• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TKall

• Dadgad

• Jimmy111

• BIGAL

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks. That's what I am afraid of. I have a lot of other things to do but this is very relaxing to me. Like writing code. Soon, I'll be on my boat doing both.

Jimmy11 from a structural point of view there is actually a flaw in this concrete tank shape where the wall meets the floor there would be a chamfer or radius to reduce the shear stress possibly also in the wall corners, so trying to use two cubes plus other shapes to produce the reult would take a long time using a profile and a path took a couple of minutes.

Tkall nice images might pinch we are doing a $1,000,000 pump station project at moment.

. . . . I am kind of amazed to find a forum so packed with real experts. Do any of you write computer code, C#, VB.net, Java????

You will find most of the programming/coding discussions in the customization sub-forums:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?67-AutoCAD-Customization

Also, for AutoCAD related programming, this cooperative site is very good:

http://www.theswamp.org/

Damn, nicely done! :beer:

Don't be afraid to experiment with the commands, time permitting,

you are obviously a quick study, and yeah, I should think you are pretty well hooked after these. :D

Jimmy11 from a structural point of view there is actually a flaw in this concrete tank shape where the wall meets the floor there would be a chamfer or radius to reduce the shear stress possibly also in the wall corners, so trying to use two cubes plus other shapes to produce the reult would take a long time using a profile and a path took a couple of minutes.

Tkall nice images might pinch we are doing a $1,000,000 pump station project at moment.

It only takes about 5 minutes to draw this tank..

Wait a few.

That looks good Jimmy. And the walls are solid. My tank, which I made with the Loft command, has hollow walls. It looks ok, but it is not perfect. If you get the time I would like to know what you did. We use these tanks to build our treatment systems. I also would like to know how to create a hatch pattern from a photo.

Very simple. Like I said before. I drew a rectangle of the outside dimentions then extruded it with a 1.75 Degree taper.

Then I drew a rectangle of the inside cavity and extruded it with a taper. The subtracted the inner from the outer.

Then made the partition and joined the 2 solids. Then filleted the inside with a 1/2" radai. Took less than 10 minutes.

I used to do a lot of work like this.

Jimmy:

I tried it. Pretty slick. I just extruded both shapes, put the smaller one inside the larger and, like you said, subtracted the smaller from the larger. Thanks man.

Tom

You should really spend a few minutes looking at the MODELING panel on the ribbon or TOOLBAR, there are really only a few basic concepts which will cover 90% of things you want to model. Once they start to make sense you should explore the SOLID EDITING toolbar or panel.

UNION, SUBTRACT, INTERSECT, and INTERFERE are very important when modeling 3D SOLIDS.

If you have your HOVER TIPS turned on, just hovering over those icons for a couple seconds will expand

an instructional window, some have videos in them, to quickly describe what they do, and how they are used.

turn on your hover tool tips.jpg

tools to learn for modeling solids.JPG

:roll:Ok...I'll spend a few minutes. Dadgad...I'm a newbie man. The learning curve for this is so steep, I need a harness and a pair of linemans boots, you know the ones with the spikes. I have been working every tutorial and when someone on this forum has a technique I explore it. So please, keep them coming. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this site.

Tom

Excellent, I feared that you had steered clear of the tutorials, on the buzz you got from modeling those submersible pumps.

In light of your having done such a nice job on those, I was surprised by your reaction to the SUBTRACT functionality, which

is really a cornerstone of the whole modeling mind and toolset.

UNION is addition, SUBTRACT is subtraction, INTERSECT is all common volumes, and pretty much the same as INTERFERE, but INTERFERE

gives you some interesting options when you discover CLASHES (solids in the same space, where you don't want them to be),

such as deleting the interference object, or saving it, if you have need of it.

They make some pretty nice guitars up in Bozeman these days. :D

My wife and I each have a Bozeman made Gibson J-200 Super Jumbo.

There is a lot to learn here and each time something new becomes clear to me , I get pretty excited about it. When I wrote my computer program I didn't know how to write code. I just had something I wanted to do in mind and started figuring it out. 800 pages of code, 2.5 years , and one patent attorney later, I have a patented computer program. I am loving this because for the first time I can put ideas into a form that others can understand. I have hired a lot of draftsmen in the past and I always wound up spending more time explaining and sketching then I figured it would take me to do myself.

Thanks Dadgad.

I sold a beautiful Koa Nick Lucas model from Bozeman about 17 years ago when I moved to the tropics,

along with most of my guitar collection. I used to do Gibson warranty work around 1980 in L.A..

The Bozeman production blows Kalamazoo right out of the water.

Glad you are having so much fun learning modeling. :D