• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• dbroada

• ReMark

• Tyke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use both in AutoCAD 2010 & 2013. I use toolbar in nanoCAD 4.5 (as that is what it has) I have a friend who still uses a tablet, and he writes some very advanced code

Classic 95% of the time. When I have to do some clipping of PDF underlays I switch to the 2d drafting ribbon. tried to use the ribbon but found it to be clunky and hard to learn the classic interface is more elegant and in line with how I work.

I'm not a fan of the 'ribbon method' (sound familiar? ;)) and much prefer the 'classic' look and feel, afterall it's what I've used for so many years, the ribbon seems bulky and cumbersome to use. However, I realise that in the not too distant future the ribbon will probably take over, particularly from the icon / toolbar method.

Since using W7 in a professional and domestic capacity I have been 'forced' to use ribbons in other applications like word, excel and outlook so I guess I should dive in and learn it with AutoCAD.

Personally, I think it depends on how intuituve the layout is.

Microsoft works because it doesn't have a ludircous amount of commands it has to streamline, per se.

In AutoCAD, there are simply too many commands to effectively navigate, IMO.

Personally, I think it depends on how intuituve the layout is.

Microsoft works because it doesn't have a ludircous amount of commands it has to streamline, per se.

In AutoCAD, there are simply too many commands to effectively navigate, IMO.

The OOTB Ribbon should be heavily modified by the user, trying to use the default one is almost pointless except for complete beginners. Customize it to your way of working and after a few weeks you won't go back. I use a hybrid of a Customized Ribbon and some elements from Classic WS, like having the layers, proerties, and a few other tool bars always available. I also have hundreds of 'quick keys' defined in my lisp routines so the combination of typing common commands and pulling others from the ribbon or toolbars makes for a streamlined work flow.

And make several Work Spaces, I have one to emulate a Clean Screen but it has more tools that the default Clean Screen command, and I have another for 3D work.

The power of the Ribbon in AutoCAD is the Contextual part of the Ribbon which, of course, you miss out on by not using the Ribbon.

• 1 month later...

The first version of AutoCAD I used was 2000. The classic view is what I "grew up" with as a drafter. Now that I have been at my professional job using AutoCAD 40 hours a week, I mostly just use lisps and keyboard shortcuts. I still use the Classic view. Although the other drafter in our office uses the Ribbon. I, personally, find the Ribbon visually obtrusive. BUT, to each their own. That's the wonderful thing about AutoCAD is its ability to be customized. =)