The end of upgrades

CADTutor

Well plain AutoCAD is (today) $4,740 usd. AutoCAD Design Suite Standard is $4,525 usd, which includes AutoCAD, Raster Design, SketchBook Designer, Showcase and Mudbox. When you buy Revit in a suite you get AutoCAD. You can't buy it alone so you always get your moneys worth in software.

You can still buy the Standard Building Design Suite ($5,775) without Revit but I could see this option more for residential builders that don't really need Revit. If some do there is the Revit LT Suite ($1,495) for them.

I still see AutoCAD sticking around. I do feel that current pricing and editions could use a change.

AutoCAD LT, as it is, should be $500. No more, that's it. Too many competitors give their "LT" version away. Compete or get out of the game!

AutoCAD Standard: Full AutoCAD with 3D features, database connectivity, LISP and customization but no rendering engine, $,1,500. Most users don't use it so why pay for it.

AutoCAD Pro: Everything it is today. $2,500

I agree with all this. :)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• ReMark

• steven-g

• Tuns

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be glad to be the VP of the AutoCAD division of AutoDesk. ;)

After the announcement of the change of pricing I would give all existing subscription members a prorated discount depending on the product they had. It's simple keep loyal customers happy and try to bring in more users.

Let's start a write in campaign!

The CEO of AutoDesk said that he expects to hear "some moaning and groaning" when word of the new policy finally reaches its zenith. Until then loyal customers will take it in stride and those who are still using r9, r14, 2000, etc. won't care anyways as they had no immediate plans to upgrade anyway.

I will support you all the way f700es! But, if anything bad happens, I'm out.

Would it be possible to start a subscription, upgrade the product, then end the subscription?

They pick up the phone and tell you the good news. Then they follow up, as is their right, with a visit to your office to make sure you complied. You have any idea how aggressive AutoDesk is when it comes to running their software without their permission? Unless you move to China. Then it's OK.

It is not, however, OK to pull the tiger's tail then scream bloody murder when you get bitten. That my friend is a big No-No.

If all you need is a program that does lines and circles, then Draftsight is for you. It's free, and while not as "powerful" as AutoCAN'T, it will get the 2D job done. If you're trying to dive into 3D, why would you even both with a program that cannot create a link between parts and assemblies that will adjust parametrically? You're just wasting time by creating a pretty picture that you can't really do anything with.

If all you need is a program that does lines and circles, then Draftsight is for you. It's free, and while not as "powerful" as AutoCAN'T, it will get the 2D job done. If you're trying to dive into 3D, why would you even both with a program that cannot create a link between parts and assemblies that will adjust parametrically? You're just wasting time by creating a pretty picture that you can't really do anything with.
Exactly my point. AutoCAD is great if all you need is 2D, non-associative, non-parametric, non-informational "drawings". That's not me downing AutoCAD at all, that's simply the facts - AutoCAD is a drafting tool only. Many industries want more than just linework. My industry is one of them. If you do not know Revit, you're either not going to get hired or you're coming in at entry level and you will learn Revit. The director of BIM operations didn't even install AutoCAD on his entry level guys when they got hired, haha.

Because some people are not using it for assemblies. Perhaps it is some type of free form industrial design? Abstract 3d model for, well who knows. Some just don't need that functionality. It might be just a "pretty picture" to some but design is like that.

Look at my primary job, I maintain the space database for a small university. All the data is stored in dwg files. When I update a room on a plan the database updates with it size and attributes automatically. I do not need a BIM model for this as the file would be 10x the size and performance would be a joke.

Also I'll refer back to 2 older jobs I had as a casework planner/designer. Full autocad was all we needed. We had a library built with all the models, their sizes and pricing options. I could open a dwg file and start dropping in our units based on the specifications from the customer. The 3D files were light and fast. 3D was used to so we could compile plans and elevations from the models. Revit/Inventor would have been such over kill in this situation as well.

Not trying to argue your position just pointing out that there are hundreds of needs that vanilla autocad can fill.

Not trying to argue your position just pointing out that there are hundreds of needs that vanilla autocad can fill.
The only argument in my opinion is the price tag. All that you've said I agree with, other than the price of the software that's doing all that you mentioned.

Any other DWG replica, or lower cost alternative can do the exact same thing.... some things better, some things not. I'm sure one day programs like Revit and Inventor will be in the same spot. If someone needs "drawings" or "general 3D" then you have a huge amount of options. Literally, huuuuge amount. But if you need or want above and beyond the things you've mentioned, then you have very limited options and those options are programs like Revit and Inventor.

REVIT has not fully fulfilled its BIM promise. Anyways, what does the contractor constructing the building need in the field? Does he or his subcontractors need BIM? No. They need a set of working drawings. Those happen to be ...drumroll please... 2D drawings.

REVIT has not fully fulfilled its BIM promise. Anyways, what does the contractor constructing the building need in the field? Does he or his subcontractors need BIM? No. They need a set of working drawings.

As they have for thousands of years. But it's worked for so long! Throw it on the list of things to change along with the wheel.