Newby - Spacing problems

g4m8l3r

Hi guys iv just downloaded the 2013 AutoCAD trial, I have a box of 176x485 and within it I am trying to align an array exactly between the top and bottom line of the box 10mm from the top and bottom , I keep getting 10,19x 9,81 and such.

hope you guys and gals can sort me out.

thanks in advance.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• g4m8l3r

• Tiger

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The attached drawing appears to be blank. Want to try again?

What object are you trying to array?

Are you purposely working in a paper space layout or do you really want to be working in model space?

Typically you want to be drawing your objects in model space at FULL size no matter if they are the size of a paper clip or a Boeing 777. Understand?

One other thing....if you want to use metric units it is best to start with a metric template. Ex. - acadiso.dwt

If you box is 176mmx485mm and you offset 10mm from the top and bottom (not the sides too?) then the area you have to work within is 176x465 is it not?

Il attach it again,

I had started designing it on the paper space, is their any benefits to using model/paper.

I am designing a front panel for a 19" rack mount case.

The 7 objects on the right side have to be 156mm in complete length so it allows 10mm between the top line and the top object (same for the bottom).

Drawing1.dwg

1 column and 7 rows. Your center-to-center spacing will be 24.7 which should then leave you the desired 10mm from the side of the first and last object to the top/bottom of your box.

In your drawing all you have to do is move the column 0.19 towards the top of the box and it should be perfectly centered right?

Paper space layouts are typically where we would place our title block and border along with our general notes. Some of us even place our text and dimensions in our layout while others will place those entities in model space. There are specific techniques one needs to follow depending on which method is utilized.

And how do I get it to move in such small increments?

1 column and 7 rows. Your center-to-center spacing will be 24.7 which should then leave you the desired 10mm from the side of the first and last object to the top/bottom of your box.

In your drawing all you have to do is move the column 0.19 towards the top of the box and it should be perfectly centered right?

Use the Move command and type in, at the command line, the distance.

BTW...your arrayed rectangles are all drawn on the layer named ITEM but you have chosen to override the color (white) not once but twice as in showing other linework on the same layer in both red and blue. That is not good practice.

right iv typed in move and then lost from there...i thought it would be simple to align an item exactly between two lines

There is a hidden OSnap-point called M2P that finds the middle of two points. When in the Move-command and AutoCAD asks for Move-to-point, type M2P and select the twi points that you want the middle of.

right iv typed in move and then lost from there...i thought it would be simple to align an item exactly between two lines

You're making this more difficult than it really is.

Command: Move

Select objects: 1 found (since it is an array AutoCAD 2013 treats it as one object)

Select objects: Just AutoCAD thinking you want to move another object. You don't.

Specify base point or [Displacement] : Pick a point on or near your object. Now move your mouse in the direction you want to go and...

Specify second point or : ...type in the distance of .19

Done.