Extruding shapes

Lentezza

AutoCAD has a lot of idiosyncrasies about what type of object can be used for certain tasks, and also can be finicky about converting objects into other objects. For the most part, I think if you FLATTEN the objects in WCS/Plan view, either REGION/BPOLY would give you profiles you could PRESSPULL/EXTRUDE into solids.

True but this is why I try to start with a good, clean closed polyline. It's pretty easy to start with curves, arc and lines and then trim and join into your closed poly. I am not faulting the OP as I bet they were never showed the best way to do it :(

Bad habits are the toughest to "unlearn".

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lentezza

• f700es

• ReMark

• steven-g

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Lentezza, I took the liberty of redoing your design. Have a look.

From the top view all of the full size shelves are the same now.

Screenshot_2.jpg

This made it easier to layout.

Screenshot_3.jpg

You can use 2 methods to create a polyline from the 3Dpoly. Explode and use the Pedit command to create the polyline or use the Boundary command and pick a point inside the 3Dpoly.

Thank you for continuing!!

I tried both - don´t work. BPOLY, when a click into the shelf I get the message that the boundary is not closed, while in the properties palette it shows "closed"

EXPLODE then PEDIT M won´t let me JOIN the pieces together again...

Edited by Lentezza
typing error

OK I finally had a chance to look at the dwg. Why aren't the curved shelves the same? When looking plan view they look just like random sizes, why not make them all the same? It would make the process a lot easier.

As you can see they just seem random.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46199[/ATTACH]

Not trying to be critical but as I said one shape would help matters.

Thank you for trying to make things easier. But actually the design is finished.

It has nothing to do with the differences between the Mac and PC versions of the program.

I simply copied and pasted your shelf profiles into a new drawing and used PRESSPULL to give them a height. Then I copied and pasted them back into your drawing. I can't explain why that worked except I came across a similar problem here over the weekend when I was playing around with a drawing of a railroad flat car that someone was having a problem with. He too kept getting surfaces instead of solids. Try as I might I could not consistently overcome the problem in the original drawing. That's when I decided to pull his geometry into a new drawing and it then worked. Maybe nestly can clue us both in as to what was happening.

Glad to hear my shelves were of use to you.

Yes, the really seem to be!! Thanx again and also for telling me how you did it. Obviously this seems not to work on my system, because it was what I did for providing the reduced drawings which I attached to my posts. Without having the same result.

In my first post I asked if the shelf profiles were the same but never got a reply. It was only after I delved deeper into the drawing that I realized they were different. I agree that it would make things much easier.

In answer to your question "Are the profiles for each long shelf different?" in my second post I wrote "And, yes, non of the long shapes are equal." Maybe this was not sufficiently explicit...

Hi Lentezza, I took the liberty of redoing your design. Have a look.

From the top view all of the full size shelves are the same now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46200[/ATTACH]

This made it easier to layout.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46201[/ATTACH]

Thanx again. And again: the design is finished. Consisting irregularities are part of it!!! :)

Edited by Lentezza
typing error