Dimensioning in paper space - why?

It has always been a contentious issue of whether to dimension in model space or paper space. And I believe that it's a personal preference and either way, when done correctly, the plotted results will be the same.

I have been an avid believer of dimensioning in paper space. However, with the advent of annotation scaling, I do not understand why anyone would now dimension in paper space (unless I'm missing something???).

The main issue, I had with paperspace is, if I had my dimensions created in paper space and then I wanted to change the scale of the viewport to show a diffferent scale, DIMREGEN produced some unexpected results and sometimes wouldn't attach properly. I would end up having to dimension the objects again. A similar issue arose if I copy of viewport from one layout to another and then changed the scale. There are other issues but my main one was having to redo dimensions that were already drawn.

Now with annotation scaling, I can dimension everything once in model space and then apply the scale(s) to the dimension depending on the scale I want to plot at.

So my question is, are there any advantages now of dimensioning in paper space?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soleary

• ReMark

• nocturne00

• SuperCAD

As you said it probably comes down to personal preference and the way one was taught in the first place. A decade from now annotation dimensiong/scaling will probably be the norm. Personally, I still dimension in paperspace and will probably do so for a while longer until I have had the opportunity to acquaint myself with the pros and cons of annotation scaling. It's a lot like doing everything in model space then making the transition to using layouts. For some it wasn't worth the bother. For others the transition came slowly. All in good time, my friend; all in good time.

As you said it probably comes down to personal preference and the way one was taught in the first place. A decade from now annotation dimensiong/scaling will probably be the norm. Personally, I still dimension in paperspace and will probably do so for a while longer until I have had the opportunity to acquaint myself with the pros and cons of annotation scaling. It's a lot like doing everything in model space then making the transition to using layouts. For some it wasn't worth the bother. For others the transition came slowly. All in good time, my friend; all in good time.

Thanks Mark. But as someone ike yourself who has been dimensioning in paper space (as I have stated I did) do you find problems with it? It is an easy concept to grasp as you don't have to mess around with scaling your dimensions. But there are furstrating parts to it (in my opinion).

With annotation scaling, I really feel that these problems are addressed. Unless I can find some real advantage of dimensioning in paperspace, I'm officially converted back to how I started out dimensioning......in model space. Haha the wheel keeps on turning.....

I've been using AutoCAD long enough to have done exactly the same thing (dimension in model space). We have a few hundred drawings done entirely in model space we still maintain.

I don't have any problems dimensioning in my layout because I follow one set rule: never repeat dimensions between different views. And I keep my dimension text and arrowheads to a size that works well whether the viewport is scaled 1"=1', 1/8"=1' or 6"=1'. I can't think of any frustrations off the top of my head I've had dimensioning in a layout.

I've been using AutoCAD long enough to have done exactly the same thing (dimension in model space). We have a few hundred drawings done entirely in model space we still maintain.

I don't have any problems dimensioning in my layout because I follow one set rule: never repeat dimensions between different views. And I keep my dimension text and arrowheads to a size that works well whether the viewport is scaled 1"=1', 1/8"=1' or 6"=1'. I can't think of any frustrations off the top of my head I've had dimensioning in a layout.

How about when stretching, moving etc an object, or multiple, then having to amend the dimension, which would normally move with the entitiy?

I'm not criticising your technique, I'm just wondering how you find this problem?

EDIT: I also imagine it will depend on your discipline.

I am able to add dims at the end of a job so I prefer to dim in PS. The main reason I like this is that it makes for a much cleaner drawing, especially when showing a portion of the model. The dims are not obscured by objects in MS so they really stand out, adding to the clarity of the intent of the drawing. While in MS there is one less thing to get in the way, and yes the dim layer could be toggled off and on, but that is one more thing to do, and after it is back on you may need to adjust the location of dims to avoid being covered by other added objects.

3D is the exception as you won't get proper dim values if the model is not set to an ortho view.

PS- mainly coz you dont have to create a dimstyle for each scale, you'll need only one. in our's 2, Meters format and Millimeters.

Another advantage is that Dimensioning from PS inside a viewport works like annotative in the sense that the arrowhead sizes, text height, etc properties are retained although the dimension is in MS, but it must be placed from the viewport in PS.

PS- mainly coz you dont have to create a dimstyle for each scale, you'll need only one. in our's 2, Meters format and Millimeters.

Another advantage is that Dimensioning from PS inside a viewport works like annotative in the sense that the arrowhead sizes, text height, etc properties are retained although the dimension is in MS, but it must be placed from the viewport in PS.

Thanks again for reply nocturne00. One of my points is that now with annotation scaling you don't have to create a separate dimstyle or layer for each scale - so it has acquired one of the main advantages of PS dimensioning.

On your second point could you explain a little more? I understand what you are saying - place the dimension in MS while working in the paperspace viewport - but I don't understand what the advantage of this is?

The advantage for us is one dimstyle assigned to one layer. Could it be any easier?

Which is the SAME as annotation scaling when used in Model Space - one dimstyle, one layer. So now it's not an advantage anymore???? Back to my original question - am I missing something here?

I'm glad you asked. Yes, you are. I don't have to deal with dimensions (linework and text) while editing objects in model space. Pop in...make an addition, deletion or correction, then pop back out to paperspace.

I'm glad you asked. Yes, you are. I don't have to deal with dimensions (linework and text) while editing objects in model space. Pop in...make an addition, deletion or correction, then pop back out to paperspace.

Ah, so the major advantage is that you don't have to turn the layer on/off in model space. BIG advantage. How do you do a sarcastic smiley?

All I'm trying to do is ascertain (and learn) if they are now any advantages of dimensioning in paper space. To me, I can't see any. I mentioned, I used to dimension in paper space so I'm just looking for the path of least resistance to increase productivity. At the moment it seems to be dimensioning using annotation scaling in model space. So far, you haven't given me one single wothwhile advantage of PS dimensioning.

And you, my dear sir, haven't given me any new information that would change my mind. So what we have here is a classic "stand off" or "draw" at the moment. So I will wish you a sparkling day, it was nice to chat with you but now I must bid you a fond farewell.:)

The debate team meets on Thursday nights in the third room down the hall on the left. We start at 7 p.m. Don't be late.:lol:

And you, my dear sir, haven't given me any new information that would change my mind. So what we have here is a classic "stand off" or "draw" at the moment. So I will wish you a sparkling day, it was nice to chat with you but now I must bid you a fond farewell.:)

The debate team meets on Thursday nights in the third room down the hall on the left. We start at 7 p.m. Don't be late.:lol:

Ha ha ha. Respect but I thought I had given the main reason - when you change the scale of the viewports, for multiple viewports, after dimensions have been created in paper space, the dimesenions don't always display properly - so they end up having to be drawn again (or fixed) even after forcing a DIMREGEN. Or did you miss that point?? :D

Anyway, you have a nice day too..... see you on Thursday night :D

I got your point right in my eye :wink: . Now my vision is all blurry so I can't tell if I am working in modelspace, paperspace or outerspace!:lol: Stubborness must run in your family.:lol: :lol:

I got your point right in my eye :wink: . Now my vision is all blurry so I can't tell if I am working in modelspace, paperspace or outerspace!:lol: Stubborness must run in your family.:lol: :lol:

Hahaha. I love it. Although I did dimension in paper space but with the advent of new technology, I took the time to look into and study it and try to ask questions to learn more about it, rather than just adopting the approach similar to "paper space is the better way - and that's it", it's ME that's the stubborn one?????:lol:

Let me guess - you're a manager right :)

http://jokediary.com/2007/06/engineer-manager.html :lol:

I can't manage to even find my socks! But what I will do, in the interest of CAD-brotherhood, is promise to try out dimension scaling and report back honestly with a "thumbs up", "thumbs down" or one thumb in each direction (if I am totally confused) about my experience. You OK with that my stubborn debating friend? LOL

I can't manage to even find my socks! But what I will do, in the interest of CAD-brotherhood, is promise to try out dimension scaling and report back honestly with a "thumbs up", "thumbs down" or one thumb in each direction (if I am totally confused) about my experience. You OK with that my stubborn debating friend? LOL

Sounds good to me. Enjoy....:)

The best part about putting dimensions and notes in paperspace is that I don't have to turn off the layer(s) that the dimensions are on each time I want to move something in modelspace. Also, if I have an image that I need to use in two different places with two different sets of information, I don't have to add another layer and mess with maintaining multiple layers of dimensions and notes.

We have a CAD user at work who always did her projects with dims and notes in MS, and each time she wanted to reuse an image, she'd just copy it and paste somewhere off to the side so she could add more dimensions and notes. This caused a huge problem since that particular image required a customer requested change, and the change was only made to the original copy, and not the additional one. That was an expensive error.

When I first started at the company I work for, I was the only one who put his notes in paperspace. Since then, the other CAD users have seen the light and are now doing all the dims and notes in PS.

Getting back to your question though, I personally feel that dimensioning and notating in PS makes for a cleaner MS, and everything can be kept on one layer, rather than cluttering up the MS and needing multiple layers if you need to reuse an image in another viewport.