiberglass insulation. This is going to work out great.

Now you want me to multi-task?:ouch:

Don't get the wrong impression ReMark, JD just wants us all to work up to our potential, and that of our futuristic software! :beer:

I'm just glad that I put that disclaimer in ......... I never use surfaces, always model solids, so I would be the last one to help with that .........

before JD showed up with all these magical incantations! :wink:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34735[/ATTACH]

Is this more like you're interested in?

"Flood fills"? Never heard of it. I'll have to look that up. Thanks.

The green object is more like something I am interesting. I am asked to create anything to be honest, but I am rather trying to explore the possibility of different methods.

With respect to your green object, the cross sections from all faces are kinda non-uniform, so it can't be created by simply using extrude command. Thus in this case, I think I could create all these surfaces, and then fill up the space to create a solid object. This is what I am trying to do. I am just expecting that AutoCAD can allow me to do this somehow.

Otherwise I think I can only create this object by having a large block, then keep slicing it with respect to its surfaces. However, this sounds too 'original', and I am guess there should be a better way to do it.

Did 2011 have the Sculpt tool (I don't know the command line command). This tool "flood fills" an enclosed set of surfaces with solid body.

This is exactly what I mean, which is mentioned in #29, but I think the Sculpt returns a surface object only, not a solid object

I demonstrated the use of SURFSCULPT in one of my posts and it did indeed return a solid object. Look again. And say "thanks" to JDM while you're at it.

Yes, it does work, probably I just did something wrong when I first used it.

Thanks everyone, especially JDM, who confirmed me that such method is possible!

I am asked to create anything to be honest, but I am rather trying to explore the possibility of different methods.

There are a bunch of (older) AutoCAD tutorials in my signature that deal with surface modeling.

JD, I browsed through all of the surfacing toolbars per your suggestion, watched all of the little instructional videos in the dropdown tooltips, and they certainly were informative.

Lots of good new tools there, although they typically would not be very applicable for the stuff I usually do.

Thanks for the heads-up. :beer:

... although they typically would not be very applicable for the stuff I usually do.

Have you done the Skeletal Modeling tutorial in my signature. It makes use of surfaces for trimming easy stuff (frames).

• 8 months later...

I am a C3D guy but am trying to help out a buddy and create this object for him. I need to get the model into a .stl format so he can get it prototyped. I have lots of surfaces but I need to connect, combine, merge, glue, tape, them together to form a solid object and I really have no idea how to do that.

I have attached the dwg for viewing for it will probably paint a clearer picture.

Thanks so much for any help,

CombineSurfacesToSolid.dwg

I am a C3D guy but am trying to help out a buddy and create this object for him. I need to get the model into a .stl format so he can get it prototyped. I have lots of surfaces but I need to connect, combine, merge, glue, tape, them together to form a solid object and I really have no idea how to do that.

I have attached the dwg for viewing for it will probably paint a clearer picture.

Thanks so much for any help,

Hello

you just export your file SLT with Inventor Fusion

I'm sure there are. It took me hours to create this object. This was my first time ever (no training or help) trying to draw a 3d object.

If you make a copy of the object>delete the surfaces, all you will see are plines, 3dplines, arcs, etc. I am sure I did not draw this the easiest way. I did everything manually. To where I am now (a busted model) probably took me 25hrs.

Can you guide me on how to fix the voids? Or even how to tell that I have voids?

'@Titi95.

I do not have Revit. I am using C3D and do not have a problem exporting to a .stl the problem that the object doesn't meet the model requirements to be in the .stl format. I have to make the model a true solid before I can produce a .stl at least form c3d.