Ergonomic Knife in AutoCad2012 - Big Problems!

duggibobo

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• duggibobo

• SLW210

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome ReMark! Mind writing somewhat of an explanation to how you did? I see that you wrote a lot of lines but I mean, what are those rectangular things you did everywhere on the edge?

I would also like to make the knife look somewhat realistic, with like, realistic colors and so on, what commando do you use to bring up the menu of different layers to put on it?

Im quite proud about what I've made so far, it looks real good. http://www.speedyshare.com/CU6cb/KnifeProfiles.dwg Mind having a look? Thank you so much!!! Youre the best! :D

From left to right - looks like a Sweep of Profile (red) along path (green).

Then Subtract.

I would have used only two lines for the profile and the Sweep as Surface.'

Then Slice with Surface. I guess about the same amount of work.

First I trimmed out the edge of the knife from a copy of the original profile.

At each end I drew a circle with a radius of 5 units. I used the Extend command to lengthen the ends of the line.

I drew a new profile, shown in red, that basically represented the edge I wanted to put on my blade.

I extruded this profile along my line. I did not draw those "boxes" as you call them. AutoCAD did that as it worked its way down the spline you created.

Once I had the profile extruded I subtracted it from my blade.

Since I have no idea how thick your blade is you may have to attempt the process more than once to get the desired results. It may mean having to tweak the profile used to put the edge on the blade. I used a 5 degree angle which probably should have been more like 8 degrees.

Your colors will be brighter if you use a Realistic visual style. Most of my images depict a Conceptual visual style. Beyond that you could assign materials to your blade and handle and render it but that is not something I do often enough to be able to instruct someone else how to do. Sorry.

By the way, layer colors can be assigned in the Layer Properties Manager or (and I hesitate to say this) you can override the default colors I assigned by going into your Properties Palette looking under the General heading and finding the option for Color.

I'll go look at your drawing momentarily.

From left to right - looks like a Sweep of Profile (red) along path (green).

Then Subtract.

I would have used only two lines for the profile and the Sweep as Surface.'

Then Slice with Surface. I guess about the same amount of work.

Boy I wish you had beat me to the punch this time round!:lol:

What, were you taking a lunch break?:shock:

Alright I looked at your knife. Looks good. For extra credit you could always serrate it. Now that would be really cool!

Maybe you can create a hole in the handle that a cord could pass through? All it would take is a circle that can be PressPulled through the handle to create the void or create a cylinder (an Extruded circle) and subtract it from the handle.

You could even put some teeth on the knife blade or add a logo or insignia. Might as well try to add a little extra to make up for handing the assignment in late. Never hurts.

Edited by ReMark

Thank you so much for all this, but what program do you use to create these?

Because can I post them onto AutoCad or how am I supposed to fix it all together into a [Autocad Drawing] file?

Thanks a lot!

Somehow I missed seeing this post.

Everything I have shown you has been created using plain AutoCAD 2013. No smoke, no mirrors, no fancy tricks.

The fruit of perseverance is success.

Edited by ReMark

He said it was enough for an E to do that knife that I had done so far, last time I showed you an update

Thank you so much. My holiday is saved. Take care,

He said it was enough for an E to do that knife that I had done so far, last time I showed you an update

Thank you so much. My holiday is saved. Take care,

In the states, an E would be a failing grade, I hope that isn't what your teacher meant? :shock:

In the states, an E would be a failing grade, I hope that isn't what your teacher meant? :shock:

lol that's what i was thinking :lol:

i think in the UK now tho all grades are 'passes' . it's a joke.

Quite the opposite actually.

E-S-N-U system (sometimes an O is used),

O= Outstanding

E= Excellent

S= Satisfactory

N= Needs Improvement

U= Unsatisfactory

E is rarely used around here for failing and predominently with the weighted GPA. I still don't see the problem with an F, why change it?

In my opinion grades should be numerical (0-100) although the old A - F system with the option of giving a + or - is acceptable.

Excellent to Satisfactory. That's a wide range.