Penn Foster Student Suffering with Oleson Village Map!!!

AutoCad Student

The only other thing I can think is that I downloaded the drafting files they said to start the drawing with.. I wonder if there is something off there?  Maybe if I start from scratch it will work differently.  I had zero problems with the Olesen Village project.

Also reading back to the top of the Capitano project, there is no mention of setting up the limits. I assumed it was already done in the downloaded file.

Still, even if the downloaded file has some issue in it, I'd like to know what it is for future troubleshooting..

Thanks,

I'm just not getting the scale thing on this one. Is it units, is it feet, is it inches?  The books description is pretty cryptic.

This is what my instructor said.. 

It is still related to your unit settings. If I measure the distance between your spot elevations is comes up as 600 units, which appears that you put in in inches rather than feet.  The coordinates of the center point are in feet as should all of your other values.

The set up for the drawing says...

Unit type.  Specify decimal units. Set the precision to the hundredths' place (two digits to the right of the decimal point).

When I set the units this way and type a number it is in inches, even though I set units to decimal feet.  

I found this on another thread you posted...

Units: Architectural.

Dimension style units: Decimal

Precision: 0.000

Suffix: ' (the symbol for feet)

Scale factor: 0.08333

When I do that I can use the foot symbol and enter the measurements in feet.

I'm still not sure the coordinates come out right, but I will play with it and see..

Kevin 

• 10 months later...

Hello, I am completely lost with how to complete this project. I have read the whole post and tried to execute the project and I am getting no where. Is there someone on this form that can help me through microsoft teams,. I tried to hire a tutor and they have been unsuccessful with completing the project as well. Sincerly, a desperate Penn Foster student. 

I might be able to help you, however, it would have to be through this forum as I no longer run Microsoft 365.  BTW... I have helped a number of Penn-Foster students with the Oleson Village project as well as others.  If you search on the words "Penn-Foster" on this website it should bring up numerous threads many of which I participated in via text and images.

Edited by ReMark
  • Confused 1

Hi Remark, I see that the insertation scale here is inches but on the project direction it is in Feet. Should I be using inches? 

On 12/5/2012 at 4:41 AM, ReMark said:

Next: drawing a reference line to what will be the center of our benchmark.

Make sure Orthomode (F8 key) is toggled Off.

Start the Line command.

When prompted for the first point pick on the lower left hand corner of the rectangle using the Intersection or Endpoint OSnap.

Let go of your mouse.

When prompted for the next point type, at the command line, the following coordinates (do not use commas except to separate X/Y coordinates) 1421334.93,783207.62 then press Enter. AutoCAD continues to prompt for the next point. To cancel the command press Enter a second time or press your Esc key. The end of this reference line marks the centerpoint of your benchmark. The first line, referred to in the instructions on page 5 as POB, starts at this point and will extend up and slightly to the left which is equivalent to a direction of northwest.

Using your mouse scroll wheel zoom in to the end of this line so you have a better view.

Hello again, 

I'm running Autocad 2019 and the reference line to what will be the center of the benchmark is not showing up. I start the Line command, i point pick the lower left hand corner of the rectangle. I then enter the coordinates and press enter but nothing shows up. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. 

Re: First question.  The insertion scale is for any BLOCKS that will be inserted into a drawing.

Re: Second question.  The most likely reason you don't see the line is you are zoomed too far out.  P-F purposely set the limits of the drawing so large most students can't find what they are looking for.

On 12/5/2012 at 4:51 AM, ReMark said:

Drawing the POB line.

Orthomode should still be disabled (off).

Start the Line command. Pick the endpoint of the reference line.

Let go of the mouse.

For the next point type, at the command line, @113.66<N5d27'23"W (see image in next post).

Assuming the line is there how do we verify the length and distance? Answer: we use the List command (one of a couple of options).

Type List at the command line then press Enter. When asked to select object pick the line that was just drawn. Press Enter.

A text window should appear listing all the information about the line. Check that the length and angle are correct.

I have disabled orthomode and started the Line command. I hovered over the end point of the reference line and then let go of the mouse, When i enter For the next point type, at the command line, @113.66<N5d27'23"W it gives me an error. I am typing the cordinates exactly as is. What am I doing wrong? 

image.thumb.png.eaf2c38275cdfa4a0e2da17751f9ca8e.png

• Like 1

And what error are you seeing exactly?  BTW... after entering the distance and bearing did you press the Enter key?  The line you are being asked to draw should end up pointing northwest.  See image below.

Oleson Village BM-Boundary Line.png

Edited by ReMark
  • Like 1

It sounds to me like you need to go into your OPTIONS, and on the

USER PREFERENCES Tab select   KEYBOARD ENTRY, it looks like

your preference is set to Running OSnap.  Or perhaps disable any OSNAPS which

don't serve you during this process, in your OSNAP SETTINGS.   :beard: 

image.thumb.png.a5020ead74e5e6b350f2524731944df7.png

image.thumb.png.923a6b41ffbea4e1ab7c8d7ed8cb5e6c.png

If it still isn't working as you prefer, take a dive down the rabbit hole into More Drafting Settings, as per the following screenshot... :thumbsup:

image.thumb.png.15a69c12ead8d94ef8f47deba2c2980b.png

Edited by Dadgad
grammatical correction.

ReMark saying he has

On 7/23/2023 at 6:35 PM, ReMark said:

I might be able to help you, however, it would have to be through this forum as I no longer run Microsoft 365.  BTW... I have helped a number of Penn-Foster students with the Oleson Village project as well as others.  If you search on the words "Penn-Foster" on this website it should bring up numerous threads many of which I participated in via text and images.

That is totally   :beer:  laughable...which was why I tagged it as Confused.

ReMark single handedly, has done WAY more, for what likely borders

on the majority of you poor PF students, than all of the salaried

and seemingly largely nonresponsive "instructors".

As evidenced by one student post, wherein he tells of being

referred to one of ReMark's numerous threads, by his "instructor".

Well at least the instructor got that right!   :thumbsup:

If PF has opted to mess with your mind by setting EXTENTS encompassing the nearest black hole?

You might consider using SELECT ALL   >   Ctrl + A  is the shortcall.

Zoom way out before using it, and it will make it really easy

to figure out where your assignment is located.

I have been doing this for 15 years, and I have NEVER felt the need, nor opted to use EXTENTS.

I suspect that is the case for most forum members.

Good luck with your assignment.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Dadgad
grammatical

Hi Remark, thank you for all the advice. i am stuck at creating the buffer, sidewall, parking strip and curb. Can you please help me walk through this step by step. Here is my current drawing so far. Disregard text style and font as I do know it is incorrect. I just added them for now for reference. image.thumb.png.f9fe3d79e2ba923ab21f49d35bc2d2ef.png

Edited by rollie27

You have the purple centre line of the roads so offset left and right for curb, we call it kerb. Draw a circle for the court bowl again offset left and right. The curb returns are done by using the fillet command.

image.thumb.png.c38fd5bb9dbaeab95211f08485f57794.png 

rollie27: If you already have the streetlines drawn, then all it takes to draw the buffer, sidewalk, and parking strip is using the OFFSET command.  The trick is to offset in the correct direction and at the proper distance.  Typically, streetlines also serve as property lines so the buffer, sidewalk and parking strip need to be drawn between the streetlines rather than outside the streetlines.

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to draw a property line for Lot 5 and the project guide states: the property line heads in a northerly direction at a bearing of N1°15′7″W. However when I draw the line from the intersection of the Lot 5 circle and the southern property line and use the LIST command I am getting a different bearing of N1d15'19''W instead of the N1d15'7''W did I mess up the drawing at some point or is the guide incorrect?

You are referring to the lot line shared by both lot 5 & lot 6 are you not?  I just checked my master drawing for the Oleson Village project and it matches exactly what you are getting.  Good work.  Keep going.

Edited by ReMark