Thumbnail preview not showing in Explorer

garygoude

Recently starting having this problem. 1-2 months ago it was not a problem. I am not aware of any system variables being changed.

When using the WBLOCK command, no thumbnail preview is being saved with the block for previewing in Windows Explorer. I have check the RASTERPREVIEW system variable is set to 1, but this makes no difference.

When saving files normally I do not have a problem. The block previews are very useful for my day to day work, so if anyone can help I will be very grateful. Using AutoCAD 2011.

Thanks, Gary

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• garygoude

• ReMark

• SLW210

• KFW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not aware that this is the problem as general files saved via File>Save etc show their thumbnails perfectly in Explorer. Issue is isolated to files generated using wblock...any ideas?

No, not at all. I have been using AutoCAD 2011 since it was released, up to now. It is only the last month or so this has been happening, before this no problems! I can't figure it out. All files are set to save as AutoCAD 2000/LT 2000.dwg, as I have always used to maintain compatibility with my clients older systems. Like I say, this is a recent problem, 2 months ago it was fine....

download a wblock file i have just created here:

http://mecatec.co.uk/Downloads/wblock test file 01.dwg

download a png screenshot of what I preview in windows explorer here (you will see some files are visable as thumbnails and the wblock file is a creamy colour...):

http://mecatec.co.uk/Downloads/screenshot of explorer.png

@ SLW210 Just posted two links for wblock file examples...waiting approval from moderator

@ReMark...

Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

i5-2520M 2.5Ghz

8 GB RAM

Lenovo ThinkPAD T420

I can't get any of my drawings to show a preview in Windows Explorer, I checked all settings in Windows I could think of.

Previews fine when opening through AutoCAD. PDFs etc. Preview in Explorer, though I did notice a couple of random PDFs that had no preview.

Its a strange one, I dont understand why its only just started happening. The wblock files dont even preview in the AutoCAD "open" dialog box. All regular files are fine though. Prior everything used to preview and thumbnail in Windows Explorer. Looks like I will have to live with this then! Appreciate your help guys, if you happen to have any other thoughts, im all ears! Gary

And here I thought I was the only one.

I don't get previews when searching for a drawing to open in AutoCAD 2013 at work (Win7 Pro) but I do at home using Win7 Ultimate.

Its crazy, there got to be something slightly unstable in AutoCAD, we are only a small design office with 6 stations. Each station has its only slightly strange problem with AutoCAD. Mine has the issue with previews, another has its crosshair freeze dozens of times during the day, another the snap intersection doesn't work, and lots of other little things one station has and another doesn't! I will live with it, as do my colleagues with their issues. Thanks for you help in any case, Gary

Haa, ok I won't give up just yet then! I changed a few system variables a couple months back, but they was tweaking the visual performance actually operating AutoCAD. I was testing to try improve another work stations issues. I wonder if these may have had an influence, trouble is I have no record of what changes I made...oops! Going to rack my brain to try remember, any ideas in the meantime I'm all ears!

thumb.jpg

Öhm, there is a thumbnail in your picture. But it shows only your "Blank-Model-Backround" half page and the rest is white, isn't it?

Ithink my picture explains it (only tested with Acad 2012 and 2013).

Before -wblock did you use zoom extend and save that drawing.

If I'm wrong ... Sorry

Hi KFW, appreciate your input, I have just spent a few minutes trying this and other zoom positions and still nothing the thumbnail I get is still cream arrghh! Thank you though!