Issue with a rectangle off of a base point

iovanepr

Hi everyone,

I ran into a weird issue when I tried to create a rectangle off of a base point. Whenever I type in the x and y coordinates, a rectangle is created however the coordinate i typed in is now the end point and the rest of the rectangle extends to the bottom left of my screen and is beyond my zoom extent.

I can create a rectangle using just the x coordinate off of a base point but it seems like the y coordinate is screwing everything up. Has anyone ran into this type of issue before? I was able to create rectangles all night using a base point but for some reason this issue just started happening to me. Thank you!!!

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

It sounds like you had DYNAMIC INPUT turned on last night,

and it is now turned off. F12 will cycle Dynamic Input on or off.

You can also turn it on and off at the bottom of your screen on your status bar.

If you are not using Dynamic Input and want to create a rectangle,

the coordinates of which are RELATIVE to the base point then enter @ at the

commandline, before inputting the x and y distances.

The default behavior, I believe, will treat your coordinate input as ABSOLUTE coordinates.

You can also set your personal drafting preference for dynamic input, to either Relative or Absolute, as shown in the image. In order to access the dialog box, type OSNAP at the commandline, and enter.

dynamic input pointer settings.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

Thank you for your quick responses. I tried using all your suggestions but I'm still having the same issue. Dynamic input has been on and I've tried entering the coordinates both as relative and absolute and I keep getting the same screwy rectangle. I attached some photos to explain what I mean better...

1.png

2.png

3.png

THANK YOU!!

Yes, I just noticed that the starting point of the rectangle is the ucs. Very weird.

I do not see any "weird" rectangles at the origin or any other "weird" behavior in your file - only logical behavior.

Go through the process of whatever it is you are trying to do.

Hit F2

Copy the steps here.

Attach the resulting file here.

What is the size of the rectangle you are trying to create? (x and y please)

What is the desired location of the rectangle you are trying to create?

BTW - your shower appears to be embedded 1/8 into the wall.

What size studs will you be using to frame the interior walls?

Will they be finished with dry-wall? If so, what thickness?

Each time I try to produce the desired rectangle, the rectangle ends up in a completely different spot.

Command: REC

RECTANG

Specify first corner point or [Chamfer/Elevation/Fillet/Thickness/Width]: @1,5

Specify other corner point or [Area/Dimensions/Rotation]: @9,20

Command:

Command:

Command: _qsave

Drawing1.dwg

I'm trying to create a toilet tank from the rectangle. The coordinate of the rectangle is x=9, y=20. But the rectangle is to be offset x=1, y=5 from the bottom left interior corner of the bathroom.

Thank you JD Mather for all your help

Drawing1.dwg

Drawing1.dwg

Each time I try to produce the desired rectangle, the rectangle ends up in a completely different spot.

Command: REC

RECTANG

Specify first corner point or [Chamfer/Elevation/Fillet/Thickness/Width]: @1,5

I don't understand this use of Relative coordinates for specifying the first point of a rectangle?