Downloading Windows8 on Mac via BootCamp

djleon

Hello,

Have any of you downloaded Windows 8 on your mac OS X to run AutoCAD Design Suite 2014? If so, do you have any feedback, suggestions, were you happy with the result? Thank you!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tuns

• f700es

• djleon

• mikekmx

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it's the only reason. I have a MacBook Pro that would allow me to work from home and remotely. Design Suite 2014 is not compatible with the operating system and won't be until sometime later this year. My Mac should be able to run the program. I ran the tutorial, but it seriously lagged. Anyway, I was thinking it would be prudent to run it on the Mac instead of buying a desktop for $1000.

Well I never knew you could run Windows on a Mac OS. I have heard of people removing the Mac OS and replacing it with Windows though. If it lags it's going to be really bad for AutoCAD. Besides, for work purposes a PC is better than a Mac any day. For home, a Mac has it's fair share of advantages.

"Suggestions" comes after, "Have any of you downloaded Windows 8 on your mac OS X to run AutoCAD Design Suite 2014? If so,..."

I can be fairly blunt sometimes so don't be offended if I am.

"Suggestions" comes after, "Have any of you downloaded Windows 8 on your mac OS X to run AutoCAD Design Suite 2014? If so,..."

I can be fairly blunt sometimes so don't be offended if I am.

:lol: no worries

I do not have a Mac (as a matter of fact right now i don't have a computer) mine crashed. Using the wife's right now and she will not let load any of my programs on hers. Now back to the point i would like get a mac and it looks like the following programs may work ok with Autocad programs.

TURBOCAD MAC V5 (can't remember how it was worded but think it works with DWG files

ICAD MAC (2D/3D) reads and writes DWG files.

This is just 2 of the many cad programs that work on the Mac

Hope this is of some help

Thank you. As a contractor I have access to AutoCAD Design Suite 2014 paid for, so I don't want to use a different program, but I appreciate the recommendation. I know this program runs on Windows 8. Windows can be downloaded on the Mac and accessed using boot camp. The difference is paying $100+ for windows to use my $4k laptop or buying a PC for $1k and only using it for work. TUN and MIKE recommend I go with the PC.

Yes win8 and 7 can run on any x86 based mac. Bootcamp will be the best as this is better than say parallels as this is just virturalization. I've helped a few with this before. If you have mighty mouse you might have some issues in windows.

Tuns, I in fact used to have a version of OSX tiger running on one of my dells. Look up hackintosh ;)

I read the OP and I suggested to buy the PC as it is better for work. You then state that you were "really looking for feedback" giving the sense that you didn't want any suggestions. A more appropriate question to pose would be "Have any of you downloaded Windows 8 on your mac OS X to run AutoCAD Design Suite 2014? If so, do you have any feedback and were you happy with the result?" If you're looking for a feedback specific answer then ask a feedback specific question.

Tuns, I in fact used to have a version of OSX tiger running on one of my dells. Look up hackintosh ;)

That's odd, I would have never thought Windows could operate on a Mac OS simply because of the huge differences between the two. :?

Dual boot through bootcamp would be the way to go. I would probably check the MAC forums, for any real world experience with Windows 8 and AutoCAD on bootcamp.

Tuns,

When you dual boot, you are just selecting which OS you boot into, no real performance hit.

How does it work? How much extra ram does it take to run another OS at the same time?

Depends on what you want to give it. Go and download Oracle Virtural Box (it's free) and with it you can install another OS and use at the same time you use Windows.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

A simple test is to download a linux iso file and launch it from VB and see how it runs. Doing this with OSX is a bit more detailed due to the fact that you will have to use "tricks" to fool the OS that this is official Apple hardware and not just another PC.

When I had OSX Tiger running on y P4 Dell I had to use a few tricks to make it work and then I had to edit a few drivers to work with my hardware. Most were easy enough and only my video card needed some real edits. It's a lot easier to do now. As long as you have fairly new Intel based (AMD is more of a hassle) PC you can buy a copy of OSX and make it run on your PC (partitioned hard drive or another drive altogether).

When you dual boot, you are just selecting which OS you boot into, no real performance hit.

Yep, the best way to go. Using a VM (virtural machine) is OK but no where near the performance of running full hardware.