• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tuns

• f700es

• djleon

• mikekmx

Top Posters In This Topic

What would be the point of running a Mac OSX on a PC? I see no real advantages that a Mac OS has over Windows. Am I missing something when I say that?

Same as running any dual OS, some programs are not available for all OS's and some programs work better on one OS than the others.

Exactly, there are several Mac only apps out there and some might want to try them or use them. This was the reason I tried it. I wanted to play with 2 mac only design apps. One was HighDesign, a 2D cad app and the other was Cheetah 3D, a 3d modeling and rendering app. Both were OK but didn't really knock my socks off.

Also someone might be a developer and need to be able to test their programs on both systems.

No, there is no real advantage with OSX as compared to Windows. It is only a matter of personal taste and opinion. Or simply what a user is used to.

Ok thank you. Anyways, I think if the OP is having lag issues when he runs Windows on his Mac then he should deeply consider buying the PC. Reason being is I'm assuming he can only work at about 60-70% efficiency so he can only get ~3 jobs done in the time he could get 4 done on the PC. The rate of work alone would make up for the cost of the PC.

Well I'll have to make some assumptions here...

AutoDesk Design Suite only offers a few programs that run on OSX, SketchBook, Mudbox and Alias Design. The rest are PC only. He said he is using a Mac Book Pro but not the specs on said laptop. I would have to bet he is using one (13" model) that has a video card with shared memory (Intel HD 4000) which will be "laggy" when using AutoCAD based products (and any 3D application) even in Windows.

Yeah I see me paying $1,200 (13" i5) and $1,500 (13" i7) for laptops with Intel video cards.......Not!

i don't believe you can realistically use autocad professionally with a laptop as your main computer

Sure you can Mike. As long as the laptop has a good cpu and dedicated nvidia card I see no issue using one. Now I would use a larger lcd instead of the laptop screen. For me a 3rd gen i5, 6-8 gb ram, 1 gb gt600 series card would be fine. Better specs than my workstation I have at the office.