Hatches, Viewports, and Draw Order

CyberAngel

Apparently I have overloaded AutoCAD's little mind. I needed a way to cover the background of a bubble note, which is a multileader with the standard circle for content. First I tried Wipeout, but it kept turning out dark in PDFs. Then I tried a solid hatch with override color 255. Obviously I want the note itself to display, so I set Draw Order for the hatch to Behind Boundary. In model space the note displays correctly, but in layouts the hatch moves to the front and takes on the color of the multileader's layer, whether the multileader is in model space or paper space.

The notes plot correctly, so these misbehaving hatches are more of a nuisance than a problem. Is there a simple way to fix this? Some system variable that reverses draw order in paper space or controls the appearance of hatches?