Having DTEXT command go on "TEXT" layer?

Just seeing if someone knows how to change the DTEXT command to be typed on a specified layer. I have poked around and came across some macros editing but this did not do the trick. Super thanks in advance! :geek:

[&DText]^C^C-layer;s;TEXT;;dtext;

Just seeing if someone knows how to change the DTEXT command to be typed on a specified layer. I have poked around and came across some macros editing but this did not do the trick. Super thanks in advance! :geek:

[&DText]^C^C-layer;s;TEXT;;dtext;

Did you get some sort of error? This should change to the layer "TEXT" then begin the DTEXT command. Do you have a layer named "TEXT"?

Dtext defaults to the layer on which previous text is written, if you give a null response to the start point and then left click with the mouse when it says "Enter text".

So you do not have to change layers.

Lee's Layer Director is awesome, and will do so much MORE than that which you are are trying to accomplish, very highly recommended.

Thanks Lee! :beer:

Hey guys thanks for all of your responses. No I am not getting an error, but when I use dtext it just enters text on the current layer. I had a look at Lees program earlier. Very detailed I must say, impressive. Will give it a go at the office tomorrow. Appreciate everyones input as always. God bless.

when I use dtext it just enters text on the current layer.

This is because you are not using the correct sequence of keystrokes.

To begin with, you must have some Dtext already in the drawing and on the correct layer.

Now make any other layer current.

Now start the Dtext command again, and at the first prompt where it wants a start point, DO NOT PICK A POINT. Instead just press Enter.

Now when the prompt says Enter text, firstly move the crosshairs and pick with a left click of the mouse where you want the text to start, AND THEN type in your text.

Your text will be on the same layer as the previous text, with the same style, size and justification, AND NOT ON THE CURRENT LAYER.

Sorry for shouting, but it is imperative to do things in the correct sequence, otherwise you will have to fall back on Macros and Lisp, when what you want is already built into AutoCAD.

If you erase the latest text, then you have to start the procedure from the beginning again. This procedure does not work with Mtext.

This is because you are not using the correct sequence of keystrokes.

To begin with, you must have some Dtext already in the drawing and on the correct layer.

Now make any other layer current.

Now start the Dtext command again, and at the first prompt where it wants a start point, DO NOT PICK A POINT. Instead just press Enter.

Now when the prompt says Enter text, firstly move the crosshairs and pick with a left click of the mouse where you want the text to start, AND THEN type in your text.

Your text will be on the same layer as the previous text, with the same style, size and justification, AND NOT ON THE CURRENT LAYER.

Sorry for shouting, but it is imperative to do things in the correct sequence, otherwise you will have to fall back on Macros and Lisp, when what you want is already built into AutoCAD.

If you erase the latest text, then you have to start the procedure from the beginning again. This procedure does not work with Mtext.

Eldon, that is interesting, thanks for the explanation.

Much as I dislike DTEXT (which is quite a bit), I had never been able to understand why

when I am checking drawings I have never run into any DTEXT, the layer of which

I needed to fix. This may be one of the reasons some old schoolers are partial to it,

I had always been at a loss to understand why one would choose to use it over MTEXT

which I greatly prefer. :beer:

I guess because DText is simple and really all we need, We only use it to enter small "general notes" when required. Otherwise, we have out own written program to enter text, which is 90% of the time 'isometric'. I believe Lee MAcs program will serve the purpose. Much obliged to everyone for giving your valuable input! You make the forums great! emot-rock.gif

It goes without saying, but LEe Mac's program worked like a charm. Simple, to the point and my guys are happy! BING BAM BOOOOOOOM!!!! PROPs!!

Here is my forum donation.. emot-20bux.gif .. totally..

It goes without saying, but LEe Mac's program worked like a charm. Simple, to the point and my guys are happy! BING BAM BOOOOOOOM!!!! PROPs!!

Thank you tmelancon!

That's fantastic to hear, I'm delighted that you and your guys like the program.

All the best,

Lee