• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Organic

• f700es

• ReMark

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Isn't case #3 and #4 allowed under the Subscription agreement, if the employer allows it? I mean if he has to take work home and do it.

If used for business purposes of the licensee, then the employee can certainly use AutoCAD to work from a location other than the primary workplace whether on Subscription or not. The scenario described however is an employee using AutoCAD to profit someone other than the licensee, ie themself.

If used for business purposes of the licensee, then the employee can certainly use AutoCAD to work from a location other than the primary workplace whether on Subscription or not. The scenario described however is an employee using AutoCAD to profit someone other than the licensee, ie themself.

Yes that was my point and it used to be only on subscription as this was one of the advantages.

Seems to be one if the selling points

http://www.autodesk.com/subscription/licensing

Could be... I've only been acquainted with the Subscription terms since 2010. "Home use rights" for Subscription is not the same as the included secondary computer install, it grants permission for a 3rd install of the same license.

I've never read an Adobe EULA, but that doesn't mean I can take home a work computer with Creative Suite on it and use it to open a graphic arts business.

If your boss is okay with it then I don't see why you can't. Your boss (/company) paid for a AUtoCad license that can be used 24 hours day. If they are only open 7 hours a day then the boss can still let you the company's software for a further 8 hours after work if they want to o let you. My point is, that whether the software is used for a total of 7, 15 or 24 hours a day, Autodesk has still been paid.

Isn't case #3 and #4 allowed under the Subscription agreement, if the employer allows it? I mean if he has to take work home and do it.

#3 certainly is as part of our subscription.

#3 certainly is as part of our subscription.

I must be confused because I thought you previously said you've never read a software license agreement. :roll: Regardless, being on Subscription would not change the legality of any of the scenarios as they were presented in post #88.

For what it's worth....your license agreement is stored locally lest anyone thought the license was not readily available to them. So much for plausible deniability ;)

About > Product Information > License agreement.

ADSK Software License.jpg

If your boss is okay with it then I don't see why you can't. Your boss (/company) paid for a AUtoCad license that can be used 24 hours day. If they are only open 7 hours a day then the boss can still let you the company's software for a further 8 hours after work if they want to o let you. My point is, that whether the software is used for a total of 7, 15 or 24 hours a day, Autodesk has still been paid.

The original scenario is "using your company's software to do side work for profit". (In other words, using software that does not belong to you to make money)

You have twisted it around to where the user is doing work FOR the license holder, which of course it allowed.

Lets replace AutoCAD with the company car you use at work, a new luxury car with full leather and all the other good stuff. Would you take it home so you can drive your child to the prom in fashion? Would you take the old couple next door to the store or the doctors office with it? Now would you sit at the airport and charge people for a ride to their hotels?

Lets replace AutoCAD with the company car you use at work, a new luxury car with full leather and all the other good stuff. Would you take it home so you can drive your child to the prom in fashion? Would you take the old couple next door to the store or the doctors office with it? Now would you sit at the airport and charge people for a ride to their hotels?

Reminds me of a time at a certain employer; some of the Surveyors were allowed to drive the company trucks to/from work as part of their benefits.

One of them got caught using the company truck to help his buddy MOVE on the weekend. He was promptly fired.

Reminds me of a time at a certain employer; some of the Surveyors were allowed to drive the company trucks to/from work as part of their benefits.
One of my neighbours (we live in a block of flats, nothing posh) brought one of these home once. It was the company car!

The MD bought it, retired and decided he couldn't afford to keep it so gave it to the company as their shared car. The problem was, they were all too young to get insurance on it. My neighbour had just turned 30 so was at last allowed to drive it.

800px-aston_martin_lagonda_west_london.jpg

Lets replace AutoCAD with the company car you use at work, a new luxury car with full leather and all the other good stuff. Would you take it home so you can drive your child to the prom in fashion?

Yes. I already use it for full personal use etc.

Would you take the old couple next door to the store or the doctors office with it?

Sure.

Now would you sit at the airport and charge people for a ride to their hotels?

Sure, if I could be bothered. I'd pay for the petrol though and not use the company's fuel card.

Organic would probably start a dial-a-ride service and charge people for bringing them to and from their doctor's office then pocket the money.

I couldn't be bothered although this does remind me of an article in the paper the other day about a guy who dresses as a ninja and drives around town doing odd jobs for people (taking them places, picking up pizza for them, bringing them food at 4am etc) lol.

The original scenario is "using your company's software to do side work for profit". (In other words, using software that does not belong to you to make money)

You have twisted it around to where the user is doing work FOR the license holder, which of course it allowed.

If the company allowed the person to use the software though, then they have given their consent/blessing.

One of them got caught using the company truck to help his buddy MOVE on the weekend. He was promptly fired.

Perhaps it is different in the US although with my company car I have full personal use of it and the firm I work for covers all costs, including all fuel used.

If the company allowed the person to use the software though, then they have given their consent/blessing.

:lol: We're done here. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Have a good one.